The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I need pictures and stories…please help

Forums General Melanoma Community I need pictures and stories…please help

Hi friends,

This bulletin board is all too familiar to me….I just lost my brother January 30,2010 after he fought Melanoma for almost 8 years. I found this bulletin board years ago and after my brother passed and I posted the news I did not return to the bulletin board because for many reasons related to grief and coping.I miss my brohter desperately and I was with him until after his last breath, I told him I would continue fighting Melanoma in his name and that I would tell people how amazing he was…..this is my Mission in life until the day I die I will fight Melanoma.

Hi friends,

This bulletin board is all too familiar to me….I just lost my brother January 30,2010 after he fought Melanoma for almost 8 years. I found this bulletin board years ago and after my brother passed and I posted the news I did not return to the bulletin board because for many reasons related to grief and coping.I miss my brohter desperately and I was with him until after his last breath, I told him I would continue fighting Melanoma in his name and that I would tell people how amazing he was…..this is my Mission in life until the day I die I will fight Melanoma.

Now I need your help. I am putting together a presentation so that I can talk to school aged kids about Melanoma and hopefully prevent a Melanoma diagnosis. I need to put some stories together ..I especially need to accompany the stories with a picture of the person who has had Melanoma whether they are a survivor or since passed from this horrible cancer. I need these young people  to relate and the best way to do that is to put together something that will keep their attention….in particular younger people and people that as a young person did something they feel may have led to a Melanoma diagnosis.

Please contact me at [email protected]. I would love to share yours or your loved ones story with others so that we can make a positive impact and save lives with awareness….. Please help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Misty Dobson

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Replies
      Linda/Kentucky
      Participant

Misty,

What a wonderful way to memoralize your brother.  I think this is a great idea.  I would definitaly be interested in doing this but I may not be able to do it right away. 

I have been spending most of my time trying to find our "last hope" effort to something he will respond to.  So please continue from time to time to post this with your e-mail because I do think this is a very important issue that needs to be addressed with younger people.  I see people going to the tanning beds, lying in the sun for hours without appropriate sunscreen and it makes me cringe, but what the heck I did it too up until my husbands diagnoses 11 months ago.  I refuse to do any of that now. 

So again, please continue to post this and I promise I will do my best to tell our story, hopefully it will be one of success, if not I pray it will help some other person stay away from this horrible disease!!!!!!

Linda/Kentucky

Linda/Kentucky
        Participant

Misty,

What a wonderful way to memoralize your brother.  I think this is a great idea.  I would definitaly be interested in doing this but I may not be able to do it right away. 

I have been spending most of my time trying to find our "last hope" effort to something he will respond to.  So please continue from time to time to post this with your e-mail because I do think this is a very important issue that needs to be addressed with younger people.  I see people going to the tanning beds, lying in the sun for hours without appropriate sunscreen and it makes me cringe, but what the heck I did it too up until my husbands diagnoses 11 months ago.  I refuse to do any of that now. 

So again, please continue to post this and I promise I will do my best to tell our story, hopefully it will be one of success, if not I pray it will help some other person stay away from this horrible disease!!!!!!

Linda/Kentucky

LizzM
          Participant

I sent you an email, Misty.

~~Liz

LizzM
            Participant

I sent you an email, Misty.

~~Liz

mantonucci
              Keymaster

Hi Misty:  We may be able to help you with this!  We have a video that was produced for us a couple of years ago, that's appropriate for school aged children.  Email me at: [email protected] and we can discuss getting you a copy.  Thanks for your efforts!

mantonucci
                Keymaster

Hi Misty:  We may be able to help you with this!  We have a video that was produced for us a couple of years ago, that's appropriate for school aged children.  Email me at: [email protected] and we can discuss getting you a copy.  Thanks for your efforts!

bcl
                  Participant

Hi Misty,  here is very moving youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHXxng9UE

Ceri's mom Julie recently presented this footage at our local teen tanning bylaw hearings. I met teens, who had never  known Ceri, galvanized into action by her message.  I will email you some other links that may be useful:) take care, linda

bcl
                    Participant

Hi Misty,  here is very moving youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHXxng9UE

Ceri's mom Julie recently presented this footage at our local teen tanning bylaw hearings. I met teens, who had never  known Ceri, galvanized into action by her message.  I will email you some other links that may be useful:) take care, linda

sarahandkawika
                      Participant

Misty,

My Oncologist started a program w/ his students at UCI called Spot a Spot. It is focused on school aged children. You may want to look into it. They get alot of donations to give to students and have med students help with presentation. I think you may like the info….I will e-mail you  w/ other stuff. 

I have approached cancer in the same way…I am working with UCI to get them to help me do assemblies for the schools around my home.  Thanks for passing it forward.

Sarah

sarahandkawika
                        Participant

Misty,

My Oncologist started a program w/ his students at UCI called Spot a Spot. It is focused on school aged children. You may want to look into it. They get alot of donations to give to students and have med students help with presentation. I think you may like the info….I will e-mail you  w/ other stuff. 

I have approached cancer in the same way…I am working with UCI to get them to help me do assemblies for the schools around my home.  Thanks for passing it forward.

Sarah

sarahandkawika
                          Participant

Misty,

Sarah

sarahandkawika
                            Participant

Misty,

Sarah

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics