The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

i know this is a dumb question -location of exposure

Forums General Melanoma Community i know this is a dumb question -location of exposure

Participant
      does the melanoma take hold at the place on the epidermis exposed, or can iit show up on other parts of you skin, maybe adjacent , maybe not so adjacent?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          Either. A melanoma can regrow at the original site or grow anywhere else in body.
            tkoss
            Participant
              not regrowth.

is original site of melanoma , a mole for instance, the point at which sun damaged skin, or can it damage skin in one area but show up as a malignant mole somewhere else?

I guess another way to ask it, is a mole on my lower back from sun exposure to my lower back only, not upper back or soldiers?

Becky
              Participant
                I am not sure if I can answer your question scientifically but I do know that melanoma is not always caused by sun exposure ( for example my son had it on his tongue) …sometimes no rhyme or reason as to where is could show up
              almostalice
              Participant
                On my arm, if arms stretched out and palms facing ground my melanoma came on the underside of my lower arm, but it was the top hairy part that got sunburned. The area that got melanoma would never burn.

On my legs, I did get burns where I had my melanomas, and from everything I understand about my case the damage could have been done when I was walking away from an afternoon sun, so that it was hitting the back of my body on my right side. So the sun would have been behind me but casting a shadow on the left. Shorts and t-shirt.

If it was UV exposure that did it.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics