The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I have been offered an Anti PD 1 trial if I advance: need info

Forums General Melanoma Community I have been offered an Anti PD 1 trial if I advance: need info

Participant

My oncologist told me to "look up" anti PD 1.  I was wondering if someone could explain it to me so I could understand it.   Like to a 2 year old or something;)   I need the information to make a decision about my care.

Thanks,

Terri

Stage 4

My oncologist told me to "look up" anti PD 1.  I was wondering if someone could explain it to me so I could understand it.   Like to a 2 year old or something;)   I need the information to make a decision about my care.

Thanks,

Terri

Stage 4

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        audgator
        Participant

http://news.yahoo.com/bristol-immune-drug-shows-promise-three-cancers-040607286–finance.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This doesn't explain it too much other than saying it takes the brakes off the immune system. Cancer is applying the brakes to protect itself. I just had the last of my second series of anti-PD1 infusions and will be going on 3-month mainentance treatments. I'll have a CT & MRI next week to see if its still working for me. My onc is very optimistic.   Dan

audgator
          Participant

http://news.yahoo.com/bristol-immune-drug-shows-promise-three-cancers-040607286–finance.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This doesn't explain it too much other than saying it takes the brakes off the immune system. Cancer is applying the brakes to protect itself. I just had the last of my second series of anti-PD1 infusions and will be going on 3-month mainentance treatments. I'll have a CT & MRI next week to see if its still working for me. My onc is very optimistic.   Dan

audgator
            Participant

killmel
                Participant

Congatulations Dan,

I wish that you have clear scan next week.Please post your results. Everyone seems to do very well with PD1.

Have you had any side effects??

God Bless You,

MaryBeth

killmel
                  Participant

Congatulations Dan,

I wish that you have clear scan next week.Please post your results. Everyone seems to do very well with PD1.

God Bless You,

MaryBeth

killmel
                    Participant

Congatulations Dan,

God Bless You,

MaryBeth

audgator
                      Participant

Mary Beth, I get some very minor rashes, but that started (&was worse) when I was on ipi so I don't know if that is just a continuation or if the anti-PD1 is causing it. Anyway, it's no problem.     Dan

audgator
                        Participant

Mary Beth, I get some very minor rashes, but that started (&was worse) when I was on ipi so I don't know if that is just a continuation or if the anti-PD1 is causing it. Anyway, it's no problem.     Dan

audgator
                          Participant

Linny
                          Participant

This might be a good trial for you to consider. Hope this explanation helps:

PD-1 is a molecule found on the surface of immune cells. There's some laboratory evidence that suggests this molecule may suppress immune responses against cancer. If you can block it, it may enhance anti-tumor immunity and shrink tumors.

Do a search in the forum. There are a number of people doing really well on this trial.

Linny
                            Participant

PD-1 is a molecule found on the surface of immune cells. There's some laboratory evidence that suggests this molecule may suppress immune responses against cancer. If you can block it, it may enhance anti-tumor immunity and shrink tumors.

Do a search in the forum. There are a number of people doing really well on this trial.

Linny
                              Participant

Tim–MRF

Terri:

I will try to explain it a bit.

PD-1 stands for Programmed Death-1, and is the name of a membrane protein.  In other words, it sits on the membrane of a cell.    It is engaged or activated by its counterpart PDL-1.  PDL-1 is Programmed Death Ligand 1, and is a trans-membrane protein.  In other words, it goes through the cell membrane.

When PDL-1 engages PD-1 a lot of things happen to regulate or inactivate the immune system.  It stops the formation of T-cells, which are critical in attacking unhealthy cells like cancer.  It also stops some of the formation of IL-2.

At least four companies are working on drugs that stop this from happening.  Some block the function of PD-1, and some block the function of PDL-1.  

You may have heard of Yervoy, or ipi.  This drug was approved last March, and was the first new drug approved for melanoma in 13 years.  Yervoy blocks the function of a protein called CTLA-4.  PD-1 is in the same class or family as CTLA-4, so these anti-PD1 drugs work in a very similar fashion.  So far, only limited studies have been done with PD-1 drugs, but the early data is promising.  It appears that at least some of these drugs work better than Yervoy, and with fewer side effects.  Only time will tell if this is the case, but the melanoma doctors I know are very excited about these drugs.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Terri:

PD-1 stands for Programmed Death-1, and is the name of a membrane protein.  In other words, it sits on the membrane of a cell.    It is engaged or activated by its counterpart PDL-1.  PDL-1 is Programmed Death Ligand 1, and is a trans-membrane protein.  In other words, it goes through the cell membrane.

When PDL-1 engages PD-1 a lot of things happen to regulate or inactivate the immune system.  It stops the formation of T-cells, which are critical in attacking unhealthy cells like cancer.  It also stops some of the formation of IL-2.

At least four companies are working on drugs that stop this from happening.  Some block the function of PD-1, and some block the function of PDL-1.  

You may have heard of Yervoy, or ipi.  This drug was approved last March, and was the first new drug approved for melanoma in 13 years.  Yervoy blocks the function of a protein called CTLA-4.  PD-1 is in the same class or family as CTLA-4, so these anti-PD1 drugs work in a very similar fashion.  So far, only limited studies have been done with PD-1 drugs, but the early data is promising.  It appears that at least some of these drugs work better than Yervoy, and with fewer side effects.  Only time will tell if this is the case, but the melanoma doctors I know are very excited about these drugs.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Terri:

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Theresa123
                                      Participant

Thanks Everyone!!  this has helped alot….I have looked it up on the forum too.  It is heartening that they are doing so much research on melanoma. 

Terri

Theresa123
                                        Participant

Thanks Everyone!!  this has helped alot….I have looked it up on the forum too.  It is heartening that they are doing so much research on melanoma. 

Terri

Theresa123
                                          Participant

Terri

LynnLuc
                                            Participant

I contacted Dr Weber regarding a person in Spain looking for a Anti-PD-1 trial. He said they have slots open at Moffit in the sister trial of mine using BMS's Anti-PD-1. They are accepting people who have used Yervoy …aka Ipi and progressed..

LynnLuc
                                              Participant

I contacted Dr Weber regarding a person in Spain looking for a Anti-PD-1 trial. He said they have slots open at Moffit in the sister trial of mine using BMS's Anti-PD-1. They are accepting people who have used Yervoy …aka Ipi and progressed..

LynnLuc
                                                Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics