The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I am working on plan B and need some help

Forums General Melanoma Community I am working on plan B and need some help

Participant

Next week I get my scans after doing four treatments of Ipi.

If someone is severly allergic to leukine, who they be able to do IL-2?

Next week I get my scans after doing four treatments of Ipi.

If someone is severly allergic to leukine, who they be able to do IL-2?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

Are you allergic to leukine itself, or the adjuvant (solution) that it is made up in?

Kevin from Atlanta
            Participant

Joe,

I will look to see if Leikine and Taxol have the same avujant since I had the same reaction to Taxol. Muscles knotting up immediatly and had a very hard time breating.

Nancy,

I am not too worried about the CT scan, what are they going to tell me? I have cancer?

It is the brain MRI I am worried about. I have a nice head for being bald, I hate to get scars all over it due to surgery.

jag
              Participant

Kevin, 

I don't understand your question .  
                I hope this clears things up a bit.

Taxol is a chemotherapy, that has shown some response in melanoma patients, but as of yet, it is experimental.

Interleukin 2 (Trade name Proleukin), has been proven to show a durable respone(cure) in a small percentage of patients(8-15% depending on what you are reading).  The immune responses, side effects etc, have been extensively studied and are dealt with immediately should you choose to go for therapy.  There are certain centers approved specifically for interleukin 2 administration.  A well trained center where many treatments have been given, is your best bet. Ask questions, make an appt etc, this board is a good resource for that kind of information.  

Leukine, is a completely different immunostimulant, I don't know if it is being given in combination with Taxol, if so the side effects are much lower than interleukin 2.  

Very best to you in your treatments

God Bless

John

jag
                Participant

Kevin, 

I don't understand your question .  
                  I hope this clears things up a bit.

Taxol is a chemotherapy, that has shown some response in melanoma patients, but as of yet, it is experimental.

Interleukin 2 (Trade name Proleukin), has been proven to show a durable respone(cure) in a small percentage of patients(8-15% depending on what you are reading).  The immune responses, side effects etc, have been extensively studied and are dealt with immediately should you choose to go for therapy.  There are certain centers approved specifically for interleukin 2 administration.  A well trained center where many treatments have been given, is your best bet. Ask questions, make an appt etc, this board is a good resource for that kind of information.  

Leukine, is a completely different immunostimulant, I don't know if it is being given in combination with Taxol, if so the side effects are much lower than interleukin 2.  

Very best to you in your treatments

God Bless

John

Kevin from Atlanta
                  Participant

Joe,

I will look to see if Leikine and Taxol have the same avujant since I had the same reaction to Taxol. Muscles knotting up immediatly and had a very hard time breating.

Nancy,

I am not too worried about the CT scan, what are they going to tell me? I have cancer?

It is the brain MRI I am worried about. I have a nice head for being bald, I hate to get scars all over it due to surgery.

jag
                  Participant

Are you allergic to leukine itself, or the adjuvant (solution) that it is made up in?

TAC
                    Participant

Kevin, if you are contemplating taking IL2, I would recommend a consultation with Dr. David Lawson at Emory (Winship). He has vast experience with it plus should you decide to go ahead with it, his team is so experienced that you can remain in a regular room rather than ICU. I have several friends who have been there. All of them had a great initial response but it was not a durable one. As you may know, one of the side effects of IL2 is, in some people, a sever rash. Some interpret the rash as a sign of a response. Best of luck with uour choices.  Al Cato, Roswell

Nancy
                        Participant

Hi Kevin,  Buddy had to miss treatment #3 of IPI, as he fell, had to start steroids, and was unstable.  They will start to taper off on his steroids Tuesday so he can still get treatment #4 on Sept. 21…I don't really know if his tumors are growing or not.  Seems to me some of them are smaller, while others have remained about the same.

I tend to think his brain mets are back, since his balance was off..and he fell.  With the steroids he does much better.

Please let me know how the scans turn out – [email protected]

Thanks Kevin, hang in there – keep fighting

Nancy
                          Participant

Hi Kevin,  Buddy had to miss treatment #3 of IPI, as he fell, had to start steroids, and was unstable.  They will start to taper off on his steroids Tuesday so he can still get treatment #4 on Sept. 21…I don't really know if his tumors are growing or not.  Seems to me some of them are smaller, while others have remained about the same.

I tend to think his brain mets are back, since his balance was off..and he fell.  With the steroids he does much better.

Please let me know how the scans turn out – [email protected]

Thanks Kevin, hang in there – keep fighting

TAC
                          Participant

Kevin, if you are contemplating taking IL2, I would recommend a consultation with Dr. David Lawson at Emory (Winship). He has vast experience with it plus should you decide to go ahead with it, his team is so experienced that you can remain in a regular room rather than ICU. I have several friends who have been there. All of them had a great initial response but it was not a durable one. As you may know, one of the side effects of IL2 is, in some people, a sever rash. Some interpret the rash as a sign of a response. Best of luck with uour choices.  Al Cato, Roswell

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics