The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hypophysitis on Keytruda?

Forums General Melanoma Community Hypophysitis on Keytruda?

Participant

So I'm having a bit of weird issue with my left eye.  Over the past few days, I've had pain that seems like it is emanating from the back of the eye.  Not debilitating pain, but requires Advil.  My perception in that eye is also a bit off–particularly my peripheral vision.  Kind of like the first few second after you rub your eye and then open it in a light filled area, except that the eye doesn't get back to normal.  Not limiting, but annoying.  I've also been running a low grade fever and my white count is high (hasn't been high since I had colitis while on ipi).  I visited an eye hospital on Monday to rule out uveitis (which they did).  I'm waiting for the results of my pituitary panel to see if this is hypophysitis.  I'll let the group know.  Hypophysitis is listed as a (low probability) side effect of Keytruda.  I know that others (Brian) have experienced it on ipi, but I haven't seen anyone report it for Keytruda.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Posted by me.  Not sure why it defaulted to Anon.

Mat
          Participant

Mat
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Hey Mat,

Sorry you are dealing with that.  I never had hypophysitis though some scans I had reported enlargement of the pituitary stalk…no one ever knew what to make of that….  Anyhow, in my nivo trial two fellow ratties did develop actual hypophysitis: 

"Toxicities:  481 grade 1-5 adverse events were reported with 286 attributed to treatment.  AE distribution was similar across cohorts (#1 = 81, #2 = 104, and #3 = 101).  Most common AE's were vaccine injection site reaction (discomfort, granuloma, and/or reactive lymphadenopathy – 94% of patients), fatigue (82%), rash (55%), pruritis (42%), nausea (42%), arthralgias (42%), diarrhea (36%), headache (36%). 5 drug related grade 3-5 AE's were noted:  hypokalemia (1 in cohort 2), rash (1 in cohort 1), enteritis (1 in cohort 3), and colitis (2 in cohorts 2 and 3).  The colitis patients responded to high-dose steroids and supportive care. The patient with the grade 3 rash was re-challenged with the study drug after recovery; there was no recurrence of serious rash. Other immune-related events = grade 2 hypophysitis (2) leading to adrenal insufficiency in both patients, grade 2 thyroiditis (7) leading to primary hypothyroidism, and grade 1 pneumonitis (1) without clinical sequelae.  Adrenal insufficiency and hypothyroidism were successfully managed with hormone replacement."

Here's a link to the study report overall:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/cest-moi-results-from-33-raties-in-my.html

Don't know if this helps.  Hope everything resolves as easily as possible!!!  Hang in there.  Celeste

Brendan
                  Participant

Hey Mat,

I had hypophysitis on ipi (on nivo now) but the pain was different. It felt like both of my eyes were being pushed out (think Bugs Bunny when he sees a cutie).  Steroids took care of it. My only advice is to try to get it diagnosed quickly that whatever it is can be resolved soon.

good luck. Keep us posted. 

Brendan

Brendan
                    Participant

Hey Mat,

I had hypophysitis on ipi (on nivo now) but the pain was different. It felt like both of my eyes were being pushed out (think Bugs Bunny when he sees a cutie).  Steroids took care of it. My only advice is to try to get it diagnosed quickly that whatever it is can be resolved soon.

Brendan

Brendan
                      Participant

Hey Mat,

Brendan

Bubbles
                      Participant

Hey Mat,

Sorry you are dealing with that.  I never had hypophysitis though some scans I had reported enlargement of the pituitary stalk…no one ever knew what to make of that….  Anyhow, in my nivo trial two fellow ratties did develop actual hypophysitis: 

"Toxicities:  481 grade 1-5 adverse events were reported with 286 attributed to treatment.  AE distribution was similar across cohorts (#1 = 81, #2 = 104, and #3 = 101).  Most common AE's were vaccine injection site reaction (discomfort, granuloma, and/or reactive lymphadenopathy – 94% of patients), fatigue (82%), rash (55%), pruritis (42%), nausea (42%), arthralgias (42%), diarrhea (36%), headache (36%). 5 drug related grade 3-5 AE's were noted:  hypokalemia (1 in cohort 2), rash (1 in cohort 1), enteritis (1 in cohort 3), and colitis (2 in cohorts 2 and 3).  The colitis patients responded to high-dose steroids and supportive care. The patient with the grade 3 rash was re-challenged with the study drug after recovery; there was no recurrence of serious rash. Other immune-related events = grade 2 hypophysitis (2) leading to adrenal insufficiency in both patients, grade 2 thyroiditis (7) leading to primary hypothyroidism, and grade 1 pneumonitis (1) without clinical sequelae.  Adrenal insufficiency and hypothyroidism were successfully managed with hormone replacement."

Here's a link to the study report overall:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/cest-moi-results-from-33-raties-in-my.html

Don't know if this helps.  Hope everything resolves as easily as possible!!!  Hang in there.  Celeste

Bubbles
                        Participant

Hey Mat,

_Paul_
                          Participant

Hey Mat,

I developed hypophysitis while on ipi. The ipi was discontinued after 3 infusions because of it and that's when I started with pembro. I had other side effects too, and I think they were from the ipi, but its impossible to know because of the gradual onset of some of them.

So I ended up with adrenal insufficiency because of the hypophysitis, as well as a testosterone insufficiency. I am currently on cortisone and bi-weekly shots of testosterone.

I also went from a type 2 to type 1 diabetic; my immune system attacked my pancreas and I'm now on insulin.

I was experiencing light hypothyroidism before treatment, but during the last few months this has become acute and a test for specific antibodies has shown my immune system has also attacked my thyroid. I am taking levo-thyroxine for this.

A recent brain MRI has shown that the swelling of the pituitary is gone (my pituitary increased from 4mm to 9mm when the hypophysitis was detected). At the height of the symptoms, I had a constant headache that felt like it was just below my skull, in the center of top of my head. NSAIDs alone were not enough to relieve it and I needed those and oxycodone. I don't recall that there was any involvement with my eye. I do know that my oncologist was concerned that the headaches might have been the result of brain mets. I am very grateful that was not the case.

Hopefully they are also going to test your cortisol, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), thyroxine (T4), testosterone, glucose, and A1C.

Good luck!

_Paul_
                            Participant

Hey Mat,

I developed hypophysitis while on ipi. The ipi was discontinued after 3 infusions because of it and that's when I started with pembro. I had other side effects too, and I think they were from the ipi, but its impossible to know because of the gradual onset of some of them.

So I ended up with adrenal insufficiency because of the hypophysitis, as well as a testosterone insufficiency. I am currently on cortisone and bi-weekly shots of testosterone.

I also went from a type 2 to type 1 diabetic; my immune system attacked my pancreas and I'm now on insulin.

I was experiencing light hypothyroidism before treatment, but during the last few months this has become acute and a test for specific antibodies has shown my immune system has also attacked my thyroid. I am taking levo-thyroxine for this.

A recent brain MRI has shown that the swelling of the pituitary is gone (my pituitary increased from 4mm to 9mm when the hypophysitis was detected). At the height of the symptoms, I had a constant headache that felt like it was just below my skull, in the center of top of my head. NSAIDs alone were not enough to relieve it and I needed those and oxycodone. I don't recall that there was any involvement with my eye. I do know that my oncologist was concerned that the headaches might have been the result of brain mets. I am very grateful that was not the case.

Hopefully they are also going to test your cortisol, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), thyroxine (T4), testosterone, glucose, and A1C.

Good luck!

_Paul_
                              Participant

Hey Mat,

Good luck!

Mat
                                Participant

Thanks everyone.  So, my pituitary panel came back normal, except for low T.  (Isn't it great how being Stage IV liberates one to discuss anything in an open forum?)  The low T isn't the cause of my eye issue, but may help explain some of my fatigue.  I'd welcome input on your experience.  As for the eye, I have a routine brain MRI scheduled next week, so we'll see if anything is going on there.

Mat
                                  Participant

Thanks everyone.  So, my pituitary panel came back normal, except for low T.  (Isn't it great how being Stage IV liberates one to discuss anything in an open forum?)  The low T isn't the cause of my eye issue, but may help explain some of my fatigue.  I'd welcome input on your experience.  As for the eye, I have a routine brain MRI scheduled next week, so we'll see if anything is going on there.

Mat
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics