The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Husbands first scan today-scanxiety

Forums General Melanoma Community Husbands first scan today-scanxiety

Participant
      My husband is having his first PET scan today since starting Keytruda for stage IV melanoma in May. I’m an anxious person to begin with but it is really hitting me today. How can I be strong for him and take care of myself at the same time? We have a 1 year old daughter and he is only 33 years old. Welcoming all positive stories and encouragement. Holly
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Coragirl
        Participant
          Hi Holly, I am so sorry that you and your husband are dealing with melanoma. My husband progressed to stage 4 last May. I was a mess and the kind people on this board really helped me. I’m going to tell you the things people told me. The new treatments for melanoma are amazing and there are many on this board who have had a great response. There are stage 4 patients who have been NED for years. Sometimes it takes time for a response be patient, my husband’s first scan showed growth in his tumor but after radiation the next scans showed that it was shrinking. The last scan they couldn’t see anything.He has scans in a few weeks and I am so anxious, you just never know with melanoma. I have learned over the past few years to live life and enjoy it. Be gentle to yourself, take walks do yoga, eat well and spend time having fun with your husband and baby. You can do this, you are a mother a wife and a woman YOU ARE STRONG! I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the best.
            Hanaln
            Participant
              Hi Amie
              Thanks so much for the kind words. I teared up reading your message. We won’t get the report back until tomorrow but the Dr was 92% sure that his scan looked fine, no growth or major changes. I just can’t help but continually worry about what the future holds, what the longevity is, etc. I should be overjoyed with this report today but I’m still extremely emotional.
              Coragirl
              Participant
                I totally understand your feelings. It is so hard not to let your mind go to those scary places. The most important advice i received was to live in the now. None of us knows what tomorrow will bring. No new growth.is excellent news!
              Tsvetochka
              Participant
                His timeline and everything is so similar to mine! I was also diagnosed with Stage IV in May. I started Keytruda at the beginning of June, and had my first (post diagnosis) scan on the 26th. I got good news. I’ll be praying that yours is also confirmed as good.
                  Hanaln
                  Participant
                    I’m glad you received good news. What a relief! I just read your post and it sounds very encouraging. His report came back showing there was 1 small active lymph node near the pancreas but he has Crohn’s disease as well and the dr is assuming that the lymph node that showed up was due to the Crohns. He said it was small and will continue with the Keytruda and scan again in 3 months. The doctor didn’t seem super excited about this report but maybe I’m reading too much into it? Or maybe Doctors are just so used to giving out news that they aren’t very emotionally involved. I wish I felt more relieved but I don’t. Please keep me updated on how you are doing. It is nice to connect with others on the same journey.
                  MelanomaMike
                  Participant
                    Hi Hanaln, well, your a female so, you have that going for ya! Iv learned in my life you women can juggle all sorts of crap (situations) thrown your way, God only knows iv seen my wife Hillary in action. But, Venus or Mars aside, stress can get the best of all of us, anxiety is no joke & you need an outlet, womens meeting, yoga, a hobby, exercise, and maybe even a lil’ somethin’ somethin’ to help ya out.
                    As time moves on, your gunna get REAL good at dealing with your husbands new hobby of fighting Melanoma (thats what i call it along with my Woodworking!) Itll get easier i promise….
                    Affected
                    Participant
                      Hi Hanaln, I’m a wife of a melanoma victim as well. He is 55 years old. We received his melanoma diagnosis on 19th of June, my 54th birthday. He’s gone through tumor removal surgery in his parotid gland and CLND. We’re awaiting radiotherapy as well as immunotherapy with Nivo, but the health system where we are living is a bit clogged up and we find ourselves continually having to push to get appointments. As yourself I’m a very anxious person by nature and don’t seem to be able to hold it together most days. The only thing that has consistently helped me during these months is this forum. I am still overwhelmed by the kindness of all those who have helped me by sharing their stories, their knowledge, and surprisingly their anxieties. You are definitely not alone in feeling the way you do. Thank you for sharing. Kindest of regards, Affected.
                  Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics