The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Husband just diagnosed

Forums General Melanoma Community Husband just diagnosed

Participant

My husband Keith, 39 yrs old was just diagnosed.  No ulceration, 3.5mm thickness and we are seeing the oncologist today for the consult to do the sentinel lymph node biopsy.  Scared out of my mind.  We haven't even been married for 2 full years yet.  Any advice, help or even experience would be appreciated.  I come from a medical background so I know quite a bit already. I realize the thicker it is the more chance for metastasis. 

Any advice on what questions to ask the surgical oncologist today?

Thanks

Michelle

[email protected]

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        kpcollins31
        Participant

Best advice I can offer is do not play the "what if" game because it can make you worry about scenarios that may never manifest themselves. Take one step at a time and deal only with the facts you have at each of those steps.

Your husband got the initial diagnosis, which of course is scary. So the current step is potentially a wide local excision (WLE) (which you did not mention) and the sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB). I found the SLNB to be an easy recovery so do not worry about that part. Just get through the surgery, get the results, and then make a decision based on those results. Good luck with the surgery.

Kevin

kpcollins31
          Participant

Best advice I can offer is do not play the "what if" game because it can make you worry about scenarios that may never manifest themselves. Take one step at a time and deal only with the facts you have at each of those steps.

Your husband got the initial diagnosis, which of course is scary. So the current step is potentially a wide local excision (WLE) (which you did not mention) and the sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB). I found the SLNB to be an easy recovery so do not worry about that part. Just get through the surgery, get the results, and then make a decision based on those results. Good luck with the surgery.

Kevin

Chellmarie10
              Participant

I did forget the WLE.  They are going to do that at the same time as the SLNB.  I spent 2 days in complete panic and then we reassesed.  Making small goals.  Today is one of them as the consult with the surgeon is today at 1 and they will schedule the biopsy I'm sure.  That will  be the next goal.  Thanks!

gaby
                Participant

Hola MIchelle, I was in your same situation 2 years ago. In 2012 I was 32 years old and my husband 38. Around two years we married we had when my husband was diagnosed with melanoma.

My husband (38 years) was diagnosed with melanoma (ankle) in june 2012(Breslow 2.3 mm without ulceration, less than 1 mm2 mitosis),  unfortunately the result of the sentinel node biopsy (groin) gave positive 1/4, so he had a surgery on groin node dissection and lymph node biopsy in the stomach, all clean.

Doctor offered interferon pegylado (new treatment) or wait and watch, my husband started on 29 October with pegylated interferon treatment as adyudante.

My husband is 16 months ago with pegylated interferon treatment, with much effort.

Every 6 months my husband has a TC test, when the results of the TC are very distressing.

At first I thought my husband was going to die, surfing the internet and I read about melanoma and the prognosis was very bad. The first few months it was all doctor visits, surgeries, anxiety results pathologist, sadness and sorrow. I could not stop crying and he read on the internet about melanoma, and was still crying

Then over time melanoma and oncologist visits were part of our "normal life"

My advice is to take things day by day, you should not anticipate events, each patient is different, and the statistics internet are old.

First you need to know the stage of melanoma, as far as I get the disease. Then the oncologist will explain the options.

Good luck on this trip, you can ask me whatever you want. when I need emotional support this community helped me a lot.

affections

gaby from Argentina

gaby
                  Participant

Hola MIchelle, I was in your same situation 2 years ago. In 2012 I was 32 years old and my husband 38. Around two years we married we had when my husband was diagnosed with melanoma.

My husband (38 years) was diagnosed with melanoma (ankle) in june 2012(Breslow 2.3 mm without ulceration, less than 1 mm2 mitosis),  unfortunately the result of the sentinel node biopsy (groin) gave positive 1/4, so he had a surgery on groin node dissection and lymph node biopsy in the stomach, all clean.

Doctor offered interferon pegylado (new treatment) or wait and watch, my husband started on 29 October with pegylated interferon treatment as adyudante.

My husband is 16 months ago with pegylated interferon treatment, with much effort.

Every 6 months my husband has a TC test, when the results of the TC are very distressing.

At first I thought my husband was going to die, surfing the internet and I read about melanoma and the prognosis was very bad. The first few months it was all doctor visits, surgeries, anxiety results pathologist, sadness and sorrow. I could not stop crying and he read on the internet about melanoma, and was still crying

My advice is to take things day by day, you should not anticipate events, each patient is different, and the statistics internet are old.

First you need to know the stage of melanoma, as far as I get the disease. Then the oncologist will explain the options.

Good luck on this trip, you can ask me whatever you want. when I need emotional support this community helped me a lot.

affections

gaby from Argentina

gaby
                    Participant

affections

gaby from Argentina

Chellmarie10
                      Participant

I did forget the WLE.  They are going to do that at the same time as the SLNB.  I spent 2 days in complete panic and then we reassesed.  Making small goals.  Today is one of them as the consult with the surgeon is today at 1 and they will schedule the biopsy I'm sure.  That will  be the next goal.  Thanks!

Chellmarie10
                        Participant

kpcollins31
                        Participant

Kevin

washoegal
                          Participant

I was older when dx but very similar to you husband; 3.7mm, no ulceration.  I had 2 lymph nodes with micro matisisis.  Make sure to get copies of all your lab reports.  If they don't suggest it, request that the tumor be tested for gentitic  mutations ( most common BRAF) .  Hopefully, you won't need the information now but it's good to know and could save a lot of time in the future. 

Now the good news, I am stage 3a.  I have been healthly "no evidence of disease" for over 4 years now.  I chose to have the remaining lymph nodes removed after finding the 2 with the small amount of cancer and then just follow-up with regular scans. 

Good Luck!

Mary

washoegal
                            Participant

I was older when dx but very similar to you husband; 3.7mm, no ulceration.  I had 2 lymph nodes with micro matisisis.  Make sure to get copies of all your lab reports.  If they don't suggest it, request that the tumor be tested for gentitic  mutations ( most common BRAF) .  Hopefully, you won't need the information now but it's good to know and could save a lot of time in the future. 

Now the good news, I am stage 3a.  I have been healthly "no evidence of disease" for over 4 years now.  I chose to have the remaining lymph nodes removed after finding the 2 with the small amount of cancer and then just follow-up with regular scans. 

Good Luck!

Mary

washoegal
                              Participant

Good Luck!

Mary

Kim K
                                Participant

Sorry you had to join.  Yeah that one is on the thick end of things.

What helped for me (also in medical field) was to do what you are doing, break things down to small immediate goals.  This helped me from being overwhelmed by the fact my melanoma was now dictating my life.  I had a sense of control over what isn't controllable.

For me having a plan of attack and lining up plan B,C, D for the worst but hoping for the best helped bunches.  I researched the different scenarios so I could go in with informed specific questions to discuss with my doctors instead of the deer in the headlights thing.  I left that for the wee hours in the night with a beer and chat on this site.

Too bad chat isn't as active, I made suggestions so people can see who is chatting right off the bat and on all patient forum pages – alas not there yet.

I don't think you are being overreactive to plan for the worst, just don't get consumed by it.  After the SNB if negative then you can:  Interferon (personally not my choice – high risk stage II lesions), monitor the node basin with ultraound, enter a clnical trial.

Stage III – interferon (still not my choice), complete node removal +/- (question now being revisited as far as benefits), clinical trial.  Again depends on the extent of node involvement.  There are a few more trials for stage III but you have to hunt for them.  Most focuses on stage IV or unresectable stage / advanced stage III).

This is the best site to become armed with information.  Several here post the current treatments / trials and have experience straight from where the action / research is happening.

Remember, once you make a choice don't look back.  The what if's don't do anyone any good.  The only thing you see with hindsight is well…… your rear end!

Your husband is lucky you have the medical background to interpret how all these new treatments work and can be an educated advocate on his care.

Yes, time slows down to getting through hour by hour, then day by day.  Eventually though it really does get better and become part of your new normal life.

My initial stage 2A diagnosis took just ove a year before life was fairly normal agian.  When I became stage IV – 8 years later  it took a good 3 months before I stopped feeling numb.  As time went by and I did well, my life returned to normal and the small things began to irritate me ex. kid drawing on furniture with sharpie.  That is when I knew I was back.

Aloha,

Kim

Kim K
                                  Participant

What helped for me (also in medical field) was to do what you are doing, break things down to small immediate goals.  This helped me from being overwhelmed by the fact my melanoma was now dictating my life.  I had a sense of control over what isn't controllable.

For me having a plan of attack and lining up plan B,C, D for the worst but hoping for the best helped bunches.  I researched the different scenarios so I could go in with informed specific questions to discuss with my doctors instead of the deer in the headlights thing.  I left that for the wee hours in the night with a beer and chat on this site.

Too bad chat isn't as active, I made suggestions so people can see who is chatting right off the bat and on all patient forum pages – alas not there yet.

I don't think you are being overreactive to plan for the worst, just don't get consumed by it.  After the SNB if negative then you can:  Interferon (personally not my choice – high risk stage II lesions), monitor the node basin with ultraound, enter a clnical trial.

Stage III – interferon (still not my choice), complete node removal +/- (question now being revisited as far as benefits), clinical trial.  Again depends on the extent of node involvement.  There are a few more trials for stage III but you have to hunt for them.  Most focuses on stage IV or unresectable stage / advanced stage III).

This is the best site to become armed with information.  Several here post the current treatments / trials and have experience straight from where the action / research is happening.

Remember, once you make a choice don't look back.  The what if's don't do anyone any good.  The only thing you see with hindsight is well…… your rear end!

Your husband is lucky you have the medical background to interpret how all these new treatments work and can be an educated advocate on his care.

Yes, time slows down to getting through hour by hour, then day by day.  Eventually though it really does get better and become part of your new normal life.

My initial stage 2A diagnosis took just ove a year before life was fairly normal agian.  When I became stage IV – 8 years later  it took a good 3 months before I stopped feeling numb.  As time went by and I did well, my life returned to normal and the small things began to irritate me ex. kid drawing on furniture with sharpie.  That is when I knew I was back.

Aloha,

Kim

Kim K
                                    Participant

Aloha,

Kim

cheryl brodersen
                                      Participant

Hi Michelle,

My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV in 2009 when we had been married just two years. He had had the primary lesion 22 YEARS PRIOR. He has made many a medical journal with that gap! It was just before the advances and breakthroughs in melanoma treatment, and doctors 'gave him' six months to live. 

It is six years later, and my husband is still here. My advice is show up, don't give up. Just keep showing up. Keep researching and keep your spirits up. The doctors and nurses at our cancer treatment hospital said they always knew we were here because they could hear us laughing.

And as my grandmother used to say, "Don't borrow trouble."  Think positive thoughts. If a lot of people have survived it, your husband can too. The newest treatments are amazing.

Best of luck!

Cheryl

cheryl brodersen
                                        Participant

Hi Michelle,

My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV in 2009 when we had been married just two years. He had had the primary lesion 22 YEARS PRIOR. He has made many a medical journal with that gap! It was just before the advances and breakthroughs in melanoma treatment, and doctors 'gave him' six months to live. 

It is six years later, and my husband is still here. My advice is show up, don't give up. Just keep showing up. Keep researching and keep your spirits up. The doctors and nurses at our cancer treatment hospital said they always knew we were here because they could hear us laughing.

And as my grandmother used to say, "Don't borrow trouble."  Think positive thoughts. If a lot of people have survived it, your husband can too. The newest treatments are amazing.

Best of luck!

Cheryl

cheryl brodersen
                                          Participant

Hi Michelle,

Best of luck!

Cheryl

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics