The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How to live with the thought of having melanoma?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community How to live with the thought of having melanoma?

Participant

I am 35 years old male, who was recently diagnosed with Melanoma in Situ in February 6th 2015. 

I had my surgery done, and got my final results. All margins are clear. Even though that my doctors told me that it was just on the surface of the skin, I still have fear and questions. In 2014 I helped my mother to fight breast cancer, and year later I have been diagnosed with my Cancer. I hate that!

Thanks?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jubes
        Participant

I am so glad they got it all. So good you got it early. Keep vigilant now. As many times on this forum I have read about ppl like me who had a small melanoma removed and 10 years later it's in their lung or another organ. Just beware of any sign of a return.  Take care and use it as a reminder to enjoy every moment of your life

anne-Louise 

Jubes
          Participant

I am so glad they got it all. So good you got it early. Keep vigilant now. As many times on this forum I have read about ppl like me who had a small melanoma removed and 10 years later it's in their lung or another organ. Just beware of any sign of a return.  Take care and use it as a reminder to enjoy every moment of your life

anne-Louise 

Jubes
            Participant

anne-Louise 

_Paul_
              Participant

Even though it sucks to get melanoma, if one is going to get it, yours is the best kind to have. Check out this link from the aimatmelanoma website: https://www.aimatmelanoma.org/stages-of-melanoma/stage-0-in-situ-melanoma/stage-0-follow-up/ and you will see that "When melanoma is found and treated early, the chances for long-term, disease-free survival are excellent. With treatment, patients with melanoma in situ have a 5- and 10-year overall survival rate of 99%-100%.1".

So like Jubes said, be vigilant and make sure to be seen annually by a dermatologist.

Jubes
                  Participant

Yes and be wary of other symptoms like a persistent cough or other unusual pain

Jubes
                    Participant

Jubes
                      Participant

_Paul_
                      Participant

Even though it sucks to get melanoma, if one is going to get it, yours is the best kind to have. Check out this link from the aimatmelanoma website: https://www.aimatmelanoma.org/stages-of-melanoma/stage-0-in-situ-melanoma/stage-0-follow-up/ and you will see that "When melanoma is found and treated early, the chances for long-term, disease-free survival are excellent. With treatment, patients with melanoma in situ have a 5- and 10-year overall survival rate of 99%-100%.1".

So like Jubes said, be vigilant and make sure to be seen annually by a dermatologist.

_Paul_
                        Participant

Mat
                          Participant

I've been on this forum for about 20 months.  While you do sometimes see the (statistically unlikely) situation of Stage I melanoma progressing to a later stage, I don't ever recall anyone reporting advancing from melanoma in situ.  Congratulations on catching it early and please do your best to move on with life.

Mat
                            Participant

I've been on this forum for about 20 months.  While you do sometimes see the (statistically unlikely) situation of Stage I melanoma progressing to a later stage, I don't ever recall anyone reporting advancing from melanoma in situ.  Congratulations on catching it early and please do your best to move on with life.

Mat
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

The best advise I can give is to stay off the internet.  Anxiety will continue to rise the more you research, and not in proportion to the risk.  Most people with in situ go on to live normal lives and never post again.  The majority of new cases are in situ so you are in good company.  The Internet is not a representative sample of prognosis for you.  Live life!  Be sun smart!  Visit your derm and watch other moles for change!

Janner
                                  Participant

The best advise I can give is to stay off the internet.  Anxiety will continue to rise the more you research, and not in proportion to the risk.  Most people with in situ go on to live normal lives and never post again.  The majority of new cases are in situ so you are in good company.  The Internet is not a representative sample of prognosis for you.  Live life!  Be sun smart!  Visit your derm and watch other moles for change!

Janner
                                    Participant

kathycmc
                                      Participant

I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ in 1974 when I was 16 years old.  It was on my back and they performed a WLE and a skin graft.  I am now 57 with no recurrence and no new primary sites to date even though I have had many suspicious moles removed over the years. So I think you can be pretty confident that there will be no progression of melanoma from in situ status.  Back then I knew so little about melanoma and being a teenager I thought I was invincible so just went on with my life after the surgery.  Routinely check your skin for any changes and  spend the rest of your time enjoying your life.  It goes by way too fast.

kathycmc
                                        Participant

I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ in 1974 when I was 16 years old.  It was on my back and they performed a WLE and a skin graft.  I am now 57 with no recurrence and no new primary sites to date even though I have had many suspicious moles removed over the years. So I think you can be pretty confident that there will be no progression of melanoma from in situ status.  Back then I knew so little about melanoma and being a teenager I thought I was invincible so just went on with my life after the surgery.  Routinely check your skin for any changes and  spend the rest of your time enjoying your life.  It goes by way too fast.

JC
                                            Participant

THESE are the stories there aren't enough of – but I love to read.  The ones about being diagnosed in 1974 at age 16 and no recurrence and no new primary!  There are so many to read about with recurrence, I love to see the ones like this, thanks for posting, the more I read these, the more it helps me calm down!

JC
                                              Participant

THESE are the stories there aren't enough of – but I love to read.  The ones about being diagnosed in 1974 at age 16 and no recurrence and no new primary!  There are so many to read about with recurrence, I love to see the ones like this, thanks for posting, the more I read these, the more it helps me calm down!

_Paul_
                                                Participant

That is the thing about this board. Most of the people here are the unlucky few who's melanoma progressed. But that is not the case for the vast majority of cases, especially in situ like you. People don't tend to hang out here unless they are dealing with melanoma day to day. So the ones like yourself with in situ that find their way here don't hang out for long and just get on with their lives (which is exactly what they should do!).

The likelihood that you become one of us is super small. So go out there and have a great life, just be careful with the sun and get those annual skin checks.

_Paul_
                                                  Participant

That is the thing about this board. Most of the people here are the unlucky few who's melanoma progressed. But that is not the case for the vast majority of cases, especially in situ like you. People don't tend to hang out here unless they are dealing with melanoma day to day. So the ones like yourself with in situ that find their way here don't hang out for long and just get on with their lives (which is exactly what they should do!).

The likelihood that you become one of us is super small. So go out there and have a great life, just be careful with the sun and get those annual skin checks.

_Paul_
                                                    Participant

JC
                                                      Participant

kathycmc
                                                      Participant

bonusfries
                                                        Participant

See your derma regularly, follow safe sun practices, and the percentages are very, very tilted in your favor that this is the only time you will have to deal with this. Good luck!

bonusfries
                                                          Participant

See your derma regularly, follow safe sun practices, and the percentages are very, very tilted in your favor that this is the only time you will have to deal with this. Good luck!

bonusfries
                                                            Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics