The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How to get doc to listen

Forums General Melanoma Community How to get doc to listen

Participant
      Skin appt this week. I have had 4 in situs in past 11 years. 58 punch biopsies. Photos twice. I have three things I want biopsied, but I know it will be a hassle. Residents dont listen. i am a nurse so…………one spot is like two tiny black spots together on my thigh. I know it is new….within a year. So I want it off. I have not been for exam in two years because I know they think Insitus are just nothing. Frustrated. Had to switch docs due to my insurance. Any suggestions on how to get these stupid three spots taken off?

Skin appt this week. I have had 4 in situs in past 11 years. 58 punch biopsies. Photos twice. I have three things I want biopsied, but I know it will be a hassle. Residents dont listen. i am a nurse so…………one spot is like two tiny black spots together on my thigh. I know it is new….within a year. So I want it off. I have not been for exam in two years because I know they think Insitus are just nothing. Frustrated. Had to switch docs due to my insurance. Any suggestions on how to get these stupid three spots taken off?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Say the 3 lesions have changed.  If they don't go along, ask that they guarantee IN WRITING these are not melanoma.  That usually prods most docs along – fear of being sued is a powerful thing.  I hate that type of tactic, but they work for you not the other way around.  You could also ask your PCP.  My one PCP would tell me he would biopsy anything of concern I had whether or not my derm thought it an issue or not.  Fortunately, my derm has always listened to me, but it was nice knowing I had a backup plan.

Best wishes,
          Janner

POW
            Participant

Great idea, Janner. Tell the docs that the spot(s) has changed. Love it!

POW
              Participant

POW
                Participant

sal d
                  Participant
                    Jan can I send you a picture of the spot? Need you email. I used to be on here all the time but never could figure out this new site.
                    Thanks Sally DiGia
                    Janner
                    Participant

My email is available through this site.  Click on my name to go to my profile, then click on Contact.  You can send an email that way.  But when it comes to pictures, they don't tell me much.  You can't know just from looking if something is "bad".  I look for "ugly duckling" – different from all my other moles – and change for the worse over time.  I'll quote the derm that runs a mole mapping clinical trial at my institution.  "New and consistent with other moles is fine.  New and different from everything else is suspect".  For me, all my primaries changed for the worse over time so that is my criteria.  Single pictures probably would not have required 2/3 of my primaries be removed unless you compared them with all my other moles.  They stood out as being the ugly duckling moreso than answering the ABCDs of melanoma.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

My email is available through this site.  Click on my name to go to my profile, then click on Contact.  You can send an email that way.  But when it comes to pictures, they don't tell me much.  You can't know just from looking if something is "bad".  I look for "ugly duckling" – different from all my other moles – and change for the worse over time.  I'll quote the derm that runs a mole mapping clinical trial at my institution.  "New and consistent with other moles is fine.  New and different from everything else is suspect".  For me, all my primaries changed for the worse over time so that is my criteria.  Single pictures probably would not have required 2/3 of my primaries be removed unless you compared them with all my other moles.  They stood out as being the ugly duckling moreso than answering the ABCDs of melanoma.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

sal d
                          Participant
                            Basically begged to have two spots biopsied. My skin. My insurance. My anxiety. And yes I said it just like that.
                            sal d
                            Participant
                              Basically begged to have two spots biopsied. My skin. My insurance. My anxiety. And yes I said it just like that.
                              sal d
                              Participant
                                sal d
                                Participant
                                  Jan can I send you a picture of the spot? Need you email. I used to be on here all the time but never could figure out this new site.
                                  Thanks Sally DiGia
                                  sal d
                                  Participant
                                    Thanks Sally DiGia
                                  Janner
                                  Participant

Say the 3 lesions have changed.  If they don't go along, ask that they guarantee IN WRITING these are not melanoma.  That usually prods most docs along – fear of being sued is a powerful thing.  I hate that type of tactic, but they work for you not the other way around.  You could also ask your PCP.  My one PCP would tell me he would biopsy anything of concern I had whether or not my derm thought it an issue or not.  Fortunately, my derm has always listened to me, but it was nice knowing I had a backup plan.

Best wishes,
                                    Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Best wishes,
                                      Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics