The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How much Immunotherapy is Enough?

Forums General Melanoma Community How much Immunotherapy is Enough?

Participant

So I got some great news today!  After 3 rounds of the Ipi/Nivo combo my tumour has almost shrunk in half.  It was 5.7cm in October and is now 3.2cm.  Even though its not a complete response as I was hoping for, my oncologist assured me that this is a good response. The treatment has damaged my pituitary gland but that can be managed.

So now I have the option to continue with just Nivolumab.  I live in Canada so this is being done through a clinical trial.  Over the past few months I have read a lot about immunotherapy and there is an opinion that if I am getting a response then in theory my immune system should now be activated and will continue to fight the melanoma.

Initally I thought that I would continue on with the Nivolumab until it no longer works but now I question if this is the right decision.  If I do I run the risk of additional side effects.

For those of you out there currently on Nivolumab what convinced you to continue you on treatment for greater lengths of time?  Once you had a response, what was your oncologists opinion about proceeding.  I know some people have been on this drug for one year or even longer.

Thanks
      Mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Christine.P
        Participant

I, too, did 3 rounds of the ipi/nivo combo and have now been on nivo for over a year. I had positive initial response in which 2 tumors (melanoma) in my breast and sternum both completely disappeared. But then, a few months later, a new tumor appeared near one of my original sites. My oncologist has me on nivo until the end of this year – for a total of 2 years. She says the protocol used to be 3 years and now it is 2 years. I will continue because the fact that 2 tumors disappeared – but then a new one just popped up makes me scared it could happen again. 

newmanmark
            Participant

Thanks for responding Christine.  I really hope the treatment continues to work for you and after your next scan all tumours have either shrunk or disappeared.

jennunicorn
            Participant

Excellent news Mark! 3 infusions of Ipi/Nivo is not a lot, in the states it is approved at 4 infusions of the combo of both drugs as the main part of the treatment, then it goes to Nivo alone infusions for a while. I just had this convo with my oncologist after my good scan (did 4 combos and have done 3 Nivo alone), and she will keep me on Nivo infusions for another year, as long as I continue to do well on it of course. I definitely would start Nivo infusions if I were you, since you're not NED yet, you still want to keep the drugs going so they can keep doing their good work. Once you are NED, then you can have the conversation with your onc about how long they'd want to keep you on Nivo after no more disease is seen.

newmanmark
                Participant

Hey Jenn.  Are you NED?  If so, how long did it take to get there with immunotherapy?  Also, have you had any side effects?

My oncolgist wants me to skip the last combination of Ipi/Nivo.  She feels that the Ipi is responsible for the pituitary damage and any more of it will likely cause further damage.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

I should get my NED label at my next scan. The scan I just had last week showed the activity where there was confirmed mel was gone, so the hope is if there is still no activity in next scan then I will be NED. I started the combo end of October and had this good scan last week.. so took me a few months, but of course everyone is different. 

Ah yes, that darn Ipi, I called it "the mean one" of the combo.. after my 4th dose I had a fever for almost 3 weeks straight and was feeling miserable. Now that I am on Nivo alone I feel like my old self, glad the Ipi part is over. Only other side effects I deal regularly with are joint pain, mostly in my knees, and eczema flare ups.. both of which I dealt with prior to immunotherapy but has gotten worse with treatment. I also developed GERD (gastro esophogeal reflux disease) which I never dealt with prior to treatment, I take one pill a day for that.

newmanmark
                    Participant

Thanks Jenn.  Wishing you NED status after your next scan!

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Hopefully there will be better answers to this question at ASCO this year (early June). Trial patients here in the states have typically been kept on these drugs (Keytruda as well) for 2 to 3 years, barring any need to stop due to grade 3 or 4 adverse events. With more and more of the "general stage IV melanoma population" being treated with immunotherapy, we are seeing more of the undesireable side effects that can occur with long term use. That has prompted doctors to reevaluate just how long patients might need to be kept on the drugs… as a general rule. Everyone is different in tumor load, their immune system response, their overall physical health… etc. There is chatter floating around amongst the "big brains" that remaining a little conservative, yet attempting to avoid some of the more detrimental side effects.. perhaps a good time to discuss stopping infusions is 6 months post stability and/or NED. It's an attempt toward ensuring that any potentially active microscopic disease is wiped out, before leaving the immune system to fend for itself (in it's now trained active state). A recurrance could always prompt starting infusions again……. Although I'm not sure how that would work if you are in a trial. That door may close if you opt to go off the meds. 

I went through all four rounds of Ipi, prior to Keytruda's FDA approved availability. It killed my thyroid, but otherwise did very little in terms of side effects or stoppage of tumor spread. Keytruda worked well for me. I was on it beginning early Nov 2014 until early July 2016. We were shooting for the standard "18-24 months", as the stopping point was/is still rather randomly up in the air. I made it 20 months before the onset of inflammatory arthritis and pancreatitis pushed me to stop. 8 months off of infusions now, and things are still looking good!

5.7 cm down to 3.2 is a great response! Cheers to your little immune soldiers for kickin' a**! It takes a little time, but it sounds as if your body is on the right path toward clearing that crap out completely. 

newmanmark
                        Participant

Thanks for the reply Niki.  I'm feeling better about continuing on treatment but I think I will be more conservative and reasses at 6 months.  This makes sense to me.  Have you been able to control the arthritis and pancreatitis?  Or is this something you will deal with for the rest of your life?

Cheers

Mark

cancersnewnormal
                          Participant

The pancreas went back to normal after the Keytruda was stopped. I ended up on a minimal dose of sulfasalazine for the inflammatory arthritis. We're hoping this will be a temporary issue. The sulfasalazine took about 5 weeks to kick in, but has work wonders to get my joints back to normal size and function. I'm out on my bicycle a lot….. soooooo… I'd like to get off the meds, but I don't want to have to be off the bike again too. Right now my rheumatologist is being conservative in keeping me on it a little longer (I started in Sept. 2016), because he knows how much I'll push myself, and he'd rather avoid me doing more permanent inflammatory damage. **cheesy grin**

geriakt
                          Participant

For what it is worth, I had 50 weeks 24 rounds of high dose NIVO with minimum side effects. NED and been off since Sept 2016. Scans every 12 weeks to follow. I am happy I did it.

Tom 

newmanmark
                              Participant

Thats amazing Tom!  I love hearing stories like yours.  How long did it take for you to get a complete response?

geriakt
                                Participant

I am stage 3B full Limpth node disection NED before I started NIVO. Close to 2 years now NED. I am on a trial to prevent melanoma from returning. At stage 3B I have a 50/50 chance of return. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics