The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How many of the abcde characteristics does this mole have

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community How many of the abcde characteristics does this mole have

Participant

I’m new to this melanoma stuff and haven’t gotten an official diagnosis but this mole scares me and I can’t be seen for another month. Should I go to the ER or just wait? How many abcde would you say this has? It’s probably 4mm 1/2 colors 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

This is truly not possible to answer.  If you were to google melanoma photos, you'd see a lot more variation of color, size, etc.  I have moles that look like this on my skin that are "normal" for me.  They may have some atypical characteristics but they are not melanoma "ON ME".  See, that's the problem.  Everyone is different and what might be fine for you might not be on someone else.  I'm afraid there is absolutely NO WAY to diagnose this before you see a derm.  Having said that, if it were to be melanoma, most are very slow growing so 4-6 weeks is not concerning in the least.  I waited almost 3 months for my second melanoma primary to be removed.  I was certain it was melanoma but insurance issues at the time forced me to wait.  It was still a very early melanoma and nothing was compromised in the 3 month wait.  Please understand that there is a stage before melanoma – called an atypical or dysplastic nevus.  This is a mole that has some atypical characteristics but is not yet considered to be malignant.  It is very possible that your mole might fit in this category.  Again, no one can tell you anything with certainty here from just a photo.  You have an appointment setup, now stay off the internet and leave it alone until you can get a biopsy.  When you get the pathology report, we'd be happy to comment then.  But until then, you are just going to make yourself miserable by researching some unknown thing.  Live life!  You'll have plenty of time to fret later if there really is something to fret about.

Melissa1987
            Participant

Thank you! I do appreciate the reply! And I’m trying not to worry but it’s difficult with a new baby. I just wanna know I’ll be alright for her. I’m Happy that the time span is nothing to worry about! Thanks for that information 🙂

bjeans
            Participant

Hi Melissa – You received responses on your other threads that also might be helpful, but maybe you hadn’t seen them. (I realize it can be a little difficult at first to find previous threads – you can select your own name to find other posts your wrote, or select an earlier page number – your other threads were one page back.)

Here’s the thread with the other photo:

https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-pa…

Waiting is tough; hang in there.

(And I first posted this accidentally on one of your other threads – so I can get mixed up too!)

MelanomaMike
              Participant
                Hi Melissa1987 heres what ABCDE means to me..
                A: Any
                B: Body
                C: Can
                D: Decipher (or) Decide
                E: Evidence
                Untill you get the ol’ biopsy rolling, youll NEVER truelly know! To me it resembles a cute lil’ Birth Mark! A late blooming BirthMark..fingers crossed sister!
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics