The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How long to get pathology report??

Forums General Melanoma Community How long to get pathology report??

Participant

We are waiting for our pathology report on my wife's cheek melanoma and associated SNLB.  At the time, they told us it should take "a week."  This is now Day 12, not counting surgery day.  How long did you all have to wait to get the report?  The waiting is awful.  The hospital insists it has no significance to the ultimate diagnosis, but also offers basically just a shoulder shrug on the timing issue… 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        BillB
        Participant

Hi, waiting sucks. I go to a major cancer center, have never waited more than a couple of days for results. 

AN8
          Participant

I agree…waiting does suck.  For my biopsies at my dermatologist it takes about a week and a half but I have not had a SNLB so no help there.  My complete excission results also took about a week and a half also.  If you haven't already – call them.  Have no shame in bugging them if the report is taking longer than what they advised it would.

I am not understanding why they advise the results have no significance to the ultimate diagnosis?  Unless I am missing something, the results from the SNLB may be a step in a final stage determination and treatment avenue??  For anyone more experienced than me, please advise if I am incorrect.  So many varying opinions and new things developing each day in the melanoma world….I learn something new all the time.

Wishing you and your wife the best.

hawkdawg
              Participant

Hi there.  I meant that the hospital was telling us that the apparent delay in getting results was not related to the likelihood of SN involvement.  But SN involvement of course remains critical to next steps, staging, etc.

Anyway, we did call the hospital again yesterday afternoon.  They called back this morning, and the nurse of my wife's doctor asked what we were calling about.  We told her that we wondered when we might hear the results of the pathology examination. She told us to hold, then came back on to say it had come back just this morning—negative for melanoma in the margins, and negative for melanoma in the all nodes!!  NO further treatment recommended, but we'll be meeting iwth an oncologist anyway, for a tutorial that might help us going forward, then for scar revision surgery back with the original surgeon, then begin an accelerated program of skin inspection well into the future.

We are grateful for these results, of course, but also very grateful to those who took the time to answer our questions.  Thank you to everybody, and we hope we can somehow share our good luck with you all!!

AN8
                Participant

Oh!  Sorry for misunderstanding.  And..great news.  I am sure you both breathed a sigh of relief.  I 100% agree with meeting with an oncologist..esp if he/she specializes in melanoma.  Best wishes to you both! 

nicolec
                Participant

I've waited for 2 1/2 weeks before- almost 3. Both the times I had to wait so long were times where they got a second opinion.  Waiting is awful! 

SABKLYN
                  Participant

My initial biopsy took about 4 weeks as Emory couldn't make decide what it was.  The wound up sending that little piece of me to UCLA for another look.  My SLNB results took about 9-10 days at Emory.  Shouldn't be much longer.  I would call the surgeon's office.  Sometimes the delay involved when they can schedule you.

dbJoe
                    Participant

I guess I was (somewhat?) lucky. My surgeon ran into the pathologist in the hallway, he confirmed my diagnosis by the time Dr. Matt to glued me back together.

In all diagnostic matters, I won't leave until I've made arrangements to personally procure any images, reports, or notes. OK, sometimes my wife does, but the point is to get everything, keep your own files.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics