The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How long does it take for ipi to usually work?

Forums General Melanoma Community How long does it take for ipi to usually work?

Participant

My dad is being discharged from Vandy because they say there are no more trials for him there anymore.  Needless to say I'm pissed but he's going to try ipi at UVA, closer to where he lives.  He's getting gamma knife at Nashville for his 3 brain mets and then will return home.  He also has 2 lung mets, 2 tumors on the back of his neck (very painful) and a tumor in his pelvis.   However I guess they feel his disease is pretty aggressive, after not responding the the braf brain met trial.  I just hope ipi can start working in time.

My dad is being discharged from Vandy because they say there are no more trials for him there anymore.  Needless to say I'm pissed but he's going to try ipi at UVA, closer to where he lives.  He's getting gamma knife at Nashville for his 3 brain mets and then will return home.  He also has 2 lung mets, 2 tumors on the back of his neck (very painful) and a tumor in his pelvis.   However I guess they feel his disease is pretty aggressive, after not responding the the braf brain met trial.  I just hope ipi can start working in time.  Not sure if he has 12 weeks, according to these doctors.  Anyone had a faster response?

Adrienne

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Hi Adrienne

It's really hard to say how quickly ipilimumab can work.  My first time round in September, I had 100s of cutaneous lesions on right leg and after the very first treatment I could see change…they stopped increasing (thank goodness) plus some started drying up immediately.  Unfortunately, I had recurrence with several sub-qs on right leg  and a renegade lymph node in my left groin (size of golf ball right now).  I have had my second treatment since March and I see no change whatsoever so worry time.  

People do react differently to ipilimumab (keeping in mind if they respond)…some almost immediately, some a few treatments in.  I pray your father responds as quickly as possible.  I'm sure others will respond with their thoughts or look at the 'rollcall on ipi' by Douglas (killmel) not too far down on the page.

Val

ValinMtl
          Participant

Hi Adrienne

It's really hard to say how quickly ipilimumab can work.  My first time round in September, I had 100s of cutaneous lesions on right leg and after the very first treatment I could see change…they stopped increasing (thank goodness) plus some started drying up immediately.  Unfortunately, I had recurrence with several sub-qs on right leg  and a renegade lymph node in my left groin (size of golf ball right now).  I have had my second treatment since March and I see no change whatsoever so worry time.  

People do react differently to ipilimumab (keeping in mind if they respond)…some almost immediately, some a few treatments in.  I pray your father responds as quickly as possible.  I'm sure others will respond with their thoughts or look at the 'rollcall on ipi' by Douglas (killmel) not too far down on the page.

Val

Gene_S
            Participant

Hello Adrienne,

Keep in mind that ippi works only in 1 of 6 patients accordingly to my oncologist.

My SUGGESTION would be to do some homework on the experimental drug PLX4032.

It could possibly buy your dad some time to find another type of treatment ?

see:  http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/25/cancer-melanoma-roche-idUSN2515101020100825

If he does start ippi, and has bad reactions, stop the treatment asap as ippi does have very severe side effects depending on the person receiving the treatment.

Best wishes,

Gene

adgesoph
                Participant

Thank you for your responses.  My dad has failed the braf brain met trial at Vanderbilt so I don't think PLX would work for him.  He's got to get the brain mets resolved to get into another trial any way and we don't think there is a lot of time.  He may still not meet the parameters of the trials with his declining health.  Ipi is really the only thing we can start taking quickly but I know it may not even work and if it does it may be too late.  But we have to try. Where would he get ipi or yervoy from.  Just an oncologist?

amberhulin
                  Participant

Adrienne,

My father was in a similar situation with exception of brain mets. After one treatment of ipi his tumors got hard and some began to get smaller. His body was so weak he was unable to complete the clinical trial, still we all felt the ipi was working. He previously failed IL-2 as well. We got into the clinical trail through a referral from our oncologist so you can always start there.

Good luck,

Amber

amberhulin
                    Participant

Adrienne,

My father was in a similar situation with exception of brain mets. After one treatment of ipi his tumors got hard and some began to get smaller. His body was so weak he was unable to complete the clinical trial, still we all felt the ipi was working. He previously failed IL-2 as well. We got into the clinical trail through a referral from our oncologist so you can always start there.

Good luck,

Amber

Gene_S
                      Participant

Here is a website that may help you.

see: http://www.collabrx.com/

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                        Participant

Here is a website that may help you.

see: http://www.collabrx.com/

Best wishes,

Gene

adgesoph
                          Participant

Thank you for your responses.  My dad has failed the braf brain met trial at Vanderbilt so I don't think PLX would work for him.  He's got to get the brain mets resolved to get into another trial any way and we don't think there is a lot of time.  He may still not meet the parameters of the trials with his declining health.  Ipi is really the only thing we can start taking quickly but I know it may not even work and if it does it may be too late.  But we have to try. Where would he get ipi or yervoy from.  Just an oncologist?

Gene_S
                          Participant

Hello Adrienne,

Keep in mind that ippi works only in 1 of 6 patients accordingly to my oncologist.

My SUGGESTION would be to do some homework on the experimental drug PLX4032.

It could possibly buy your dad some time to find another type of treatment ?

see:  http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/25/cancer-melanoma-roche-idUSN2515101020100825

If he does start ippi, and has bad reactions, stop the treatment asap as ippi does have very severe side effects depending on the person receiving the treatment.

Best wishes,

Gene

James from Sydney
                            Participant

Ask about the new drug E7080 see the post below from "vickrs" it appears that it can give a quick response.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                              Participant

Ask about the new drug E7080 see the post below from "vickrs" it appears that it can give a quick response.

best wishes

James

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics