The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How likely is a new, irregular mole to be benign?

Forums General Melanoma Community How likely is a new, irregular mole to be benign?

Participant
      Hello! I’m a 30 year old female (also 15 weeks pregnant if that matters). I’ve had a history of moles changing slightly, getting removed, and coming back with displastic changes. Nothing too worrisome. But the other night I noticed a new mole on the back of my shoulder, and I’ve never had a new mole before. I don’t know when it appeared, but according to photographic evidence it was within the past 3.5 years. It’s irregular, light brown/tan, 6.5 mm long x 5 mm wide. I called my dermatologist office right away and they can’t see me sooner than 4 weeks. I’m obsessing over this mole and worried sick. How common is it for a new, large mole to turn out to be nothing? I can’t really find data on it. How likely is it that this is melanoma?

Here’s a picture: https://imgur.com/a/TLsRcJd

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Good morning;

I have had many moles removed (and a few looked like yours) and none have ever tested positive for Mel. It is good to get checked, but don’t worry too much, as worry only makes things worse. I never found my primary, don’t even know where it came from! So, enjoy the holiday and get into the derm when you can.

Hope you can find some peace,

Ted

Ella
            Participant
              Thank you! Were those new moles that were benign?
              tedtell1
              Participant
                Yes,  I have had 12 removed that were “slightly” suspicious and while some of them were “atypical”, none were positive for Mel! You can hear from many, many people here who have skin checks and moles removed alot and have those moles turn up negative for mel. Happy new year, and try not to worry until you are presented with an issue to worry about. And take care of that precious bundle!

Ted

Danielle T
              Participant
                I had a new mole grow in my 40s and it was benign. I know we always hear change is bad, but it’s not always. I would ask your dermatologist to see you sooner only so you don’t have to wait and worry.
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics