The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How fast can liver enzymes come down with steroids? Your experience.

Forums General Melanoma Community How fast can liver enzymes come down with steroids? Your experience.

Participant
      Hello everyone,
      I feel very frustrated. I am receiving treatment in Japan for lung and liver mets. All was going well with shrinkage until the third cobo of nivi/ipi until liver enzymes spiked. Then after entering hospital they dropped by themselves without steroids as below:
      Date AST ALT
      4/16 242 557
      4/17 174 450

I have been on 35mg of prednisone for three days since 4/17 from midday. Next blood test is tomorrow. Do you think it is possible they will continue to move slowly or might they suddenly drop quickly? The liver doctor here said I cannot leave hospital until they fall below 100. Isn’t it a bit over the top making me stay in hospital for 35mg of prednisone?

Regards,
      Adam

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Beany
        Participant
          Hello,
          Here is an update
          Date AST ALT
          4/16 242 557
          4/17 174 450
          4/20 128 390
          4/22 105 334

I feel they are dropping slowly. Is this a good thing?
          I just hope the combo is still working even though I am on prednisone. The doctor has indicated skipping the fourth combo and going onto opdivo only once the numbers stabilize. Soldier on!
          Regards,
          Adam

Mismich76
          Participant
            Wish I would have seen your posts months back. I was hospitalized last January due to the same thing. Elevated ast/alt mine were 1600/2800 at worst. I had to end up taking. 140mg steroids I’m the hospital after being on 40mg any 100mg for a month before. I was on steroids for about 4 months total. I also had to take Cellcept which is a med they give to people who have a transplant so they don’t reject it. I finally tapered off both and enzymes went down but it was a long hard process. I have not been back on Yervoy nor Opdivo since.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics