The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How does this site seem to the newcomers?

Forums General Melanoma Community How does this site seem to the newcomers?

Participant

Many of us have been here a long time, and can't help but compare how things are now with how they used to be. Like most websites, this one was freer, easier, and funner years ago before a lot of controls and limitations set in. You have all described many of these, so I won't repeat. I will only add that most newer websites that I have seen are less fun and less user-friendly than those that emerged early in the babyhood of the internet. It seems to be the nature of the Web.

Many of us have been here a long time, and can't help but compare how things are now with how they used to be. Like most websites, this one was freer, easier, and funner years ago before a lot of controls and limitations set in. You have all described many of these, so I won't repeat. I will only add that most newer websites that I have seen are less fun and less user-friendly than those that emerged early in the babyhood of the internet. It seems to be the nature of the Web.

But what I am wondering, is how do the newer participants or viewers, who were not nurtured for years on the earlier version of this site, find it? I notice many newer posters on the main board expressing the same kind of joy and gratitude about this board, that most of us did for years before things changed. Since we clearly want more and more patients to benefit by this site, I would like to hear how the newer ones react to it. It drives to the heart of the purpose we are trying to serve.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Apparently, newcomers are not reading the off topic board 🙂 or at least not responding.

but here's a message for the 'oldtimers'

there is NO BRINGING BACK the old board!

lordy..move past it.

make it work

Jocelyn
            Participant

yes, I thought of that, that the newcomers were probably not here. But I didn't think this was an appropriate post for the main board, so tried it here anyway. Agree with your idea about getting past it. And would add that one element in getting past the old, is remembering that there are many new people here to whom these criticisms mean nothing. They will have a different perspective on it.

dian in spokane
              Participant

it took me several months after my arrival at the MPIP to even look at the off topic board.

I do hope that a couple of them are following the ongoing discussions here about the format, and might chime in to answer your question.

dian in spokane
                Participant

it took me several months after my arrival at the MPIP to even look at the off topic board.

I do hope that a couple of them are following the ongoing discussions here about the format, and might chime in to answer your question.

Jocelyn
                  Participant

yes, I thought of that, that the newcomers were probably not here. But I didn't think this was an appropriate post for the main board, so tried it here anyway. Agree with your idea about getting past it. And would add that one element in getting past the old, is remembering that there are many new people here to whom these criticisms mean nothing. They will have a different perspective on it.

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Apparently, newcomers are not reading the off topic board 🙂 or at least not responding.

but here's a message for the 'oldtimers'

there is NO BRINGING BACK the old board!

lordy..move past it.

make it work

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics