The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How bad is this diagnosis? Spitzoid Melanoma Questions

Forums General Melanoma Community How bad is this diagnosis? Spitzoid Melanoma Questions

Participant
      I’m here because my best friend was very recently diagnosed–she hasn’t even had her first Oncologist appointment yet. However, she sent me her pathology report, and I’ve been trying to understand what all of this means.

She’s 39 years old and has two young girls. The diagnosis is “Spitzoid Nodular Malignant Melanoma.” Clark IV, Breslow 5.5 mm. Non-brisk, not ulcerated. Mitotic rate of one. The tumor extended into the reticular dermis. She’s T4a, but lymph nodes or metastasis are not yet known (T4a Nx Mx).

I’ve read about how difficult these can be to diagnose, and I’m still holding on to hope that perhaps this was a “gray area” diagnosis–and that all that will follow is merely a precaution. I don’t know how to support my friend properly; I am having difficulty processing the news. Hence, the intellectualization. I’ve read more articles in medical journals in these last few days than I have in my entire life.

Tell me, friends. Does it sound “bad”? What do you need from your friends as you navigate this? Has anyone else out there been diagnosed with a Spitzoid Melanoma? How does it differ from other melanoma diagnosis?

I really don’t know why I am here. It’s just…hard. Anything you have to offer would mean the world.

Hattie

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Hi Hattie, way back at the beginning of my melanoma journey in 2011 some of my closest friends did the “freak out” which is pretty normal when dealing with cancer in general.  I think that their reaction was because they felt helpless and wanted to fix my problem. Your friend will need a look at her closest lymph node to check if melanoma has spread. Wait for the information to be gathered and don’t jump to any conclusions, other than that let the experts guide her with the advice part. Keep us posted as to what they find and we can give you up to date information if you want to continue to help. If you want to read up on things at this point, anything from Onclive, aim at melanoma, this site MRD and ASCO published information is good. If lymph nodes are positive you would be looking at stage 3 and  adjuvant treatments, they send the mole out to pathology to check for BRAF status ( which allows for targeted therapy treatment) if not BRAF positive then adjuvant immunotherapy, Nivo (opdivo) or pembro( Keytruda) could be offered as treatment, it would depend on oncologist and if it is 3A or B,C or D. If nodes are clear then watch and scan ( follow up with either dermatologist or oncologist) would be normal coarse of action. Best Wishes!!! Ed
            Hattie
            Participant
              Ed,

Thank you so much for your reply. And you’re right—I do feel helpless. Her first appointment is today, and your kind words are a welcome reminder to let the experts guide her. It’s just hard to trust, I guess.

I really appreciate the resources you provided and there’s no doubt I will be looking at those in the near future (read: as soon as I’m finished typing this response :))

I hope she’ll have more information after today’s appointment, and hope the additional tests you mentioned will be able to be administered quickly. All of this uncertainty is too much.

Thank you again for your reply. It takes a special kind of person to respond to a post like mine.  I will most definitely return with an update.

Best,

Hattie

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics