The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Home resting

Forums General Melanoma Community Home resting

Participant

home resting after my WLE and SLN surgery…    They only remove one sentinel lymph node…  So is that a good sign? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Never Gonna Stop
        Participant

Hi Melissa,

I would say it just kind of is what it is. Each institution has their definition of what they consider a sentinel node. I had two nodes light up on my study, but they only removed one. The second node was a deeper pelvic node, and, at least at my institution, they don't consider a node in second, deeper basin a sentinel node.

If I recall correctly, other times they define secondary nodes as sentinel nodes if they have at least 10% of the tracer signal intensity that the primary sentinel node does. Were you able to see the results of your lymph node study?

I hope you rest well and get great results!

Millykamp
            Participant

All I know is my mom seen 2 dots on the screen and some white cloudy looks from where they injected the radioactive dye,   They didn't tell me much other then to wait on the phone call.. The SLN spot they remove was near my armpit  and my WLE is on my left back near my side ribs 

Millykamp
              Participant

All I know is my mom seen 2 dots on the screen and some white cloudy looks from where they injected the radioactive dye,   They didn't tell me much other then to wait on the phone call.. The SLN spot they remove was near my armpit  and my WLE is on my left back near my side ribs 

Millykamp
                Participant

Never Gonna Stop
                Participant

Hi Melissa,

I would say it just kind of is what it is. Each institution has their definition of what they consider a sentinel node. I had two nodes light up on my study, but they only removed one. The second node was a deeper pelvic node, and, at least at my institution, they don't consider a node in second, deeper basin a sentinel node.

If I recall correctly, other times they define secondary nodes as sentinel nodes if they have at least 10% of the tracer signal intensity that the primary sentinel node does. Were you able to see the results of your lymph node study?

Never Gonna Stop
                  Participant

Hi Melissa,

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hey Melissa, 

Sounds like your lesion and my first one were in similar places. When the "dye" is injected the radiologist is looking for the direction of lymph flow from the site and then which node has 'uptake'. Sometimes only one node takes up the dye, sometimes more than one. And yes….it looks pretty funky on the screen with sparkles all around! When you have a lesion on your back as you and I did it is possible for lymph flow to be toward the groin or the armpit.  So…I don't know of any statistical difference made in the end…no matter if only one node lights up or if there are multiple. Common sense could reason that only one is better…less spread….and for certain means less digging around for additional nodes during the surgery. Rest up. Hang in there. I wish you well. Celeste

Millykamp
                        Participant

Is it commons to feel your arm very warm and swollen?  It's on the same side where my surgery was.   Pretty puffy from my shoulder down to my elbow.. And my tummy is still flip flopping. 

i know its been 24 hours since rhe surgery. 

Bubbles
                          Participant

Yes, your arm, its nerves, its lymph system, have been through a lot. It will get better. Promise. C

Bubbles
                            Participant

Yes, your arm, its nerves, its lymph system, have been through a lot. It will get better. Promise. C

Bubbles
                              Participant

Millykamp
                                Participant

Is it commons to feel your arm very warm and swollen?  It's on the same side where my surgery was.   Pretty puffy from my shoulder down to my elbow.. And my tummy is still flip flopping. 

Millykamp
                                  Participant

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hey Melissa, 

Sounds like your lesion and my first one were in similar places. When the "dye" is injected the radiologist is looking for the direction of lymph flow from the site and then which node has 'uptake'. Sometimes only one node takes up the dye, sometimes more than one. And yes….it looks pretty funky on the screen with sparkles all around! When you have a lesion on your back as you and I did it is possible for lymph flow to be toward the groin or the armpit.  So…I don't know of any statistical difference made in the end…no matter if only one node lights up or if there are multiple. Common sense could reason that only one is better…less spread….and for certain means less digging around for additional nodes during the surgery. Rest up. Hang in there. I wish you well. Celeste

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Hey Melissa, 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics