The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Home and doing well

Forums General Melanoma Community Home and doing well

Participant
      Hi everyone,
      I had my surgery on Thurs afternoon — mastectomy and excision of 8 tumours from my leg. All went well, and Dr Pace was very pleased. He left only one tumour on my leg because it was so close to another excision, he wouldn't have had enough skin to stitch it up without pulling on the stitches of the other one. It's only a small one, so we'll get that and the one on my back another time. I was put in ICU only because there were no beds available on the surgical floor.

Hi everyone,
      I had my surgery on Thurs afternoon — mastectomy and excision of 8 tumours from my leg. All went well, and Dr Pace was very pleased. He left only one tumour on my leg because it was so close to another excision, he wouldn't have had enough skin to stitch it up without pulling on the stitches of the other one. It's only a small one, so we'll get that and the one on my back another time. I was put in ICU only because there were no beds available on the surgical floor. There were a lot of machines running, whirring, beeping all night long, so sleeping soundly was near impossible. But Jim went out and bought me some earplugs, and that helped block the noise quite a bit.

I came home from hospital on Fri, and I've been pretty much out of it ever since, thanks to the Demerol every 4 hrs. I'm not in any pain, and I feel pretty good emotionally. It's amazing how much pain you learn to endure. I didn't realize how painful my breast was, but now that it's gone, this pain-free feeling is unbelievable! So although I miss Betty Boob, I like the painlessness even more.

The home care nurse comes by for daily dressing changes, but she said today that everything looks so good and clean, she'll only come every 2 days. I have 30+ staples from the mastectomy,  plus a load of stitches in my leg. All that gets removed 10 days post-op. I also still have a drain, but I have to wait until the drainage is less than 30ml/24hrs before it can be removed, which should be in a few days.
      The day before I went in hospital, I got a call from Montreal to say the ipilimumab trial was now open. I explained what was going on with me, and she said that was fine. I just have to wait until I'm 28 days post-op, and I can start. So we're looking at around mid-Sept for Montreal.
      Thank-you for all those prayers, well wishes and positive vibes.  Keep up all that positive energy. It's what keeps me going.

Hugs
      Sharyn
      Stage IV

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        JenM
        Participant
          Sharyn,
          So glad that u r home. You r such a trooper. I admire your strength and great attitude. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
          JenM
          Participant
            Sharyn,
            So glad that u r home. You r such a trooper. I admire your strength and great attitude. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
            Lori C
            Participant

Very glad you are home and all is going well!  I hope the upcoming treatment is a complete success.

Lori C
              Participant

Very glad you are home and all is going well!  I hope the upcoming treatment is a complete success.

Fen
                Participant

Whew! Hats of to you, Sharyn.  Betty Boob? too funny.   Prayers, good thoughts, everything coming your way.

Fen
                  Participant

Whew! Hats of to you, Sharyn.  Betty Boob? too funny.   Prayers, good thoughts, everything coming your way.

James from Sydney
                    Participant

Hi Sharyn

good to hear your feeling better, now get your strength back it will soon be time to give Mel. that final blow it deserves!

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                      Participant

Hi Sharyn

good to hear your feeling better, now get your strength back it will soon be time to give Mel. that final blow it deserves!

best wishes

James

King
                        Participant

Sharyn,

You, too, continue to amaze me with your strength and courage.  Wishing you a speedy recovery and that is wonderful news to know that the Ipi is waiting for you!!!!

Stay Strong
                          King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                          Participant

Sharyn,

You, too, continue to amaze me with your strength and courage.  Wishing you a speedy recovery and that is wonderful news to know that the Ipi is waiting for you!!!!

Stay Strong
                            King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

ValinMtl
                            Participant

Dear Sharyn,

So glad it's over and that you are feeling not too bad, you are simply put "AMAZING". I'm just back from the cottage and going in to sign up tomorrow for the trial.  We'll keep in touch for sure and get together when you are in town. After many many hiccups, everything appears to be on track, and let's pray that this is exactly what is needed.  Big big hugs, Val xx

ValinMtl
                              Participant

Dear Sharyn,

So glad it's over and that you are feeling not too bad, you are simply put "AMAZING". I'm just back from the cottage and going in to sign up tomorrow for the trial.  We'll keep in touch for sure and get together when you are in town. After many many hiccups, everything appears to be on track, and let's pray that this is exactly what is needed.  Big big hugs, Val xx

lhaley
                                Participant

Sounds like your timing is pretty good! You will be well on your way to recovery when ippi is available to you!  It does sound like you are feeling better than pre-surgery, soon your body will begin to heal and you will feel even better.

Hugs being sent,

Linda

lhaley
                                  Participant

Sounds like your timing is pretty good! You will be well on your way to recovery when ippi is available to you!  It does sound like you are feeling better than pre-surgery, soon your body will begin to heal and you will feel even better.

Hugs being sent,

Linda

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics