The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hmmmm….. The NEW and IMPROVED MPIP!

Forums General Melanoma Community Hmmmm….. The NEW and IMPROVED MPIP!

Participant
      Well!!!  I seem to remember some ancient Popeye cartoon – in which Olive Oyl – when asked what she thought about Popeye replied, “Uhmmmm.  He’s LARGE!?”  Guess that’s where I am with THE NEW AND IMPROVED FORUM at the moment.

My thoughts and questions:

I have asked the powers that be if our profiles and pics will be returning.  They are checking.  Clearly, some of us have very long histories and it is more than a little work to replace them.

Badges.  I know some MPIP peeps were fans of these.  But, “remission”??????  Unfortunately, that’s not a term applied to melanoma.  The “powers” will be changing the “remission” badge to “NED”.  So that’s good.  As for me, I’m waiting for the day we can click on a “CURED” badge!!!  Right?

The return of the ‘word’ style typing tools will be nice.  We had them for many years – then a couple years ago they disappeared with no warning – never to return – until today.

Busy. Twitter/FaceBook lite – is it???????  Or in the words of our wise mouse – New Coke?  Coke Zero?  BAHAHA!  Whatever it is.  C’est la vie.  We will get used to it.  Small bit of irony for this roll out….  It seems that the last two days that this current iteration of MPIP posts reaches back to, was the time of a website update as well.  Check out these posts by some of my gang back in the good old days/albeit dark ages of melanoma – Jag, Charlie S, Yawn – https://forum.melanoma.org/recent-topics/page/1186/

Pages for different categories of posts may help some find what they seek.  Though most of us learn from the whole.  The search button seems to work better than before, so that is nice.

What do you melanoma peeps think of it????????????????

What ev.  We will adapt.  That is something all melanoma peeps and their loved ones are good at.  No matter the “format”, this forum is filled with smart, caring, melanoma wise peeps.  We are individuals, gathered here as a team, with a common cause and determination.  No web design boxed us in before and it won’t now!!!  Love and hugs to all of you.  les

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bobman
        Participant
          Not liking the new format at all. Was an exercise in frustration to even reply to you Celeste! As with every other format change over the years, I am concerned other long termers will just go away. Yes, I will adapt,  and while fuming trying to teach this old dog more new tricks, raising my blood pressure just to say “hey I’m still alive” I’ll claw my way in here again! I’m still pissed they took out the live chat…and that’s been years! Anyway,  I hope others will fight through it, and stay in here as well,  but some will undoubtedly go away,  as in every other “upgrade?!?”.

Aloha to all, hope to see everyone again…

Bob

Bubbles
            Participant
              Hey Bob,

Took me a minute to figure out how to reply to YOU!!!  HA!  Crazy every time, isn’t it?  GUUURRRRL!  That chat room was a CRAAAAZY place!  I’m not sure I was ever brave enough to comment in it back then, but I sure laughed a lot.  Glad you are hanging in here with me.  Some days I’m not sure I should…..but so far, I am!  Wishing happy holidays to you and yours!!  love, c

Bobman
              Participant
                Yeah Celeste, I  still read everything here everyday.  I still learn more from you than anyone else ever. The time , energy,  compassion,  research,  and devotion to others you always make time for is beyond amazing. Been a little slow in here this year, but it’s been a weird year for everyone. I still get biopsies regularly,  but still holding at 14 primaries.  Covid struck some family members on the mainland in past couple of months,  but so far they’re holding strong…so there’s that that everyone is dealing with too. Ready for 2021 already so I can just get on with the routine cutting without freaking out about being in a dr.s office!

Selfishly hoping you never stray too far away from us.

Mahalo gal!

casagrayson
              Participant
                I always have to wonder why things need to be “improved” when they were working pretty well…

Adapt and adjust.  Something we all have a lot of experience with this year.

tedtell1
                Participant
                  Wow, this is the new improved version? Interesting….I guess it will take some time getting used to. Was wondering since so many are viewing this thread, does anyone have contact with Mike’s family if he is having a hard time posting. I seem to remember that someone was in contact with his wife at one point. Love to know how he is doing as would many many here. Mike, if you are reading this, we love man!!!

Ted

ed williams
                  Participant
                    So if you click on love or clap button, does it show up somewhere??? If it does can you tell who clapped or loved a comment??? I love change!!!! I love being lost with no map of how to find out where I am going!!!! :wacko:
                    Bubbles
                    Participant
                      I hear you Bob!!  I echo what you said Ted.  And to casagrayson – we be mov’n on up!!!!  Edster – for what it’s worth (as a test and for real) I gave you a clap and a heart!!!  les
                        ed williams
                        Participant
                          It gives a number on the clap :wacko: :wacko: sign but you can’t tell who selected it????
                        Bubbles
                        Participant
                          Maybe there is a little “1” embedded in the hands and heart now???  But, I don’t know it you can tell it’s from me?  c
                          tedtell1
                          Participant
                            :yahoo:

AnxiousDad
                            Participant
                              I hate to be a grump or fuddy duddy but I don’t like the new look. feels too gaudy.

II do, however love all of you guys and admire all of the warriors out there.

merry Christmas,

grumpydad

SOLE
                              Participant
                                Well, I’m lost with this format but it’s to be expected at first. It seems less intuitive. Wishing MRF folks to improve the experience in 2021.

Happy to read Bobman again. Acral melanoma is still very obscure.

Be safe all

Rocco
                                Participant
                                  Here’s hoping the histories come back – no way to recreate all the details since Aug 2005

Rocco

almostalice
                                  Participant
                                    Thankful to have one of the best patient forums going strong after all these years.
                                Viewing 10 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics