The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hey I’m new!

Forums General Melanoma Community Hey I’m new!

Participant
      So I’ve had MM for about 3 months now, I was diagnosed September 12th and I have stage 3. While my family and friends have been great, none of them can really understand how I feel. Praise God this site exists! I’m 25, the youngest of 3 and I’m about to start a year of Interferon in January since I already had my surgery on my arm and 2 lymph nodes out. I’m finally over the feeling of putting my life on hold and I now know it’s just taking the scenic route. I believe in Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior, and I know He will bring me through this!

So I’ve had MM for about 3 months now, I was diagnosed September 12th and I have stage 3. While my family and friends have been great, none of them can really understand how I feel. Praise God this site exists! I’m 25, the youngest of 3 and I’m about to start a year of Interferon in January since I already had my surgery on my arm and 2 lymph nodes out. I’m finally over the feeling of putting my life on hold and I now know it’s just taking the scenic route. I believe in Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior, and I know He will bring me through this! If you believe in Jesus as your Savior then you know how important knowing God is! If you would like to know Him then hit me up! We’re all in this together!1

God bless,
      Jaimy

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Jaimy, welcome to our forum. Thanks for filling in the details on your profile page. This will help us to help you better.

There a number of people here who have tried interferon. Hopefully, they will give you some feedback about it.

You are in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Jaimy, welcome to our forum. Thanks for filling in the details on your profile page. This will help us to help you better.

There a number of people here who have tried interferon. Hopefully, they will give you some feedback about it.

You are in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

You are in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

panda
                Participant

hi Frank from Aust i am also from aus. well i have stage two and its been cut out and it was in safe stage it was found apparently less than millimetre one eighteenth or something? so what check ups do i need from now on? can someone tell me, as i dont know? blood test, lymph node tests? how do i know if its not coming back inside me? thankyou all who can tell me something i do now pls

Lilylove414
                  Participant
                    Well normally your doctors will probably want to at least keep an eye on you and do some blood tests just to make sure you’re alright. But really your oncologist will make the call. As for it coming back, that can only be determined with testing. You can always get someone to pray with you using Matthew 18:19-20 which basically says,” When two or more gather in my name, it will be done by my Father in Heaven.” That’s how I am so certain that this will be my only battle with cancer! Just keep praying and talking with your doctors, ok? Your in my prayers!

God bless,
                    Jaimy

Lilylove414
                    Participant
                      Well normally your doctors will probably want to at least keep an eye on you and do some blood tests just to make sure you’re alright. But really your oncologist will make the call. As for it coming back, that can only be determined with testing. You can always get someone to pray with you using Matthew 18:19-20 which basically says,” When two or more gather in my name, it will be done by my Father in Heaven.” That’s how I am so certain that this will be my only battle with cancer! Just keep praying and talking with your doctors, ok? Your in my prayers!

God bless,
                      Jaimy

Lilylove414
                      Participant

God bless,
                        Jaimy

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

Welcome to our forum. I see that you have had some opinions and info from a few other people here. A lot depends on what your doctor says. If you could post the details of your pathology report, that would help us to help you better.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Welcome to our forum. I see that you have had some opinions and info from a few other people here. A lot depends on what your doctor says. If you could post the details of your pathology report, that would help us to help you better.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                            Participant

Frank from Australia

panda
                              Participant

hi Frank from Aust i am also from aus. well i have stage two and its been cut out and it was in safe stage it was found apparently less than millimetre one eighteenth or something? so what check ups do i need from now on? can someone tell me, as i dont know? blood test, lymph node tests? how do i know if its not coming back inside me? thankyou all who can tell me something i do now pls

panda
                                Participant

Lilylove414
                                Participant
                                  So I have a small update. I had a mole on my back removed last week, and today I found out that its melanoma in situ. So my initial reaction was “Oh, ****!” But getting it removed tomorrow, and still starting treatment in January for my stage 3. God is definitely good y’all!
                                  Lilylove414
                                  Participant
                                    So I have a small update. I had a mole on my back removed last week, and today I found out that its melanoma in situ. So my initial reaction was “Oh, ****!” But getting it removed tomorrow, and still starting treatment in January for my stage 3. God is definitely good y’all!
                                    Lilylove414
                                    Participant
                                      Tim–MRF

Jaimy:

I am sorry that you are now part of the melanoma community, but am pleased you found this site.  You will discover that this is a great source of information and support.  The MPIP community is an amazing group of people.

I want to address one issue of protocol.  We have a lot of people who engage in this site, with a lot of different religious views.  In the past we have had some struggles with how personal beliefs should be expressed on the board.  My feeling is that we should allow a fair amount of latitude, but also be respectful of the various beliefs and feelings people hold.  For this reason, the Off Topic forum is a free-for-all in which anything and everything is discussed, but the Main Board should focus on medical and psycho-social issues.

While we have no strict guidelines, here are some general thoughts.  People often will include a statement such as "pray for me" in their posts.  I don't think anyone objects to this.  Some will immediately start praying for that person following the tradition and practice of their particular religion.  Others will think that prayer is a waste of time but will gladly keep that person in their thoughts, with hopes for positive outcomes.

Sometimes people will say something like, "My family and my faith in God have helped me through this."  Again, I don't think anyone objects to this.  Many, many people on this board have felt that their faith was an important part of their fight against melanoma.

Having said that, I believe your invitation for others to contact you so you can tell them about knowing God is better reserved for the Off-Topic forum.  It reads as though you are trying to proselytize, and that is not the purpose of this board.  Nor do people come to this board looking for information on how to embrace religion.

This is not a critique, but rather a (I hope) gentle way of informing you of the etiquette of this board.  I am posting this publicly because others may also benefit from being reminded of the general approach around these issues.  

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this and, again, welcome to the board.

Tim–MRF

[email protected]

Tim–MRF

Jaimy:

I am sorry that you are now part of the melanoma community, but am pleased you found this site.  You will discover that this is a great source of information and support.  The MPIP community is an amazing group of people.

I want to address one issue of protocol.  We have a lot of people who engage in this site, with a lot of different religious views.  In the past we have had some struggles with how personal beliefs should be expressed on the board.  My feeling is that we should allow a fair amount of latitude, but also be respectful of the various beliefs and feelings people hold.  For this reason, the Off Topic forum is a free-for-all in which anything and everything is discussed, but the Main Board should focus on medical and psycho-social issues.

While we have no strict guidelines, here are some general thoughts.  People often will include a statement such as "pray for me" in their posts.  I don't think anyone objects to this.  Some will immediately start praying for that person following the tradition and practice of their particular religion.  Others will think that prayer is a waste of time but will gladly keep that person in their thoughts, with hopes for positive outcomes.

Sometimes people will say something like, "My family and my faith in God have helped me through this."  Again, I don't think anyone objects to this.  Many, many people on this board have felt that their faith was an important part of their fight against melanoma.

Having said that, I believe your invitation for others to contact you so you can tell them about knowing God is better reserved for the Off-Topic forum.  It reads as though you are trying to proselytize, and that is not the purpose of this board.  Nor do people come to this board looking for information on how to embrace religion.

This is not a critique, but rather a (I hope) gentle way of informing you of the etiquette of this board.  I am posting this publicly because others may also benefit from being reminded of the general approach around these issues.  

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this and, again, welcome to the board.

Tim–MRF

[email protected]

Tim–MRF

Jaimy:

Tim–MRF

[email protected]

NYKaren
                                            Participant

Thank you for your post, Tim.

I think it's really important for members to see.

Happy New Year to everyone.

NYKaren
                                              Participant

NYKaren
                                                Participant

SarahS
                                                  Participant

Hi Jaimy,

I just wanted to wish you luck with interferon and the year ahead. I was also diagnosed with stage3 mel when I was 25 years old – mole on back of right leg, micromets in sentinel node in groin making me 3a. I started interferon in Feb. of 2007, and completed 9 months. It definitely wasn't easy, but I don't regret doing it, not for one second. I really do believe it worked for me. And I'm happy to say I'm almost 5 years cancer-free! 

If you ever need any advice on interferon or anything, don't hesitate to send me an email! Best wishes!

~SarahS

Stage3a, NED almost 5 yrs

SarahS
                                                    Participant

Hi Jaimy,

I just wanted to wish you luck with interferon and the year ahead. I was also diagnosed with stage3 mel when I was 25 years old – mole on back of right leg, micromets in sentinel node in groin making me 3a. I started interferon in Feb. of 2007, and completed 9 months. It definitely wasn't easy, but I don't regret doing it, not for one second. I really do believe it worked for me. And I'm happy to say I'm almost 5 years cancer-free! 

If you ever need any advice on interferon or anything, don't hesitate to send me an email! Best wishes!

~SarahS

SarahS
                                                      Participant

Hi Jaimy,

~SarahS

Lilylove414
                                                        Participant
                                                          I’m not trying to pressure or force people to believe in God. I’m just simply presenting the option. I will continue to talk about God in my posts because without Him I wouldn’t be doing so well. No one has to like it, no one has to agree, but they shouldn’t be offended in any way because I choose to be open about it.
                                                          Lilylove414
                                                          Participant
                                                            I’m not trying to pressure or force people to believe in God. I’m just simply presenting the option. I will continue to talk about God in my posts because without Him I wouldn’t be doing so well. No one has to like it, no one has to agree, but they shouldn’t be offended in any way because I choose to be open about it.
                                                            Lilylove414
                                                            Participant
                                                              Lilylove414
                                                              Participant
                                                                Lilylove414
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Lilylove414
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                    Participant

Jaimy,

If you believe in Jesus as your Savior then you know how important knowing God is! If you would like to know Him then hit me up! 

For the people here who don't happen to be Christian, this is extremely offensive.  

Why would anyone join a message board for melanoma patients or their families who are suffering, and as we saw this past week, possibly dying, and not follow the rules as Tim so sensitively outlined for you.  

Yes, people thank God, but that's the God of our own choosing, not your choosing.

We are a family here and most of us would bend over backwards to be inclusive and not do something that others find offensive.

Maybe you should ask yourself What Would He Do?

NYKaren
                                                                      Participant

Jaimy,

If you believe in Jesus as your Savior then you know how important knowing God is! If you would like to know Him then hit me up! 

For the people here who don't happen to be Christian, this is extremely offensive.  

Why would anyone join a message board for melanoma patients or their families who are suffering, and as we saw this past week, possibly dying, and not follow the rules as Tim so sensitively outlined for you.  

Yes, people thank God, but that's the God of our own choosing, not your choosing.

We are a family here and most of us would bend over backwards to be inclusive and not do something that others find offensive.

Lilylove414
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            I’m NOT trying to offend anyone. I just want to encourage other people. If I’ve offended you then I’m sorry but that was not my intention. I know these people are going through a hard time, I am too. And you know, I don’t appreciate just trying to be nice to others and feeling attacked. I realize Tim is righg and I apologize. But if this site is going to be like this just because we don’t believe the same thing then I came to the wrong place for support.
                                                                            Lilylove414
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              I’m NOT trying to offend anyone. I just want to encourage other people. If I’ve offended you then I’m sorry but that was not my intention. I know these people are going through a hard time, I am too. And you know, I don’t appreciate just trying to be nice to others and feeling attacked. I realize Tim is righg and I apologize. But if this site is going to be like this just because we don’t believe the same thing then I came to the wrong place for support.
                                                                              Lauri England
                                                                              Participant

I think it is very sad that the name JESUS would offend anyone regardless of their religion.  I myself would not be offended about anyones views about religion or name people wish to worship.  Alls I can say is sad.  Everyone is different and as far as I feel opinions about what works for the person fighting Melanoma should be ok to be posted.  JESUS also helps me get through each day and I do not believe I would be here somewhat healthy if not for him.  Just my thought and feelings!!

Lauri England
                                                                                Participant

I think it is very sad that the name JESUS would offend anyone regardless of their religion.  I myself would not be offended about anyones views about religion or name people wish to worship.  Alls I can say is sad.  Everyone is different and as far as I feel opinions about what works for the person fighting Melanoma should be ok to be posted.  JESUS also helps me get through each day and I do not believe I would be here somewhat healthy if not for him.  Just my thought and feelings!!

Lauri England
                                                                                  Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                    Participant

Lily,

You've absolutely come to the right place for Melanoma support.

As Tim said, the off-topic forum is more the place to discuss religion or invite people to learn more about yours.

Happy new year, and may we all be blessed with good health, cures, and NED in 2012.

All the best,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                      Participant

Lily,

As Tim said, the off-topic forum is more the place to discuss religion or invite people to learn more about yours.

Happy new year, and may we all be blessed with good health, cures, and NED in 2012.

All the best,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                        Participant

Lily,

All the best,

karen

Lilylove414
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                          NYKaren
                                                                                          Participant

Jaimy,

MissJenn
                                                                                            Participant

You go ahead and say exactly how you feel girl!!!  If Jesus gives you strength through this or if the giant green people eater were to give you strength how dare anybody tell you what to say or where to say it when you are posting your own thoughts…wow.  You are in a battle right now and don't you feel bad for anything at all you feel…or say…on your own post about you!…  Now if you had gone on another persons post and tried to tell them you want to "save" them, I can see how that could be taken offensively…  but you didn't and I am insensed how immediately this person (and supporters) wrote about ettiquiette instead of simply support.  Anyways…back on the topic that matters…  I am a fellow stage 3 patient and I understand how you feel.  You are going to need a lot of support through your time on Interferon…if you have facebook, I hope you add the Melanoma Groups available for you.  Melanoma Prayer Center will be a good one for you specifically…very uplifting and the host is simply awesome.  I'm Jennifer Miller on there…please add me if you want…I'm here for you girl…we are both newbies together!

MissJenn
                                                                                              Participant

You go ahead and say exactly how you feel girl!!!  If Jesus gives you strength through this or if the giant green people eater were to give you strength how dare anybody tell you what to say or where to say it when you are posting your own thoughts…wow.  You are in a battle right now and don't you feel bad for anything at all you feel…or say…on your own post about you!…  Now if you had gone on another persons post and tried to tell them you want to "save" them, I can see how that could be taken offensively…  but you didn't and I am insensed how immediately this person (and supporters) wrote about ettiquiette instead of simply support.  Anyways…back on the topic that matters…  I am a fellow stage 3 patient and I understand how you feel.  You are going to need a lot of support through your time on Interferon…if you have facebook, I hope you add the Melanoma Groups available for you.  Melanoma Prayer Center will be a good one for you specifically…very uplifting and the host is simply awesome.  I'm Jennifer Miller on there…please add me if you want…I'm here for you girl…we are both newbies together!

MissJenn
                                                                                                Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics