The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Here we go again

Forums General Melanoma Community Here we go again

Participant

I had a Stage 1b melanoma removed in October followed by a WLE and negative SLNB. I have been going to my dermatologist every 3 months. Last week she noticed a mole on my back that looked a bit inflamed and removed it for biopsy. She thinks it's "nothing", I heard that before! Lol! But, with my history she removed it. I keep reading that inflammation is a sign of melanoma. Is this always the case? And if it wasn't pink around the border 3 months ago, shouldn't be anything too advanced if it is, correct?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It isn't melanoma until they say it is.  Don't jump to conclusions!

Janner
          Participant

Janner
            Participant

stars
              Participant

Look, I think your reaction is perfectly normal – once you've been through the whole circus of an excision, diagnosis, WLE and in your case SLNB; it's only natural to feel very nervous at every biopsy. I remember being terrifed after every subsequent biopsy I had after I was diagnosed with melanoma. It's kind of a perfect storm where

a) you're still a bit traumatised by all the cutting and worry just a few months earlier… thinking 'here we go again', just as you named your post

b) the doctor is far more likely to excise/threshold of doubt is much lower, creating many more many opportunities for anxiety

c) you've lost confidence in your body and know now that things can go wrong… so you're no longer a Pollyanna about these things

However, realistically, it's more than likely nothing, like your doctor says. And if it is something, it's only three months worth of something, so something very early and treatable. You must be just days away from getting your biopsy results, I'm sure you'll be sighing a huge sigh of relief. Until then, there's not much you can do except keep busy and try keep your mind off it.

btcedarr
                  Participant

Thank for the boost of confidence. I am hoping for the best and as you say, if anything, caught early….I called yesterday and they said the biopsy could take 3 weeks. I am trying not to think about it, but everytime my shirt brushes across that biopsy site, it is a reminder. 🙁

btcedarr
                    Participant

Just heard from the dermatologist. Moderate to Severe Atypical Mole, but she got clear margins with the shave biopsy. Will go back for a punch to get 2mm margins just as a precaution.  Very relieved!!

keepthefaith11
                      Participant
                        So glad to hear this! Now go and enjoy your weekend!

Annie

keepthefaith11
                        Participant

Annie

keepthefaith11
                          Participant

Annie

btcedarr
                            Participant

Thank you! You, too!

btcedarr
                              Participant

Thank you! You, too!

stars
                                Participant

Excellent. It will get easier over time. It's always a nightmare getting biopsies then waiting. Go enjoy life!

stars
                                  Participant

Excellent. It will get easier over time. It's always a nightmare getting biopsies then waiting. Go enjoy life!

Mkelley1
                                    Participant

You will be fine. I am also a stage 1b patient diagnosed last April.  If u ever want to discuss anything let me know, i think its good as patients to have pther people in your shoes going through the same thing.  My email is [email protected]

Mkelley1
                                      Participant

You will be fine. I am also a stage 1b patient diagnosed last April.  If u ever want to discuss anything let me know, i think its good as patients to have pther people in your shoes going through the same thing.  My email is [email protected]

Mkelley1
                                        Participant

stars
                                          Participant

btcedarr
                                            Participant

Thank you! You, too!

btcedarr
                                              Participant

Just heard from the dermatologist. Moderate to Severe Atypical Mole, but she got clear margins with the shave biopsy. Will go back for a punch to get 2mm margins just as a precaution.  Very relieved!!

btcedarr
                                                Participant

btcedarr
                                                  Participant

Thank for the boost of confidence. I am hoping for the best and as you say, if anything, caught early….I called yesterday and they said the biopsy could take 3 weeks. I am trying not to think about it, but everytime my shirt brushes across that biopsy site, it is a reminder. 🙁

btcedarr
                                                    Participant

stars
                                                    Participant

Look, I think your reaction is perfectly normal – once you've been through the whole circus of an excision, diagnosis, WLE and in your case SLNB; it's only natural to feel very nervous at every biopsy. I remember being terrifed after every subsequent biopsy I had after I was diagnosed with melanoma. It's kind of a perfect storm where

a) you're still a bit traumatised by all the cutting and worry just a few months earlier… thinking 'here we go again', just as you named your post

b) the doctor is far more likely to excise/threshold of doubt is much lower, creating many more many opportunities for anxiety

c) you've lost confidence in your body and know now that things can go wrong… so you're no longer a Pollyanna about these things

However, realistically, it's more than likely nothing, like your doctor says. And if it is something, it's only three months worth of something, so something very early and treatable. You must be just days away from getting your biopsy results, I'm sure you'll be sighing a huge sigh of relief. Until then, there's not much you can do except keep busy and try keep your mind off it.

stars
                                                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics