The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Helpful words please….

Forums General Melanoma Community Helpful words please….

Participant
      Yesterday I visited a wonderful dermatological surgeon at the Univ. of Penn. regarding my recent diagnosis of insitu. Since I traveled over an hour to see him he was nice enough to perform a second excision yesterday, so I wouldn’t have to make an additional trip later. While was there I had him look at a mole on my leg that looks ‘wrong’ to me. He said since my recent diagnosis of insitu, I could have it removed or have my local dermatologist watch it. I asked him if he could remove it and he stated that I need to visit my local dermatologist. I visited my dermatologist 4 days ago and she examined this mole and said it seemed to look fine. This mole is on my body pictures take 1 year ago, but I think it NOW looks different. I have an appointment in 6 days to have a biopsy done of this suspicious mole. I am fraught with worry that this mole will come back as a more advanced stage of melanoma and still struggling to believe this is happening….

Any words of advice are extremely appreciated!!! Thank you.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        kthekhal
        Participant

I am a stage 3b melanoma survivor  – NED for 4 years now !  but whenever I  'see'  a suspicious looking mole, I have it biopsied regardless of  the derm's  'opinions'  about it – so far I have at least 4 of them removed and biopsied and fortunately all were non-cancerous – but that is the best path to get  'peace of mind' …

Cindy33
            Participant

I am stage 1b from 2010. More melanoma May 2012. One insitu and two severly atypical. None of my moles looked suspicious. Docs were shocked.  My docs are on a plan to take the rest of my moles – about 20. Punch biopsies at the minimum. It's too scary to leave them to watch. No more watch and wait. I had a bad feeling about some moles and insisted they be removed.. They took them off to appease me and guess what – melanoma or severly atypical. Don't take chances. Better safe than sorry. When in doubt, cut it out. I sleep better. 

God bless everyone on this site. Be strong and keep the faith.

Cindy

Cindy33
              Participant

I am stage 1b from 2010. More melanoma May 2012. One insitu and two severly atypical. None of my moles looked suspicious. Docs were shocked.  My docs are on a plan to take the rest of my moles – about 20. Punch biopsies at the minimum. It's too scary to leave them to watch. No more watch and wait. I had a bad feeling about some moles and insisted they be removed.. They took them off to appease me and guess what – melanoma or severly atypical. Don't take chances. Better safe than sorry. When in doubt, cut it out. I sleep better. 

Cindy

Cindy33
                Participant

Cindy

kthekhal
                Participant

I am a stage 3b melanoma survivor  – NED for 4 years now !  but whenever I  'see'  a suspicious looking mole, I have it biopsied regardless of  the derm's  'opinions'  about it – so far I have at least 4 of them removed and biopsied and fortunately all were non-cancerous – but that is the best path to get  'peace of mind' …

kthekhal
                  Participant

gabsound
                    Participant
                      If you think it has changed, then that is enough reason to have it biopsies. The only way to get the true diagnosis is to put it under a microscope. Based on what I know, if I’m worried about something and the dr thinks it’s “ok” I’ll say let’s take it off anyway so I can sleep at night. Trust your gut.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                      Participant
                        If you think it has changed, then that is enough reason to have it biopsies. The only way to get the true diagnosis is to put it under a microscope. Based on what I know, if I’m worried about something and the dr thinks it’s “ok” I’ll say let’s take it off anyway so I can sleep at night. Trust your gut.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                        Participant

Julie in Las Vegas

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics