The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help with weight gain

Forums General Melanoma Community Help with weight gain

Participant

Hi everyone, Lynn is on his sixth month of zelobraf and is doing well. the only problem we are having is joint pain and those nasty skin issues. small price to pay for living. our problem is after brain radiation last Dec he lost from 170 to 128 he has gained back up to 134 but cant seem to gain any or get muscle mass back. has anyone got any suggestions.  we have 2nd set of scans in nov and has done well since his 2nd gamma knife treatment.

Hi everyone, Lynn is on his sixth month of zelobraf and is doing well. the only problem we are having is joint pain and those nasty skin issues. small price to pay for living. our problem is after brain radiation last Dec he lost from 170 to 128 he has gained back up to 134 but cant seem to gain any or get muscle mass back. has anyone got any suggestions.  we have 2nd set of scans in nov and has done well since his 2nd gamma knife treatment.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          I had trouble with appetite and weight loss on Zel. What worked for me was an Rx med called Megace ES. It made me so hungry, my hubs even gained 5lbs snacking with me. Also I get high calorie protein powder at the health food/vitamin store and make a milkshake everyday with it. So glad Zel is working for you, but the side effects can be a pain!
            Mickey n Jo
            Participant

Hi, Jo here. My husband had problems with weight loss on Zel too. He went from 168lbs down to 132. We started using Boost plus or Ensure plus in addition to his meals. We also took Amys advice and bought a weight gain powder that we make a shake with. So far he's managed to gain back about 4lbs, but we're hoping he'll gain more. He had a lot of side effects from Zel, and now is on a reduced dosage. Glad to hear that Zel is working!

Mickey n Jo
              Participant

Hi, Jo here. My husband had problems with weight loss on Zel too. He went from 168lbs down to 132. We started using Boost plus or Ensure plus in addition to his meals. We also took Amys advice and bought a weight gain powder that we make a shake with. So far he's managed to gain back about 4lbs, but we're hoping he'll gain more. He had a lot of side effects from Zel, and now is on a reduced dosage. Glad to hear that Zel is working!

Mickey n Jo
                Participant

awillett1991
                Participant
                  I had trouble with appetite and weight loss on Zel. What worked for me was an Rx med called Megace ES. It made me so hungry, my hubs even gained 5lbs snacking with me. Also I get high calorie protein powder at the health food/vitamin store and make a milkshake everyday with it. So glad Zel is working for you, but the side effects can be a pain!
                  awillett1991
                  Participant
                Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics