The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help with sunscreen

Forums General Melanoma Community Help with sunscreen

Participant
      I need some help with sunscreen. I am allergic to chemical sunscreen but they did work. Now I am using physical sunscreens and I don’t think they are working. Just running errands in and out of stores and the car results in a pink chest. I was using SPF 30. Any suggestions? And yes I was wearing a hat but my upper chest still gets exposed…not interested in wearing a turtle neck in warm weather. 😉

I need some help with sunscreen. I am allergic to chemical sunscreen but they did work. Now I am using physical sunscreens and I don’t think they are working. Just running errands in and out of stores and the car results in a pink chest. I was using SPF 30. Any suggestions? And yes I was wearing a hat but my upper chest still gets exposed…not interested in wearing a turtle neck in warm weather. 😉

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

So your sunblock has zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide?  Are you taking any supplements, prescriptions or treatments that might make you more sensitive to the sun than normal?

Sunblock should be applied 15-20 minutes before you go outside to be effective.  It needs a headstart to integrate with your skin.  Sunblock is often applied too sparsely.  It should be applied liberally and reapplied every two hours or more often if you get wet.  The best things I can recommend are apply earlier, apply more, and reapply more often.  Maybe because of your allergies you are worried about applying too liberally?

Good luck on finding something that works for you.

Snickers60
            Participant

Wayne is super sensitive too.   He can wear SUNBLOCK however, and wears COOLIBAR clothes. 

We went into grocery today and just going in and out of store, he got a bad RED FACE AGAIN and has been covered up like an ESKIMO ever since, he is sooooo cold now.

COOLIBAR has some neat clothes and very pretty colors.   They are all long sleeve.

He says it's a small price to pay and we are in DEEP SOUTH, so you know we're cooking with oil here.

Hope you find something to help.  

BLESSINGS AND HEALTH TO YOU

Nancy (wife of Warrior Wayne)

Snickers60
              Participant

Wayne is super sensitive too.   He can wear SUNBLOCK however, and wears COOLIBAR clothes. 

We went into grocery today and just going in and out of store, he got a bad RED FACE AGAIN and has been covered up like an ESKIMO ever since, he is sooooo cold now.

COOLIBAR has some neat clothes and very pretty colors.   They are all long sleeve.

He says it's a small price to pay and we are in DEEP SOUTH, so you know we're cooking with oil here.

Snickers60
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

So your sunblock has zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide?  Are you taking any supplements, prescriptions or treatments that might make you more sensitive to the sun than normal?

Sunblock should be applied 15-20 minutes before you go outside to be effective.  It needs a headstart to integrate with your skin.  Sunblock is often applied too sparsely.  It should be applied liberally and reapplied every two hours or more often if you get wet.  The best things I can recommend are apply earlier, apply more, and reapply more often.  Maybe because of your allergies you are worried about applying too liberally?

Janner
                  Participant

Linny
                    Participant

This may sound crazy, but what I'd do is the same thing the 18th century ladies did: wear a fichu made from a light cotton or linen. It has to be cotton or linen because those fabrics breathe and are warm-weather-friendly. You can close it around your neck to block as much of the sun as you need. Those gals used to wear them not for just for modesty purposes but also for sunscreen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7881210@N08/3227972231

Linny
                      Participant

This may sound crazy, but what I'd do is the same thing the 18th century ladies did: wear a fichu made from a light cotton or linen. It has to be cotton or linen because those fabrics breathe and are warm-weather-friendly. You can close it around your neck to block as much of the sun as you need. Those gals used to wear them not for just for modesty purposes but also for sunscreen.

Linny
                        Participant

melissa ann
                          Participant

Hi, my husband who is a dermatologist suggests these sunscreens for you:

Neutrogena for sensitive skin

Solbar Zinc

Blue LIzard for sensitive skin

Blue Lizard for babies

He also suggest applying more than you think you need.  Studies show that almost all sunscreen failures are due to  improper application.  Good Luck, it has been very sunny here in NC and it is hard to stay out of the sun and get stuff done outside!

CLPrice31
                              Participant

I am a new fan of Blue Lizard too!

CLPrice31
                                Participant

CLPrice31
                                  Participant

melissa ann
                                  Participant

Solbar Zinc

Blue Lizard for babies

He also suggest applying more than you think you need.  Studies show that almost all sunscreen failures are due to  improper application.  Good Luck, it has been very sunny here in NC and it is hard to stay out of the sun and get stuff done outside!

melissa ann
                                    Participant

Solbar Zinc

Blue Lizard for babies

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics