The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help!!!! Nodules… Interferon high vs low?!?

Forums General Melanoma Community Help!!!! Nodules… Interferon high vs low?!?

Participant
      Hello everyone
      I’m in need of some opinions/advice for my husband.
      He’s currently stage 3… And he just got his 2nd set of ct results back today. His first ct scan showed a 5mm lung nodule back in may. Now 4 months later the nodule showed to have “possibly” grown 2 mm more. So he now has a 7mm lung nodule. His oncologist said he would prefer to wait it out another 3 or 4 months and compare again. I understand that sometimes these nodules are normal but for some reason we’re still uneasy about the 2mm difference, even though the Dr has clearly told us they don’t know if it’s melanoma or not.

Our second concern was regarding interferon. My husband had decided he wanted to do the high dose interferon rather than wait and observe. So we went in to see the oncologist with that in mind. Well turns out he has to get the 5 year low dose because infusion centers were full. I don’t get why that was even an option if it wasn’t going to be available, but we figured something was better than nothing and the dr said it was pretty much the same thing. So I’ve been researching and have been getting different answers. Can you guys share some info with us regarding high vs low dose interferon!?!?

Thanks.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I've never heard of an infusion center being full, unless you are specifically saying it has to be at exactly 4pm (for example) .  My thoughts are a second opinion because it sounds like your husbands Dr is taking away a choice.  There is a difference between the 2 interfurons. While one has the one month high dose, the other is 5 years long!  That is really something to consider and totally a personal choice just like doing interfuron is your own choice.

I've been having scans for 5 years now.  About 9 months ago 2 small nodules showed up. They could look back and spot where they were a speck and growing. I was told that growth within 2 mm could be the difference on how you lay on the table and the slicing of the pictures. I've had one month grow a mm and then I've also had them shrink 2mm. While they can do the VATS procedure to be sure, in my particular case it was decided to watch and wait.  For the first scan after discovery I negotiated a 2 month scan, now I'm back to 3 months. My nodules are 5mm and 7mm.  The 5 has never changed but the 7mm is the one that fluctuates.

Linda

Stage IV since 06,  At the present NED

lhaley
          Participant

I've never heard of an infusion center being full, unless you are specifically saying it has to be at exactly 4pm (for example) .  My thoughts are a second opinion because it sounds like your husbands Dr is taking away a choice.  There is a difference between the 2 interfurons. While one has the one month high dose, the other is 5 years long!  That is really something to consider and totally a personal choice just like doing interfuron is your own choice.

I've been having scans for 5 years now.  About 9 months ago 2 small nodules showed up. They could look back and spot where they were a speck and growing. I was told that growth within 2 mm could be the difference on how you lay on the table and the slicing of the pictures. I've had one month grow a mm and then I've also had them shrink 2mm. While they can do the VATS procedure to be sure, in my particular case it was decided to watch and wait.  For the first scan after discovery I negotiated a 2 month scan, now I'm back to 3 months. My nodules are 5mm and 7mm.  The 5 has never changed but the 7mm is the one that fluctuates.

Linda

Stage IV since 06,  At the present NED

KatyWI
            Participant

After reading this and looking at your profile, I…um…don't like your husband's oncologist very much.  (But better than the dermatologist, I guess!)  I also suggest a second opinion.

The five-year PEG interferon didn't exist when I took interferon (the 1-year version), so I can't share any thoughts about how to choose.

In the US, Interferon as a stand-alone drug is typically used for patients who are NED but at high risk of recurrence.  I'm not totally convinced that your husband is NED; you already waited four months and the lung nodule grew.  However, in Europe Interferon is sometimes used with active disease.  There's someone on the forum who's been quite successful with it, but I can't remember her name.  So trying interferon wouldn't be completely unheard of even if he's not NED, but it would be unusual for the US.

Good luck; let us know if you get another opinion and what you decide!

KatyWI

KatyWI
              Participant

After reading this and looking at your profile, I…um…don't like your husband's oncologist very much.  (But better than the dermatologist, I guess!)  I also suggest a second opinion.

The five-year PEG interferon didn't exist when I took interferon (the 1-year version), so I can't share any thoughts about how to choose.

In the US, Interferon as a stand-alone drug is typically used for patients who are NED but at high risk of recurrence.  I'm not totally convinced that your husband is NED; you already waited four months and the lung nodule grew.  However, in Europe Interferon is sometimes used with active disease.  There's someone on the forum who's been quite successful with it, but I can't remember her name.  So trying interferon wouldn't be completely unheard of even if he's not NED, but it would be unusual for the US.

Good luck; let us know if you get another opinion and what you decide!

KatyWI

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Sorry to read that the CT scan has found a small lung nodule that has grown slightly. I feel that a PET scan should be done soon, as it can pick up things that a CT scan cannot. However, it is not good at finding small areas that might be melanoma.

A biopsy is the most accurate way of determining what could be malignant, but some oncologists are reluctant to do this for lung nodules. They may prefer to wait to see if they grow. If they do, they are likely to be suspicious.

You may have heard that interferon is a very old drug, and its use is controversial. Therefore, I wonder what are your expectations with interferon?

Some newer alternatives that could be considered are: GM-CSF (Leukine), IL-2, Yervoy, BRAF inhibitors and TIL treatment.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Sorry to read that the CT scan has found a small lung nodule that has grown slightly. I feel that a PET scan should be done soon, as it can pick up things that a CT scan cannot. However, it is not good at finding small areas that might be melanoma.

A biopsy is the most accurate way of determining what could be malignant, but some oncologists are reluctant to do this for lung nodules. They may prefer to wait to see if they grow. If they do, they are likely to be suspicious.

You may have heard that interferon is a very old drug, and its use is controversial. Therefore, I wonder what are your expectations with interferon?

Some newer alternatives that could be considered are: GM-CSF (Leukine), IL-2, Yervoy, BRAF inhibitors and TIL treatment.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics