The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help finding clinical trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Help finding clinical trial

Participant

Hi guys

i have a friend with glioblastoma who just had the brain tumour removed but has been given two years to live if she does radio and chemo now. Julie's last post got me thinking to look for clinical trials for her on clinical trials.org

just wondering if any of you happen to know where there are any trials or where the best doctors are in the us for brain tumours

thanks

anne-Louise

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi,

Just tried a general search for USA.but there are too many recruiting to be able to sift and sort.

You could try the advanced search option for open trials in the USA. that would be workable for travel.. Then maybe open it up if options are not attractive. 

There is one at MD Anderson with pembro but detail excludes your friend as surgery already done…but am sure I have read that many of the immunotherapies are being trialled on brain tumours so with a bit of luck you will be able to put together a shortlist.

Would put in links but am fairly inept with a tablet…

Best of luck

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi,

Just tried a general search for USA.but there are too many recruiting to be able to sift and sort.

You could try the advanced search option for open trials in the USA. that would be workable for travel.. Then maybe open it up if options are not attractive. 

There is one at MD Anderson with pembro but detail excludes your friend as surgery already done…but am sure I have read that many of the immunotherapies are being trialled on brain tumours so with a bit of luck you will be able to put together a shortlist.

Best of luck

Deb

debwray
            Participant

Hi,

Best of luck

Deb

ed williams
              Participant

Hi anne-Louise, I can't help as far as trials but I have listen to Dr.Reardon from Boston speak on a couple of different web site like Onclive, he is a Brain surgeon and the link I am giving you is pretty detailed about current research in the field of Glioblastoma. I hope it helps!!!Ed  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QanZ5CrjsM

ed williams
                Participant

Hi anne-Louise, I can't help as far as trials but I have listen to Dr.Reardon from Boston speak on a couple of different web site like Onclive, he is a Brain surgeon and the link I am giving you is pretty detailed about current research in the field of Glioblastoma. I hope it helps!!!Ed  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QanZ5CrjsM

ed williams
                  Participant

Polymath
                    Participant

Hi Anne-Louise,

Not to complicate matters but be sure to check about insurance issues.  My understanding is trials bill your insurance for a myriad of charges which would have been considered routine care.  Some, like scans and other hospital charges could be really expensive if her insurance would not cover. 

Gary

Polymath
                      Participant

Hi Anne-Louise,

Not to complicate matters but be sure to check about insurance issues.  My understanding is trials bill your insurance for a myriad of charges which would have been considered routine care.  Some, like scans and other hospital charges could be really expensive if her insurance would not cover. 

Gary

Polymath
                        Participant

Hi Anne-Louise,

Gary

BrianP
                          Participant

Anne-Louise,

I don't know if they are the leading institution but it seems like I've seen some news lately on advancements at Duke concerning brain tumors.  You gotta figure MDAnderson and MSK are near the top of field. 

If you go on clinicaltrials.org and type in " "glioblastoma" and "Duke" (or the name of any institution you are interested in) you can see a list of some of their trials.  You could also go directly to the institution's website. 

As a sidenote a friend of ours adult daughter was treated at Duke.  She is doing remarkably well but I was told the other 4 patients in the trial did not fare as well. 

Brian

BrianP
                            Participant

Anne-Louise,

I don't know if they are the leading institution but it seems like I've seen some news lately on advancements at Duke concerning brain tumors.  You gotta figure MDAnderson and MSK are near the top of field. 

If you go on clinicaltrials.org and type in " "glioblastoma" and "Duke" (or the name of any institution you are interested in) you can see a list of some of their trials.  You could also go directly to the institution's website. 

As a sidenote a friend of ours adult daughter was treated at Duke.  She is doing remarkably well but I was told the other 4 patients in the trial did not fare as well. 

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Anne-Louise,

Brian

Bubbles
                                Participant

Sorry for your friend, Anne-Louise.  Have your friend check on BRAF-MEK options! Oddly enough melanoma and glioblastomas have overlap in their targeted theapies!  C

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Sorry for your friend, Anne-Louise.  Have your friend check on BRAF-MEK options! Oddly enough melanoma and glioblastomas have overlap in their targeted theapies!  C

Bubbles
                                    Participant

kylez
                                      Participant

Hi,

The National Brain Tumor Society sponsors a clinical trial matching service for patients with primary brain tumors like glioblastoma. The information to ger in touch with the service is here:

http://www.emergingmed.com/networks/NBTS/

I've been impressed with emerging med, which MRF uses under a different sponsorship to match trials for melanoma patients.

kylez
                                        Participant

Hi,

The National Brain Tumor Society sponsors a clinical trial matching service for patients with primary brain tumors like glioblastoma. The information to ger in touch with the service is here:

I've been impressed with emerging med, which MRF uses under a different sponsorship to match trials for melanoma patients.

kylez
                                          Participant

Hi,

Jubes
                                            Participant

Thank you all so much!! 

Great stuff to start researching for her. Her own doctors have not recommended any trials. I think she just missed one here that closed, and maybe they are not thinking of the US. But all her friends are urging her to have her plan b in place because of the bad prognosis 

Jubes
                                              Participant

Thank you all so much!! 

Great stuff to start researching for her. Her own doctors have not recommended any trials. I think she just missed one here that closed, and maybe they are not thinking of the US. But all her friends are urging her to have her plan b in place because of the bad prognosis 

Jubes
                                                Participant

Thank you all so much!! 

kylez
                                                  Participant

Another thing — a ranking of US neurosurgery programs. This is the only one I know of. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/neurology-and-neurosurgery

I had a great experience getting neurosurgery (double craniotomy) at the one currently ranked #5 on the list (UCSF). 

kylez
                                                    Participant

Another thing — a ranking of US neurosurgery programs. This is the only one I know of. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/neurology-and-neurosurgery

I had a great experience getting neurosurgery (double craniotomy) at the one currently ranked #5 on the list (UCSF). 

kylez
                                                      Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics