The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hello to any old friends

Forums General Melanoma Community Hello to any old friends

Participant

Been a long time. Two in-situ primaries about 12 years apart. Many many basil and squamous. Lost count after 30+. Used to be very active here but moved aside for others with greater needs. See that Janner is still on here! Great gal. One of the best. Currently doing Efudex on scalp for numerous aks. Still going strong and living large. Found both my primaries and most of the others. Am a pro at early detection. Both Derms thought my primaries were nothing until they got the results. I have also spotted primaries on other people and urged them to get checked. Got big hugs when I saw them later. A very early melanoma usually does not look all that unusual. Especially a superficial spreading. Both of mine initially presented as a light tan macule with a slightly shiney sheen. Normal skin is more like flat latex paint. Beware of a slight metallic sheen. Place a drop of baby oil or similar clear liquid on the lesion and look for tiny little dark brown or black spots drifting up from the DE junction. These little blobs are the first sign of abnormal nesting of melanocytes. They are easy to see with a magnifing glass. Not easy to see with a naked eye.  This is the easiest way to self check any new spot that is suspicious. By the time a lesion fits the ABCDs it may already be more than insitu.Superficial spreading is by far the most common and also the easyist to find very early. Other types are more difficult to find early but are also less common. There are now many many more new treatments for Melanoma that there were 15 years ago when I was Volunteer of the Year at Moffit Cancer Center here in Tampa. Truthfully, I burned out after spending so much time with many who were less fortunate than I was. I am happy to see that great people like Janner are still on here. I salute you all and a heartfelt wave to any other of my old friends who are still active here! For those of you who are new do not dwell on statistics. Those numbers are pretty accurate for a large population of patients, but not highly accurate for any given individual. I have known many long term survivors whose initial prognosis was not good but who fought with everything they had and defied the odds. Bless you all! 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Hey Bill,

Nice to see you stop by – glad you're doing ok.  Yes, still here.  I keep trying to break away but some how I end up back here.  Not too many still on here from the old days but a few show up now and then! 

Don't be a stranger!

Janner

jag
            Participant

Hey old Bill,

Sorry for all of the unkind things I have said in the past.  I am happy to hear that you are enjoying retirement.

Oh, and sorry that Trump won.  Could you imagine the DS fiesta over that? 

John

BillMFl
              Participant

Hi John, glad to see you are still a survivor, With all you went thru I forgive any brain farts!  Not many have been thru as much as you have and are still around. You are da bomb!

Carole K
                Participant

HI  Bill,

I can't believe I just came to MPIP and I have been thinnking about you so much this past week.  It is so nice to know you are donig well.  I am still kickin .  It will be 16 years in Jan.  Counting my blessings.  A few of us have been talking about an MPIP get together.  ARe you up for it.  I was looking at pictures of the Florid aget together last week.  

I see Marie posting on Occassion.  I chat with Don W on Occassion and Barbie Girl , Debbie R., Janner and I have connected a few times.. Debbie H, Kathie K, I just heard from John g.  ( JAG).  Sadly we lost Diane from Spokane awhile back.  

Please keep in touch.  Boy do I miss those MPIP  Days.

Love and LIght

Carole K

Carole K
                  Participant

HI  Bill,

I can't believe I just came to MPIP and I have been thinnking about you so much this past week.  It is so nice to know you are donig well.  I am still kickin .  It will be 16 years in Jan.  Counting my blessings.  A few of us have been talking about an MPIP get together.  ARe you up for it.  I was looking at pictures of the Florid aget together last week.  

I see Marie posting on Occassion.  I chat with Don W on Occassion and Barbie Girl , Debbie R., Janner and I have connected a few times.. Debbie H, Kathie K, I just heard from John g.  ( JAG).  Sadly we lost Diane from Spokane awhile back.  

Love and LIght

Carole K

Carole K
                    Participant

HI  Bill,

Love and LIght

Carole K

BillMFl
                      Participant

Hi John, glad to see you are still a survivor, With all you went thru I forgive any brain farts!  Not many have been thru as much as you have and are still around. You are da bomb!

BillMFl
                        Participant

jag
                          Participant

Hey old Bill,

Sorry for all of the unkind things I have said in the past.  I am happy to hear that you are enjoying retirement.

John

jag
                            Participant

Hey old Bill,

John

Janner
                            Participant

Hey Bill,

Nice to see you stop by – glad you're doing ok.  Yes, still here.  I keep trying to break away but some how I end up back here.  Not too many still on here from the old days but a few show up now and then! 

Don't be a stranger!

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Hey Bill,

Don't be a stranger!

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics