The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Headaches with nausea.

Forums General Melanoma Community Headaches with nausea.

Participant
      I’ve recently been experiencing headaches that cuase extreme nausea. Sounds like migraines to me but I’ve never had this problem and I’m wondering if this is something I should call my dr about. I’m not due to see her until April 2011. I’m just concerned about brain mets And i haven’t had an MRI of the brain since I was initially diagnosed in sep 2006. Did any of you with brain mets have symptoms before they were found. My once only does ct scans of my chest once a year and I worry something could be missed elsewhere in my body. Thanks any input would be helpful.

Alicia B age 28 with 2 kids
      Stage 3 melanoma 2006
      2nd primary stage1 Mel 2010

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        W.
        Participant

Alicia,

new onset of migraine is relatively common among females in their late 20s, but I would still recommend to call your doctor. If nothing else for your own peace of mind…

W.
          Participant

Alicia,

new onset of migraine is relatively common among females in their late 20s, but I would still recommend to call your doctor. If nothing else for your own peace of mind…

jag
            Participant

Well, let's assume melanoma has spread to your brain then. 

Here are some questions you should ask yourself:

Do you want it to keep growing?

Do you want to have less time to research treatment options?

Would you like to continue to feel worse to the point that you will collapse right around Christmas time?

There is never a good time to go get a scan, there is definitely a benefit to getting one sooner though.

Don't put your health secondary to everyone else's happiness.

jag
              Participant

Well, let's assume melanoma has spread to your brain then. 

Here are some questions you should ask yourself:

Do you want it to keep growing?

Do you want to have less time to research treatment options?

Would you like to continue to feel worse to the point that you will collapse right around Christmas time?

There is never a good time to go get a scan, there is definitely a benefit to getting one sooner though.

Don't put your health secondary to everyone else's happiness.

Jydnew
                Participant

Hi, 

I don't have experience with brain mets, but wanted to tell you about my husband's headache history. He was dxed stage IIIA in 2002 at age 26.  In 2006, he had a headache so terrible that he lost the ability to speak (along with severe nausea, light, and sound sensitivity).  Of course, my first thought was brain mets.  Immediately, I took him to the ER and over the course of a panicked 6 hours or so, he had and MRI and CT scan which turned up nothing.  He was admitted to the hospital because it was a Sunday, and saw a neurologist the next day.  Turns out that it was a migraine, and he's had them ever since – less frequently now than a few years ago. 

I remember the neuro saying that late 20s, early 30s were common times for the onset of migraine because there are so many hormonal changes going on at that time.

He doesn't get brain MRIs either – just CT scans at this point.  I think it's worth getting in for an MRI if you're having recurrant, severe headaches.  I mean, there are so many things it could be, but better to know everything.

Take care,

Wendy

Jydnew
                  Participant

Hi, 

I don't have experience with brain mets, but wanted to tell you about my husband's headache history. He was dxed stage IIIA in 2002 at age 26.  In 2006, he had a headache so terrible that he lost the ability to speak (along with severe nausea, light, and sound sensitivity).  Of course, my first thought was brain mets.  Immediately, I took him to the ER and over the course of a panicked 6 hours or so, he had and MRI and CT scan which turned up nothing.  He was admitted to the hospital because it was a Sunday, and saw a neurologist the next day.  Turns out that it was a migraine, and he's had them ever since – less frequently now than a few years ago. 

I remember the neuro saying that late 20s, early 30s were common times for the onset of migraine because there are so many hormonal changes going on at that time.

He doesn't get brain MRIs either – just CT scans at this point.  I think it's worth getting in for an MRI if you're having recurrant, severe headaches.  I mean, there are so many things it could be, but better to know everything.

Take care,

Wendy

Carmon in NM
                    Participant

Peace of mind is worth so much! I had bad headaches with nausea that would clear up after some tylenol and I blamed it on allergies. But in my case, it was a large metastasis that began bleeding into my brain.

In all likelyhood, like everyone has said, in your case it is the onset of migrains but wouldn't you feel better to know that? An MRI is such an easy way to put aside worry!

Carmon in NM – Stage 4 since 06/2010

Stage 3b 09/2008 to 06/2010

Carmon in NM
                      Participant

Peace of mind is worth so much! I had bad headaches with nausea that would clear up after some tylenol and I blamed it on allergies. But in my case, it was a large metastasis that began bleeding into my brain.

In all likelyhood, like everyone has said, in your case it is the onset of migrains but wouldn't you feel better to know that? An MRI is such an easy way to put aside worry!

Carmon in NM – Stage 4 since 06/2010

Stage 3b 09/2008 to 06/2010

JJO
                        Participant

Hi Alicia,

My name is Jody and I currently have 2 brain tumors. I can tell you that a headache and vomiting is a sign of brain tumor, as well as the swelling and bleeding from the tumors. I would definitely have this evaluated via MRI or CAT SCAN as soon as you can. This is one of thesituations to be safe than sorry!. Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Jody

JJO
                          Participant

Hi Alicia,

My name is Jody and I currently have 2 brain tumors. I can tell you that a headache and vomiting is a sign of brain tumor, as well as the swelling and bleeding from the tumors. I would definitely have this evaluated via MRI or CAT SCAN as soon as you can. This is one of thesituations to be safe than sorry!. Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Jody

Lori C
                            Participant

Headaches with nausea are worth getting evaluated with a brain MRI.  It certainly does not mean you have brain mets; there are many other causes.  But when Will had nausea his onc. wanted a brain MRI quickly. (he did not end up having brain mets, but with melanoma, it does "like" to go to the brain, so a prudent approach is needed).

Lori C
                              Participant

Headaches with nausea are worth getting evaluated with a brain MRI.  It certainly does not mean you have brain mets; there are many other causes.  But when Will had nausea his onc. wanted a brain MRI quickly. (he did not end up having brain mets, but with melanoma, it does "like" to go to the brain, so a prudent approach is needed).

Amy Busby
                                Participant

Each person's experience with brain mets is completely unique since there are so many variables – size, location, number, symptoms.  I had only very brief, like seconds and maybe minutes, of throbbing and a whooshing sound in my ears.  This only happened a couple of times for such a short period of time.  I doubt I would have given it a second thought if not for the fact that I was already a stage 4 melanoma patient.  But sure enough an MRI revealed leptomeningial mets – where it's in the lining of the brain, all around, rather than a solid tumor inside the brain.

There's really no way to know about the brain without taking a peek with an MRI.  Better safe than sorry.  We're currently trying to pin down the cause of my daughter's recurrent headaches and the list of possibilities seems endless.  But we definitely feel better about it knowing there's no evidence of tumors!

Amy

Amy Busby
                                  Participant

Each person's experience with brain mets is completely unique since there are so many variables – size, location, number, symptoms.  I had only very brief, like seconds and maybe minutes, of throbbing and a whooshing sound in my ears.  This only happened a couple of times for such a short period of time.  I doubt I would have given it a second thought if not for the fact that I was already a stage 4 melanoma patient.  But sure enough an MRI revealed leptomeningial mets – where it's in the lining of the brain, all around, rather than a solid tumor inside the brain.

There's really no way to know about the brain without taking a peek with an MRI.  Better safe than sorry.  We're currently trying to pin down the cause of my daughter's recurrent headaches and the list of possibilities seems endless.  But we definitely feel better about it knowing there's no evidence of tumors!

Amy

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics