The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Having a hard time understanding how melanoma behaves

Forums General Melanoma Community Having a hard time understanding how melanoma behaves

Participant

Hi all, I hope it's okay to ask these questions..

I am having an SNB and WLE next week for a 1.45mm SSM with a mitotic rate of 5. I was told that all my lymph nodes will be removed in that area at the same time if they find anything.

This is what I don't understand:

I have read many patient stories here, and also in newspaper/magazine articles. I keep seeing where a person has the melanoma removed, sometimes having SNB, continuing all their follow-up (with good/clear news along the way), and then discovering they have mets in other organs.

Hi all, I hope it's okay to ask these questions..

I am having an SNB and WLE next week for a 1.45mm SSM with a mitotic rate of 5. I was told that all my lymph nodes will be removed in that area at the same time if they find anything.

This is what I don't understand:

I have read many patient stories here, and also in newspaper/magazine articles. I keep seeing where a person has the melanoma removed, sometimes having SNB, continuing all their follow-up (with good/clear news along the way), and then discovering they have mets in other organs.

How do they get there?

Were they already there from the primary before the melanoma was diagnosed?

Can you have clear lymph nodes, but already have mets somewhere else?

Thank you for any answers, I am not trying to scare myself, I am just trying to understand.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Karin L
        Participant

(FINALLY! able to log in…sheesh!  Been trying to for over a month!)

Anyhoo, please be vigilant.  What you have described was my scenario to a T.  I went in '06 for a WLE and SNB (came back clear).  I was led to believe they got it all and had CT scans set up for once per year.  November of '10 I felt a lump in my groin.  Scans revealed mel in my lymph nodes and liver and told I was now Stage IV.  Talk about shocked.  I had just had my yearly CT in Sept.  and all was good.  Many many times it never comes back and at times it does.  There must be one little cell too small to see lurking around that decides to set up camp. 

I did not post this to scare you, but to encourage you to stay vigilant.  I was convinced that I had nothing to worry about.

Karin

Karin L
          Participant

Anyhoo, please be vigilant.  What you have described was my scenario to a T.  I went in '06 for a WLE and SNB (came back clear).  I was led to believe they got it all and had CT scans set up for once per year.  November of '10 I felt a lump in my groin.  Scans revealed mel in my lymph nodes and liver and told I was now Stage IV.  Talk about shocked.  I had just had my yearly CT in Sept.  and all was good.  Many many times it never comes back and at times it does.  There must be one little cell too small to see lurking around that decides to set up camp. 

I did not post this to scare you, but to encourage you to stay vigilant.  I was convinced that I had nothing to worry about.

Karin

Minnesota
              Participant

Thank you Karin, glad you could log in now, I've been lucky since I checked the box to stay logged in, but I've had to change my password even though I knew I was entering the right one.

First, I am so sorry this happened to you, and I really appreciate your reply. I am going to stay vigilant, but I am not sure how to do that if this rotten cancer can just show up out of nowhere. I have so many thoughts running through my head from I wish I never found out, to I wonder if it's better to find out worse news just to get more eyes on the case.

I'm very happy to read that your scan in September was good! 

Minnesota
                Participant

Thank you Karin, glad you could log in now, I've been lucky since I checked the box to stay logged in, but I've had to change my password even though I knew I was entering the right one.

First, I am so sorry this happened to you, and I really appreciate your reply. I am going to stay vigilant, but I am not sure how to do that if this rotten cancer can just show up out of nowhere. I have so many thoughts running through my head from I wish I never found out, to I wonder if it's better to find out worse news just to get more eyes on the case.

Minnesota
                  Participant

Karin L
                  Participant

Karin

kylez
                    Participant

As a patient, I think the problem is that both pathologists and radiologists are looking (at the stage before a larger tumor might form) for needles in a haystack. I don't believe the mechanism for metastasis is well understood, but if it involves small numbers of cells initially, that's the worst case of a needle they're trying to find. I don't know how sensitive tissue staining is, nor how often melanoma follows the paths to specific tissue that it could be anticipated to follow.

That certainly doesn't mean there's always something being missed. The statistics speak to that not being the case. Nor that sometimes your immune system doesn't fight off very small instances of melanoma. I've ready lately that they're finding that the small cancers of different types are happening very frequently as an almost normal state, and that a normal immune system usually fights them off before they become anything at all. My oncologist believes many more people have melanoma than know it, and the immune systems of those people are keeping it at bay for many years.

Getting back to needles and haystacks, I asked the MRI tech at my latest scan how far apart the image slices are. The tech said they varied from 3mm (thinnest) to 5mm (widest) slices. My guess would be that such an MRI probably can reveal a 3mm or larger tumor (maybe even smaller, I'm not a radiologist), but at some point in shrinking scale, it's going to be indistinguishable.  So in that case, multiple scans over time serve as another axis to understand whether disease is present.

Minnesota
                        Participant

Hi and thanks so much for the reply, kylez. 

I asked at my surgeon appt. why it seems that they wait until after treatments to do scans and she said the same thing – that they are only good at detecting tumors that are 3mm or larger. You'd think they could figure out a way to do them criss-cross so that they may have a better chance of catching at least the edge of a smaller one.

Sorry for being ignorant, but as I understand it, you're saying that it might be possible to have melanoma cells elsewhere in the body but our immune system is fighting them – they might have gone through the lymph nodes, or were so microscopic to detect in the lymph nodes and later went beyond?

I have to believe also that there must be many people walking around with undected melanoma. I'm assuming, and I'm probably wrong, that most of us are perfectly fine heath-wise when we first find melanoma, and even when mets start happening because they are so small at first. I am glad I am not sick, but all this apprehension is getting the best of me. I feel like I have been told to walk across a landmine field.  

I am sorry you are going through this, and please know that people taking the time to answer people like me means so much. 

Minnesota
                          Participant

I asked at my surgeon appt. why it seems that they wait until after treatments to do scans and she said the same thing – that they are only good at detecting tumors that are 3mm or larger. You'd think they could figure out a way to do them criss-cross so that they may have a better chance of catching at least the edge of a smaller one.

Sorry for being ignorant, but as I understand it, you're saying that it might be possible to have melanoma cells elsewhere in the body but our immune system is fighting them – they might have gone through the lymph nodes, or were so microscopic to detect in the lymph nodes and later went beyond?

I have to believe also that there must be many people walking around with undected melanoma. I'm assuming, and I'm probably wrong, that most of us are perfectly fine heath-wise when we first find melanoma, and even when mets start happening because they are so small at first. I am glad I am not sick, but all this apprehension is getting the best of me. I feel like I have been told to walk across a landmine field.  

I am sorry you are going through this, and please know that people taking the time to answer people like me means so much. 

Minnesota
                            Participant

Karin L
                              Participant

Oops.  What I meant was I was clear in Sep. '10 and by late Nov.'10 went to Stage IV. 

I just take things day by day in the new *normal* now : ).

Karin

Karin L
                                Participant

Oops.  What I meant was I was clear in Sep. '10 and by late Nov.'10 went to Stage IV. 

Karin

Karin L
                                  Participant

Karin

Minnesota
                                    Participant

I can't even imagine the shock of that Karin. I hope your new normal keeps improving every day – thanks again for helping me try to understand this.

Minnesota
                                      Participant

I can't even imagine the shock of that Karin. I hope your new normal keeps improving every day – thanks again for helping me try to understand this.

Minnesota
                                        Participant

kylez
                                          Participant

All I can say for sure is that it's possible to go from state I to stage IV without anything ever having been found in your lymph nodes. My sentinel lymph node biopsies were all negative — they never took a bunch of nodes though, just 1 each time (2 separate primaries 7 years apart). There's a good chance it will never go beyond stage I. The "how" of metastasis, though, I don't understand and I don't believe science entirely does either. I think at the current time it's just a roll of the dice.

If you do ever progress in future years, there's a good chance more and more treatments will be becoming available, like this year's approval of Yervoy and Zelboraf.

kylez
                                            Participant

All I can say for sure is that it's possible to go from state I to stage IV without anything ever having been found in your lymph nodes. My sentinel lymph node biopsies were all negative — they never took a bunch of nodes though, just 1 each time (2 separate primaries 7 years apart). There's a good chance it will never go beyond stage I. The "how" of metastasis, though, I don't understand and I don't believe science entirely does either. I think at the current time it's just a roll of the dice.

If you do ever progress in future years, there's a good chance more and more treatments will be becoming available, like this year's approval of Yervoy and Zelboraf.

kylez
                                              Participant

Minnesota
                                                Participant

Thanks again, it sure is baffling to me. I am so glad to know there are new treatments, and I hope there are mad scientists working on more right at this moment.  Hope you're having a good weekend, thanks for sharing all this with me

Minnesota
                                                  Participant

Thanks again, it sure is baffling to me. I am so glad to know there are new treatments, and I hope there are mad scientists working on more right at this moment.  Hope you're having a good weekend, thanks for sharing all this with me

Minnesota
                                                    Participant

kylez
                                                    Participant

As a patient, I think the problem is that both pathologists and radiologists are looking (at the stage before a larger tumor might form) for needles in a haystack. I don't believe the mechanism for metastasis is well understood, but if it involves small numbers of cells initially, that's the worst case of a needle they're trying to find. I don't know how sensitive tissue staining is, nor how often melanoma follows the paths to specific tissue that it could be anticipated to follow.

That certainly doesn't mean there's always something being missed. The statistics speak to that not being the case. Nor that sometimes your immune system doesn't fight off very small instances of melanoma. I've ready lately that they're finding that the small cancers of different types are happening very frequently as an almost normal state, and that a normal immune system usually fights them off before they become anything at all. My oncologist believes many more people have melanoma than know it, and the immune systems of those people are keeping it at bay for many years.

Getting back to needles and haystacks, I asked the MRI tech at my latest scan how far apart the image slices are. The tech said they varied from 3mm (thinnest) to 5mm (widest) slices. My guess would be that such an MRI probably can reveal a 3mm or larger tumor (maybe even smaller, I'm not a radiologist), but at some point in shrinking scale, it's going to be indistinguishable.  So in that case, multiple scans over time serve as another axis to understand whether disease is present.

kylez
                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                        Participant

"all my lymph nodes will be removed in that area at the same time if they find anything".  Really?  In general, they usually have to do microscopic staining of the lymph nodes to see if there is any melanoma present.  Certainly, if there were obvious signs of melanoma, then removal of the extra nodes can be done at the same time.  But the vast majority of people here have the Sentinel node(s) removed and the WLE.  Then, after the node(s) go through a thorough analysis (paraffin, staining, slicing, analysis), they go back at another time to remove the remaining lymph nodes if the sentinel node was positive.  I find it odd they are planning to do it at the same setting.  Did they mention how the plan to analyze the sentinel node?

As for your other questions, the most likely avenue for spread is via the lymph channels.  Melanoma can also spread via the blood vessels.  This tends to happen in a small percentage of the cases.  I really believe it totally depends on anatomy.  Some unlucky people may have a blood vessel in a superficial location that is convenient for the dividing and migrating cells.  And deep lesions have greater access to the blood vessels.  But in general, the lymph systems is most likely.

The SNB reflects your situation NOW.  It is not a guarantee that there aren't cells "en route".  The SNB is a very accurate test of what is in the lymph nodes at that time, but it's not full proof.   There certainly have been people with a clean SNB who later have had metastases.  It's not always easy to understand why.  Was the sentinel node incorrect?  Was something en route?  Was there cells left at the original site?  All could be possibilities.  The SNB is truly a diagnostic and staging tool and nothing more.   It's not considered therapeutic.  In addition, the WLE is also not a guarantee.  They look for cells within the margins.  But the WLE tissue isn't scrutinized to the same degree as the biopsy.  Just a lot more tissue to look at.  It is possible that margins really weren't achieved and a melanoma cell (they love to travel) was missed and was outside the WLE tissue.   Melanoma margin recommendations used to be MUCH larger.  But after many studies, they have been reduced over time.  However, there obviously is some margin of error and a WLE may leave something behind.

Melanoma is one of those cancers that has a significant tie to the immune system.  It may be that someone's immune system keeps things at bay, but if you have a period of lower immunity, you might be more susceptible to melanoma overriding the immune system.  (This is one reason why melanoma warriors cannot be organ donors.  It has been proven (unfortunately) that a NED individual who donates an organ may actually give the new organ recipient melanoma.  Recipients have to suppress their immune systems to avoid organ rejection and this gives melanoma cells a chance to take over).  There is also the possibility that mets could come from a different and undiscovered primary.  Unlikely, but you can't rule it out. 

There is no exact rhyme and reason with any cancer, and melanoma can be sneakier than most.  The thing is, knowing this changes nothing.  If you end up stage IB with a negative SNB, then monitoring your moles and palpating your lymph node basins will be the standard followup.  Scans won't be done.  Scans are controversial in any case, and haven't been shown to improve overall survival.  Some institutions won't do them for stage III/IV unless there are symptoms.  Others go overboard.  There is no "standard" when it comes to scans, except they're really not done for stage I.  Since scans can't catch microscopic cancer cells, they are of limited benefit especially for early stages.

Hang in there.  Sometimes, doing more "research" only tends to give more anxiety.  (I know this from experience).  When you know your final staging and diagnosis, then you can do research with a goal of finding out more about your exact situation.  Until then, you really might be just scaring yourself needlessly.  Not to minimize what melanoma can do, but researching current treatment options for stage IV doesn't do me a lot of good at stage I.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                          Participant

"all my lymph nodes will be removed in that area at the same time if they find anything".  Really?  In general, they usually have to do microscopic staining of the lymph nodes to see if there is any melanoma present.  Certainly, if there were obvious signs of melanoma, then removal of the extra nodes can be done at the same time.  But the vast majority of people here have the Sentinel node(s) removed and the WLE.  Then, after the node(s) go through a thorough analysis (paraffin, staining, slicing, analysis), they go back at another time to remove the remaining lymph nodes if the sentinel node was positive.  I find it odd they are planning to do it at the same setting.  Did they mention how the plan to analyze the sentinel node?

As for your other questions, the most likely avenue for spread is via the lymph channels.  Melanoma can also spread via the blood vessels.  This tends to happen in a small percentage of the cases.  I really believe it totally depends on anatomy.  Some unlucky people may have a blood vessel in a superficial location that is convenient for the dividing and migrating cells.  And deep lesions have greater access to the blood vessels.  But in general, the lymph systems is most likely.

The SNB reflects your situation NOW.  It is not a guarantee that there aren't cells "en route".  The SNB is a very accurate test of what is in the lymph nodes at that time, but it's not full proof.   There certainly have been people with a clean SNB who later have had metastases.  It's not always easy to understand why.  Was the sentinel node incorrect?  Was something en route?  Was there cells left at the original site?  All could be possibilities.  The SNB is truly a diagnostic and staging tool and nothing more.   It's not considered therapeutic.  In addition, the WLE is also not a guarantee.  They look for cells within the margins.  But the WLE tissue isn't scrutinized to the same degree as the biopsy.  Just a lot more tissue to look at.  It is possible that margins really weren't achieved and a melanoma cell (they love to travel) was missed and was outside the WLE tissue.   Melanoma margin recommendations used to be MUCH larger.  But after many studies, they have been reduced over time.  However, there obviously is some margin of error and a WLE may leave something behind.

Melanoma is one of those cancers that has a significant tie to the immune system.  It may be that someone's immune system keeps things at bay, but if you have a period of lower immunity, you might be more susceptible to melanoma overriding the immune system.  (This is one reason why melanoma warriors cannot be organ donors.  It has been proven (unfortunately) that a NED individual who donates an organ may actually give the new organ recipient melanoma.  Recipients have to suppress their immune systems to avoid organ rejection and this gives melanoma cells a chance to take over).  There is also the possibility that mets could come from a different and undiscovered primary.  Unlikely, but you can't rule it out. 

There is no exact rhyme and reason with any cancer, and melanoma can be sneakier than most.  The thing is, knowing this changes nothing.  If you end up stage IB with a negative SNB, then monitoring your moles and palpating your lymph node basins will be the standard followup.  Scans won't be done.  Scans are controversial in any case, and haven't been shown to improve overall survival.  Some institutions won't do them for stage III/IV unless there are symptoms.  Others go overboard.  There is no "standard" when it comes to scans, except they're really not done for stage I.  Since scans can't catch microscopic cancer cells, they are of limited benefit especially for early stages.

Hang in there.  Sometimes, doing more "research" only tends to give more anxiety.  (I know this from experience).  When you know your final staging and diagnosis, then you can do research with a goal of finding out more about your exact situation.  Until then, you really might be just scaring yourself needlessly.  Not to minimize what melanoma can do, but researching current treatment options for stage IV doesn't do me a lot of good at stage I.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Minnesota
                                                                Participant

Thanks Janner (again smiley) –

What the surgeon said to me was that they are taking the sentinel and any others that the dye goes to. Then she's doing a frozen section on the sentinel (and any others that have dye). If the frozen section shows anything, then all the rest in my armpit come out right then. She said it takes about 20 minutes for a frozen section. 

I'm honestly just trying to understand melanoma because my limited knowledge of cancer was that a person gets a tumor, then they hope they can remove the tumor properly, then the next hope is that it hasn't gone into the lymph nodes, and then hasn't metastasized beyond the lymph nodes. I also knew that blood cancers were different. 

The thought that there might be another unkown primary is something I didn't consider, and that makes sense (as well as rogue cells – but I would think they would collect in the lymph nodes first). My wondering/questions came from my reading patient stories so that I could get a feel for who is here, and then I felt like I kept seeing people with a similar story of all-clear to mets. I realize that the people who haven't experienced that are probably less likely to write out their story or have it published elsewhere too. I wasn't looking at any of the research or technical stuff, it was the individual stories and what seemed to be a common theme.

I can't be an organ donor because of my autoimmune disease too, it was the same reasoning. I've also been through a therapy called IVIG where I received the antibodies of up to 10,000 donors in each dose, hopefully that is not eventually tied back to accidently giving someone melanoma (doubt it's possible).

If you or anyone else thinks that having a frozen section and the possibility of removing all my lymph nodes is a bad idea, please let me know and I'll try to get in to see someone else before the surgery.  Because of where I live, I would guess that's a Mayo Clinic recommendation.

Thanks again to everyone, I am getting a better understanding.

Your new friend, Paula

Minnesota
                                                                  Participant

What the surgeon said to me was that they are taking the sentinel and any others that the dye goes to. Then she's doing a frozen section on the sentinel (and any others that have dye). If the frozen section shows anything, then all the rest in my armpit come out right then. She said it takes about 20 minutes for a frozen section. 

I'm honestly just trying to understand melanoma because my limited knowledge of cancer was that a person gets a tumor, then they hope they can remove the tumor properly, then the next hope is that it hasn't gone into the lymph nodes, and then hasn't metastasized beyond the lymph nodes. I also knew that blood cancers were different. 

The thought that there might be another unkown primary is something I didn't consider, and that makes sense (as well as rogue cells – but I would think they would collect in the lymph nodes first). My wondering/questions came from my reading patient stories so that I could get a feel for who is here, and then I felt like I kept seeing people with a similar story of all-clear to mets. I realize that the people who haven't experienced that are probably less likely to write out their story or have it published elsewhere too. I wasn't looking at any of the research or technical stuff, it was the individual stories and what seemed to be a common theme.

I can't be an organ donor because of my autoimmune disease too, it was the same reasoning. I've also been through a therapy called IVIG where I received the antibodies of up to 10,000 donors in each dose, hopefully that is not eventually tied back to accidently giving someone melanoma (doubt it's possible).

If you or anyone else thinks that having a frozen section and the possibility of removing all my lymph nodes is a bad idea, please let me know and I'll try to get in to see someone else before the surgery.  Because of where I live, I would guess that's a Mayo Clinic recommendation.

Your new friend, Paula

Janner
                                                                    Participant

I hope your doctor is planning on also doing a more detailed analysis of the nodes in addition to frozen section.  Unless the techniques have changed for the better, frozen sections don't show melanocytes very well.  That's why they do staining in paraffin – it makes the melanocytes more visible and easier to distinguish.  Mohs surgery is often done for the other types of skin cancer – but because it uses the frozen section technique, it isn't typically recommended for melanoma.  When I ask my oncologist who is a  Moh's surgeon, he told me about the staining issue and why he doesn't like to use it for melanoma.  The other types of skin cancer cells show up fine using frozen section technique.   Hence my question.  Maybe techniques have improved – it's been probably 2 years since I asked my oncologist about this.  I will say that I don't think this method is the norm around here.  Most have the LND at a separate surgery if needed.

Janner

Janner
                                                                      Participant

I hope your doctor is planning on also doing a more detailed analysis of the nodes in addition to frozen section.  Unless the techniques have changed for the better, frozen sections don't show melanocytes very well.  That's why they do staining in paraffin – it makes the melanocytes more visible and easier to distinguish.  Mohs surgery is often done for the other types of skin cancer – but because it uses the frozen section technique, it isn't typically recommended for melanoma.  When I ask my oncologist who is a  Moh's surgeon, he told me about the staining issue and why he doesn't like to use it for melanoma.  The other types of skin cancer cells show up fine using frozen section technique.   Hence my question.  Maybe techniques have improved – it's been probably 2 years since I asked my oncologist about this.  I will say that I don't think this method is the norm around here.  Most have the LND at a separate surgery if needed.

Janner

Janner
                                                                        Participant

Janner

Minnesota
                                                                          Participant

Yes, everything they take out is also going to a lab, but I'm guessing that if they cut something apart right there, they might damage it for further testing.

I am going to find out why the surgeon said they are doing it this way with me (its also what the dermatologist told me would be done). I briefly tried to google to see if frozen section has improved recently, and I don't understand any of it.

If I am understanding this right, the worry would be that it might look negative on the frozen section, but isn't, and then maybe too much tissue was used that might miss melanocytes cells in the lab?

My head hurts from too much thinking today – thanks again, its great information.

Minnesota
                                                                            Participant

Yes, everything they take out is also going to a lab, but I'm guessing that if they cut something apart right there, they might damage it for further testing.

I am going to find out why the surgeon said they are doing it this way with me (its also what the dermatologist told me would be done). I briefly tried to google to see if frozen section has improved recently, and I don't understand any of it.

If I am understanding this right, the worry would be that it might look negative on the frozen section, but isn't, and then maybe too much tissue was used that might miss melanocytes cells in the lab?

My head hurts from too much thinking today – thanks again, its great information.

Minnesota
                                                                              Participant

Minnesota
                                                                                Participant

Your new friend, Paula

Kelli100299
                                                                                  Participant

Janner –

I find your posts so informative and to the point. I appreciate the information you provide and really puts things in perspective. There is no black and white when it comes to this cancer, thanks for the information!

Kelli

Minnesota
                                                                                    Participant

Ditto from me – we were lucky to have found this site

Minnesota
                                                                                      Participant

Minnesota
                                                                                        Participant

Kelli100299
                                                                                          Participant

Janner –

I find your posts so informative and to the point. I appreciate the information you provide and really puts things in perspective. There is no black and white when it comes to this cancer, thanks for the information!

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                                                            Participant

Janner –

Kelli

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                            Participant

I feel that the one certain thing about melanoma is its unpredictability. As you may
                                                                                              have read, researchers are still trying to fully understand how melanoma behaves.

Although it is very difficult to predict what melanoma will do in any individual case,
                                                                                              there are a number of things that influence prognosis. These include:

1. Depth of the primary lesion. If the depth of the lesion is not too great, there is a
                                                                                              good chance that melanoma won't spread beyond the local lymph nodes in a short time.
                                                                                              However, if it is over 4mm there is a high probability that cancer cells will have
                                                                                              entered the bloodstream. This will then allow metastases to occur at distant sites such
                                                                                              as in internal organs.

2. Type of melanoma. It seems that some types of melanoma are more aggressive than
                                                                                              others. For example, primary dermal melanoma (see:
                                                                                              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18209168) appears to have a better prognosis than
                                                                                              nodular melanoma.

3. The immune response of the individual patient.

4. The ability of melanoma cells to form tumours by evading the effects of the immune
                                                                                              system.

5. Health and genetics of the patient.

6. The ability of melanoma cells to actively overcome the effects of treatments such as
                                                                                              chemo, or early BRAF inhibitors.

Research continues to advance rapidly, and new treatment approaches continue to be
                                                                                              developed. The newest drugs are becoming available through clinical trials, and are
                                                                                              therefore worth considering.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

Minnesota
                                                                                                Participant

Thanks Frank – great information!

Minnesota
                                                                                                  Participant

Minnesota
                                                                                                    Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                    Participant

I feel that the one certain thing about melanoma is its unpredictability. As you may
                                                                                                      have read, researchers are still trying to fully understand how melanoma behaves.

Although it is very difficult to predict what melanoma will do in any individual case,

1. Depth of the primary lesion. If the depth of the lesion is not too great, there is a
                                                                                                      good chance that melanoma won't spread beyond the local lymph nodes in a short time.
                                                                                                      However, if it is over 4mm there is a high probability that cancer cells will have
                                                                                                      entered the bloodstream. This will then allow metastases to occur at distant sites such
                                                                                                      as in internal organs.

2. Type of melanoma. It seems that some types of melanoma are more aggressive than
                                                                                                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18209168) appears to have a better prognosis than
                                                                                                      nodular melanoma.

4. The ability of melanoma cells to form tumours by evading the effects of the immune
                                                                                                      system.

6. The ability of melanoma cells to actively overcome the effects of treatments such as

Research continues to advance rapidly, and new treatment approaches continue to be
                                                                                                      developed. The newest drugs are becoming available through clinical trials, and are

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                      Participant

as in internal organs.

nodular melanoma.

system.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics