The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Have a LND or not?

Forums General Melanoma Community Have a LND or not?

Participant

Hi, I would appreciate some other people's opinions about this. After having my SLNB, I had microscopic cells in the node, other node that was removed was clear. Both my oncologist and plasitic suregeon recommended removing more nodes. From some of the research I have done, some surgeons may recommend not going forward with the LND. I am afraid of lymphadema, but I also know there is no test to detect microscopic cells. I would appreciate feedback form anyone having a simolar situation as mine. Thanks

Hi, I would appreciate some other people's opinions about this. After having my SLNB, I had microscopic cells in the node, other node that was removed was clear. Both my oncologist and plasitic suregeon recommended removing more nodes. From some of the research I have done, some surgeons may recommend not going forward with the LND. I am afraid of lymphadema, but I also know there is no test to detect microscopic cells. I would appreciate feedback form anyone having a simolar situation as mine. Thanks

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I had 4 Nodes removed during my SLNB, 2 of which had microscopic amounts on cancer.  I opted to have a complete lymph node dissection.   Thankfully it came back clear but I have not regretted the decision.  Yes, I have had lymphedema but I have managed to control it.  Mine was in the arm, so not quite as bad, but I got a sleeve as soon as I was healed, and as soon I a started with symptoms I got to a massage therapist.  So though lymphedema is there and it is chronic, it is not debilitating, it's not disfiguring, it's just mildly bothersome.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

I had 4 Nodes removed during my SLNB, 2 of which had microscopic amounts on cancer.  I opted to have a complete lymph node dissection.   Thankfully it came back clear but I have not regretted the decision.  Yes, I have had lymphedema but I have managed to control it.  Mine was in the arm, so not quite as bad, but I got a sleeve as soon as I was healed, and as soon I a started with symptoms I got to a massage therapist.  So though lymphedema is there and it is chronic, it is not debilitating, it's not disfiguring, it's just mildly bothersome.

Mary

Stage 3

akls
            Participant

Becky,

I had my LND in Feb. 2009.  I have had only mild lymphadema in my arm and that's when we flew to Florida last summer.  It went away and I've never had it since.  This is just my experience, but I wanted to let you know you don't always get lymphdema with a LND. I also only had micro in one node, but I just wanted to get the rest out.  I do know there are some people who don't get the LND and watch the nodes with ultrasound. 

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
              Participant

Becky,

I had my LND in Feb. 2009.  I have had only mild lymphadema in my arm and that's when we flew to Florida last summer.  It went away and I've never had it since.  This is just my experience, but I wanted to let you know you don't always get lymphdema with a LND. I also only had micro in one node, but I just wanted to get the rest out.  I do know there are some people who don't get the LND and watch the nodes with ultrasound. 

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Amy S. in Michigan

MariaH
                Participant

Dave had an LND in January of 2009.  His SNB came back 3 nodes positive, microscopic.  He chose to do the LND and no other nodes showed cancer.  He has never had a problem with swelling in the arm.  However, recovery was a little tougher (they had to cut through his pec muscle) since he does contruction for a living.  For Dave, the LND did not prove to be a cure.  A "wait and watch" approach with routine ultrasound is certainly a responsible alternative.

Best of luck whichever you decide,

Maria

MariaH
                  Participant

Dave had an LND in January of 2009.  His SNB came back 3 nodes positive, microscopic.  He chose to do the LND and no other nodes showed cancer.  He has never had a problem with swelling in the arm.  However, recovery was a little tougher (they had to cut through his pec muscle) since he does contruction for a living.  For Dave, the LND did not prove to be a cure.  A "wait and watch" approach with routine ultrasound is certainly a responsible alternative.

Best of luck whichever you decide,

Maria

Cooper
                    Participant

Becky,

I think you said yours was in your groin.  Lymphadema is much worst there than under the arm, I know from experience and my doctor warned me.  So if you can go another route than full node dissection do it.  I had to quit my job because of my lymphedema.

Cooper
                      Participant

Becky,

I think you said yours was in your groin.  Lymphadema is much worst there than under the arm, I know from experience and my doctor warned me.  So if you can go another route than full node dissection do it.  I had to quit my job because of my lymphedema.

Tim–MRF

I, too, have spoken with surgeons who do not do LND with only one positive node.  They say that the outcomes are no worse with just observation.  I have not looked for or seen any published data on this; that might be worth exploring.  I may be able to find a couple of articles and will post them if I do.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

I, too, have spoken with surgeons who do not do LND with only one positive node.  They say that the outcomes are no worse with just observation.  I have not looked for or seen any published data on this; that might be worth exploring.  I may be able to find a couple of articles and will post them if I do.

Tim–MRF

jimjoeb
                            Participant

My SLNB were similar to yours and I didn't think twice when the surgeon recommended LND. I agree with her perspective that my best defensive is to remove the lymph nodes where any cancer cells my exist, some even too small to be detected by modern pathology. The procedure went smoothly. Again with the surgeon's advice, I immediately (within a week of surgery) connect with a physiotherapy clinice that specializes in lymphedema treatment and risk management. They explalined to me that post surgical swelling (which I have) is not lymphedeman. They are treating the sweeling and providng me the life skills to manage the lymphedema risk.

The risk of lympehdema was an easy trade off for me when compared with the risk of evolving melanoma. IIIa is serious enough.

jimjoeb
                              Participant

My SLNB were similar to yours and I didn't think twice when the surgeon recommended LND. I agree with her perspective that my best defensive is to remove the lymph nodes where any cancer cells my exist, some even too small to be detected by modern pathology. The procedure went smoothly. Again with the surgeon's advice, I immediately (within a week of surgery) connect with a physiotherapy clinice that specializes in lymphedema treatment and risk management. They explalined to me that post surgical swelling (which I have) is not lymphedeman. They are treating the sweeling and providng me the life skills to manage the lymphedema risk.

The risk of lympehdema was an easy trade off for me when compared with the risk of evolving melanoma. IIIa is serious enough.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics