The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

has anyone tried alkalizing the body to help with the cancer???

Forums General Melanoma Community has anyone tried alkalizing the body to help with the cancer???

Participant

Hi everyone…

it is so strange… I came here because my best friend ever found that his melanoma had spread to one lymph gland after 2 yrs….

he is so busy.. and I come on here every day to learn as much as i can to help my friend..

then… yesterday.. my brother called.. and told me he has some sort of lesion on his arm.. the derm did not like the look of it and made appt

to take a "plug" and have it tested… my brother had had basal cell in the past.. and he seems to think that is what it is again.. but.. i am worried..

Hi everyone…

it is so strange… I came here because my best friend ever found that his melanoma had spread to one lymph gland after 2 yrs….

he is so busy.. and I come on here every day to learn as much as i can to help my friend..

then… yesterday.. my brother called.. and told me he has some sort of lesion on his arm.. the derm did not like the look of it and made appt

to take a "plug" and have it tested… my brother had had basal cell in the past.. and he seems to think that is what it is again.. but.. i am worried..

he said it is crusty and itches.. and the word "plug" scared me as i have heard that word here associated with biopsies of suspected melanomas..

does anyone know if taking the plug means the dr thinks its melanoma rather than a basal cell carcinoma.. i have said nothing to brother as he

is nervous already… of course i told him that basal cell is not life threatening.. and to relax…

question two is…

has anyone here tried the alkaline diet??? changing the PH of the body to alkaline rather than acid???? i have read a lot about cancer not being

able to live in an alkaline environment.. and clearly… this would be most effective if started BEFORE the cancer takes hold.. or even grows at

all..

have any of you heard of this.. or tried changing your PH.???

would like some feedback on this… my best friend is doing it.. drinking alkaline water.. macro biotic food..no drinking.. no smoking.. etc etc..

i am hoping that this is a good plan of action.. or am i just being pollyanna???

thank you all for being you.. i have gotten involved and care so much about you all..

prayers for each and every one of you.. each night.. and always in my thoughts..

thanks.. michele 

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Michele,

It's usually called a punch biopsy.  If your brother is going to a MOH's surgeon/derm then for basal cell suspicions they usually take a slice of the surface that is equal to one layer of skin at a time until they get the lesion removed. However, if not specialized in MOH's I'm not sure of the normal procedure for basal cell.  Just because something is suspicious doesn't mean that it's actually melanoma.  Hopefully his will just be funny looking.

As far as alkaline for cancer.  My body is acidic and I have talked to my urology oncologist about this (mel went to my bladder). I don't remember all of the details but basically he has told me that doing the different diets will not change the environment in my body. He said when they test the urine that is only a small part of the entire issue.  I was put on a very strict diet years ago because I had an acidic stone. It didn't change my PH at all.  I was put on medicine and it changed the PH for as long as it took to pass out of my body. They had me on up to 6 pills a day and it tore up my stomach.  Evidently different urologists feel differently and once we moved my next Dr didn't agree with the medicine because of the effect it was having on the stomach.  This was all 13 years ago and although I'm acidic I haven't had another uric acid stone.

I have never tried the alkaline water, have heard different opinions.  Have to admit that I don't drink enough water for it to make a difference.

Hope your brother is fine,

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Michele,

It's usually called a punch biopsy.  If your brother is going to a MOH's surgeon/derm then for basal cell suspicions they usually take a slice of the surface that is equal to one layer of skin at a time until they get the lesion removed. However, if not specialized in MOH's I'm not sure of the normal procedure for basal cell.  Just because something is suspicious doesn't mean that it's actually melanoma.  Hopefully his will just be funny looking.

As far as alkaline for cancer.  My body is acidic and I have talked to my urology oncologist about this (mel went to my bladder). I don't remember all of the details but basically he has told me that doing the different diets will not change the environment in my body. He said when they test the urine that is only a small part of the entire issue.  I was put on a very strict diet years ago because I had an acidic stone. It didn't change my PH at all.  I was put on medicine and it changed the PH for as long as it took to pass out of my body. They had me on up to 6 pills a day and it tore up my stomach.  Evidently different urologists feel differently and once we moved my next Dr didn't agree with the medicine because of the effect it was having on the stomach.  This was all 13 years ago and although I'm acidic I haven't had another uric acid stone.

I have never tried the alkaline water, have heard different opinions.  Have to admit that I don't drink enough water for it to make a difference.

Hope your brother is fine,

Linda

nicoli
            Participant

Hi, my friend has an alkalizing (sp?) water filter and is encouraging me to drink only that water. The water is supposed to be much more beneficial than just a change of diet.

I checked online and it seems like any other alternative/health/herbal option……… the people selling it rave about it's health benefits and the conventional medical people call it quackery.

It most likely will not hurt you but PLEASE don't rely on that alone to help when you already have cancer. I know 4 people who have died from cancer by shunning conventional medical care and used "alternative" diet, supplements, herbs, etc only.

This is not to say I don't use supplements and diet to help my body fight this beast.

Nicki, Stage 3b,scalp

nicoli
              Participant

Hi, my friend has an alkalizing (sp?) water filter and is encouraging me to drink only that water. The water is supposed to be much more beneficial than just a change of diet.

I checked online and it seems like any other alternative/health/herbal option……… the people selling it rave about it's health benefits and the conventional medical people call it quackery.

It most likely will not hurt you but PLEASE don't rely on that alone to help when you already have cancer. I know 4 people who have died from cancer by shunning conventional medical care and used "alternative" diet, supplements, herbs, etc only.

This is not to say I don't use supplements and diet to help my body fight this beast.

Nicki, Stage 3b,scalp

dian in spokane
                Participant

I agree with linda that a 'plug' likely means a 'punch' biopsy, which does not necessarily mean anything, excect that the doctor is being careful, which would be expected with something that one 'doesn't like the look of' especially with someone who already has a basal cell history.. It just makes sense. It would be weird (in my opinion) if a doctor saw something and said ..oh that looks nasty, I see you have a cancer history, lets just take a scrape off the top and test it.

There is at least one guy (the author, Mr Young) who believes strongly in the PH Diet.. He wrote a book about it that sold a ton. It might be called the PH Miracle Diet or something of that sort. If you google PH Diet and "Young" I am sure you'll be able to find out a lot. I am not sure how much the mainstream medical folks believe in it.

There have been previous discussions on this topic in the past on this board (or, rather, the previous incarnation, MPIP)  You might be able to find some info by searching the archives on the topic.There might even have been some patients who were following that diet, ans it would be nice to have a little follow up on those folks. Maybe one of them will see this thread

I bought the book and read …well..not all of it, but read much of it. I didn't think it was something I could follow realistically. It would take someone with really good discipline to do it, and I threw mine away. Not the book, the discipline. I gave the book to another, more organized cancer patient

dian in spokane
                  Participant

I agree with linda that a 'plug' likely means a 'punch' biopsy, which does not necessarily mean anything, excect that the doctor is being careful, which would be expected with something that one 'doesn't like the look of' especially with someone who already has a basal cell history.. It just makes sense. It would be weird (in my opinion) if a doctor saw something and said ..oh that looks nasty, I see you have a cancer history, lets just take a scrape off the top and test it.

There is at least one guy (the author, Mr Young) who believes strongly in the PH Diet.. He wrote a book about it that sold a ton. It might be called the PH Miracle Diet or something of that sort. If you google PH Diet and "Young" I am sure you'll be able to find out a lot. I am not sure how much the mainstream medical folks believe in it.

There have been previous discussions on this topic in the past on this board (or, rather, the previous incarnation, MPIP)  You might be able to find some info by searching the archives on the topic.There might even have been some patients who were following that diet, ans it would be nice to have a little follow up on those folks. Maybe one of them will see this thread

I bought the book and read …well..not all of it, but read much of it. I didn't think it was something I could follow realistically. It would take someone with really good discipline to do it, and I threw mine away. Not the book, the discipline. I gave the book to another, more organized cancer patient

MichaelFL
                    Participant

Here is a post from over two years ago. I will leave you to come to your own conclusions.

Doctor Simoncini, baking soda and cancer cells.

[ Replies ] [ Next Reply ] [ Help ]

Posted by MichaelFL at 05:32 on Mon, Mar 09, 2009    [Show other posts by MichaelFL]

In Reply to: Sodium bicarbonate? by Tim posted at 03:18 on Mon, Mar 09, 2009

Have you considered researching turmeric as well?

The following is strictly from my reading, and I will try to cover both sides of the story. Hopefully, someone else can chime in as well. Please understand there is no proof behind the statement that baking soda kills cancer cells, only that some claim it does. You may have to come to your own conclusions.

I have read of doctor Simoncini using it. He treats cancer as a fungus, and believes baking soda can cure someone by raising a persons body ph to 8.5 or above. He has delivered NO scientific evidence whatsoever for his hypothesis that cancer is a fungus and that it can be cured with sodium bicarbonate. He has not been able to deliver ANY reliable evidence of cured patients, or even patients who have fared better after his treatment. It is my understanding that in Italy, Simoncini was convicted for manslaughter as 3 people died as a direct result of being treated by him, and not by the cancers they had. He also was accused of fraud. Because of his conviction, he is no longer allowed to practice medicine there. He fled Italy, and from what I read he is currently working as a doctor in a private clinic in The Netherlands. I think even in The Netherlands the health inspection concluded that:

A. The sodium bicarbonate-treatment has not been scientifically proved as working.

B. It can lead to an acid/base disequilibrium in the patient.

C. That it must be strongly advised against.

On the other hand, some say sodium bicarbonate is something one can consider to try orally under a doctors supervision. Taking sodium bicarbonate to alkalize the body may make sense several hours after eating. With our modern diets being so salty, common wisdom has been to avoid extra sodium. This treatment should not be used for more than three weeks at a time. During the first week no more than two teaspoons a day of baking soda should be taken orally. During the second and third week no more than one teaspoon a day of baking soda should be taken orally. Only under the care of a medical practitioner should these maximum internal doses be exceeded.

With internal tumors, you will not be able to irrigate it directly, therefore you will have to depend upon getting the entire body pH high enough to kill the cancer. Some believe at a pH of 8.5 cancer cells will die while healthy cells will live. This has given rise to a variety of treatments based upon increasing the alkalinity of the tissues such as vegetarian diet, the drinking of fresh fruit and vegetable juices, and dietary supplementation with alkaline minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, cesium and rubidium. But some are saying no other mineral can compare to the instant alkalinizing power of baking soda for safe and effective treatment of cancer. Based upon this information, some are saying it seems safe enough to use baking soda to get the pH as high as 8.5 long enough to kill the cancer and shrink the tumor. Taking the body pH up to 8.5 is only 1 full point above normal. The objective here appears to be getting the pH to 8.5 sufficiently long enough to kill the cancer rather than keeping it dormant. It may take a few weeks to accomplish this, but some say it could happen in as little as 3-5 days. It is dependent upon getting enough baking soda throughout the system that the cancer cells are eventually bathed in it. After the cancer is dead, the ideal pH is 7.4. It is useful to monitor urine pH daily to ensure that the body remains sufficiently alkaline.

A healthy pancreas also secretes sodium bicarbonate to neutralize stomach acid and create an optimal pH environment for pancreatic enzymes. Some of these enzymes circulate in the blood to destroy cancers that occur. Too much iron interferes with the ability of the pancreas to generate sodium bicarbonate and can lead to insulin resistance. Diabetes and cancer are linked because an unhealthy pancreas advances both diseases.

From what I understand though, injections with higher dosages of sodium bicarbonate can be very dangerous: it disturbs (shocks) the ph levels in the body, which can lead to serious and sometimes even lethal complications. I believe injection is illegal in the United States, and I also believe healthy kidneys would remove much of the excess as well. It may be when you have kidney function problems your body does not filter the excess, and a problem results.

Michael

Here is a website with a few links.

http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer02/Simoncini.html

Here is his website: http://www.curenaturalicancro.com/therapy-simoncini.html

Show this message in context

Replies:

o2bcheri
                        Participant

Hi,

I thank all of you who responded… i can only access my membership here from work… lost my password..

I find this most interesting..  i am actually on akaline water myself.. and have my daughter on it as well..she has some health issues as well that worry me sick…

i am going to read all about this dr simoncini.. have heard of him before..

Hoping to have more to add when i do more research..

thanks everyone..

Michele

o2bcheri
                          Participant

Hi,

I thank all of you who responded… i can only access my membership here from work… lost my password..

I find this most interesting..  i am actually on akaline water myself.. and have my daughter on it as well..she has some health issues as well that worry me sick…

i am going to read all about this dr simoncini.. have heard of him before..

Hoping to have more to add when i do more research..

thanks everyone..

Michele

MichaelFL
                          Participant

Here is a post from over two years ago. I will leave you to come to your own conclusions.

Doctor Simoncini, baking soda and cancer cells.

[ Replies ] [ Next Reply ] [ Help ]

Posted by MichaelFL at 05:32 on Mon, Mar 09, 2009    [Show other posts by MichaelFL]

In Reply to: Sodium bicarbonate? by Tim posted at 03:18 on Mon, Mar 09, 2009

Have you considered researching turmeric as well?

The following is strictly from my reading, and I will try to cover both sides of the story. Hopefully, someone else can chime in as well. Please understand there is no proof behind the statement that baking soda kills cancer cells, only that some claim it does. You may have to come to your own conclusions.

I have read of doctor Simoncini using it. He treats cancer as a fungus, and believes baking soda can cure someone by raising a persons body ph to 8.5 or above. He has delivered NO scientific evidence whatsoever for his hypothesis that cancer is a fungus and that it can be cured with sodium bicarbonate. He has not been able to deliver ANY reliable evidence of cured patients, or even patients who have fared better after his treatment. It is my understanding that in Italy, Simoncini was convicted for manslaughter as 3 people died as a direct result of being treated by him, and not by the cancers they had. He also was accused of fraud. Because of his conviction, he is no longer allowed to practice medicine there. He fled Italy, and from what I read he is currently working as a doctor in a private clinic in The Netherlands. I think even in The Netherlands the health inspection concluded that:

A. The sodium bicarbonate-treatment has not been scientifically proved as working.

B. It can lead to an acid/base disequilibrium in the patient.

C. That it must be strongly advised against.

On the other hand, some say sodium bicarbonate is something one can consider to try orally under a doctors supervision. Taking sodium bicarbonate to alkalize the body may make sense several hours after eating. With our modern diets being so salty, common wisdom has been to avoid extra sodium. This treatment should not be used for more than three weeks at a time. During the first week no more than two teaspoons a day of baking soda should be taken orally. During the second and third week no more than one teaspoon a day of baking soda should be taken orally. Only under the care of a medical practitioner should these maximum internal doses be exceeded.

With internal tumors, you will not be able to irrigate it directly, therefore you will have to depend upon getting the entire body pH high enough to kill the cancer. Some believe at a pH of 8.5 cancer cells will die while healthy cells will live. This has given rise to a variety of treatments based upon increasing the alkalinity of the tissues such as vegetarian diet, the drinking of fresh fruit and vegetable juices, and dietary supplementation with alkaline minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, cesium and rubidium. But some are saying no other mineral can compare to the instant alkalinizing power of baking soda for safe and effective treatment of cancer. Based upon this information, some are saying it seems safe enough to use baking soda to get the pH as high as 8.5 long enough to kill the cancer and shrink the tumor. Taking the body pH up to 8.5 is only 1 full point above normal. The objective here appears to be getting the pH to 8.5 sufficiently long enough to kill the cancer rather than keeping it dormant. It may take a few weeks to accomplish this, but some say it could happen in as little as 3-5 days. It is dependent upon getting enough baking soda throughout the system that the cancer cells are eventually bathed in it. After the cancer is dead, the ideal pH is 7.4. It is useful to monitor urine pH daily to ensure that the body remains sufficiently alkaline.

A healthy pancreas also secretes sodium bicarbonate to neutralize stomach acid and create an optimal pH environment for pancreatic enzymes. Some of these enzymes circulate in the blood to destroy cancers that occur. Too much iron interferes with the ability of the pancreas to generate sodium bicarbonate and can lead to insulin resistance. Diabetes and cancer are linked because an unhealthy pancreas advances both diseases.

From what I understand though, injections with higher dosages of sodium bicarbonate can be very dangerous: it disturbs (shocks) the ph levels in the body, which can lead to serious and sometimes even lethal complications. I believe injection is illegal in the United States, and I also believe healthy kidneys would remove much of the excess as well. It may be when you have kidney function problems your body does not filter the excess, and a problem results.

Michael

Here is a website with a few links.

http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer02/Simoncini.html

Here is his website: http://www.curenaturalicancro.com/therapy-simoncini.html

Show this message in context

Replies:

jag
                            Participant

I have tried the macrobiotic diet, and it failed.  It is pretty tough, and requires discipline, and every cancer is different, so just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it wont help somebody else.

Not being negative, just wanted to calm your nerves if you feel guilty about eating a hotdog or a soda, same rule applies for normal life.  Good food exercise and social support go a long way.  

jag
                              Participant

I have tried the macrobiotic diet, and it failed.  It is pretty tough, and requires discipline, and every cancer is different, so just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it wont help somebody else.

Not being negative, just wanted to calm your nerves if you feel guilty about eating a hotdog or a soda, same rule applies for normal life.  Good food exercise and social support go a long way.  

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Do   research about where the tumor gets its feeding (blood).  Determine how much a persons blood PH can change and one still live.  I would love to see actual research as to a tumor being isolated and alkalized,  versus changing the pH level of  ones saliva or urine.  My Oncologist does not believe that one can change the pH of the blood going to a tumor enough to make a real difference to the life of a tumor.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Do   research about where the tumor gets its feeding (blood).  Determine how much a persons blood PH can change and one still live.  I would love to see actual research as to a tumor being isolated and alkalized,  versus changing the pH level of  ones saliva or urine.  My Oncologist does not believe that one can change the pH of the blood going to a tumor enough to make a real difference to the life of a tumor.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Hello Michele,

The best web site for natural health info in MY OPINION is http://www.naturalnews.com

Not yet a subscriber? Sign up at:
                                      http://www.NaturalNews.com/ReaderRegistration.html

Do a search on "naturalnews.com and PH".

I personally would be more concerned about the Vitamin D deficiency

facing almost people. If interested "Lab Corp" has a true Vit. D test or you may want to search the Vitamin D council/org for more info.

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                      Participant

Hello Michele,

The best web site for natural health info in MY OPINION is http://www.naturalnews.com

Not yet a subscriber? Sign up at:
                                        http://www.NaturalNews.com/ReaderRegistration.html

Do a search on "naturalnews.com and PH".

I personally would be more concerned about the Vitamin D deficiency

facing almost people. If interested "Lab Corp" has a true Vit. D test or you may want to search the Vitamin D council/org for more info.

Best wishes,

Gene

Jim M.
                                        Participant

Hi Michele,

Whole grains, colorful vegetables, dark leafy greens, legumes, fruit, soy, and healthier nuts such as brazil nuts, almonds and walnuts are foods that naturally work to alkalize the body. Books that I'd recommend are: "Challenge Cancer and Win", "Foods to Fight Cancer", "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" and "Anticancer, A New Way of Life". I've bought PH strips ( or testing tape) as a way to measure my alkalinity. You dip the end of a strip in your saliva and it will turn a certain color which corresponds with how alkaline/acidic your body is. You can also buy a bottle of unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar( the kind that has cloudy stuff floating in the bottle). A teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in water each day is another way to alkalize the body. Sorry but I don't have any medical information/ websites to give you about this. I learned about this technique from an old thread on the former MPIP website. I don't do this technique much anymore but just stick to nutritious foods.

I read a book on macrobiotics and decided it wasn't for me. Some foods the authors recommend are very high in salt content. They also tend to limit some nutritious foods such as fruit. I do agree that brown rice at most meals is important( I don't do brown rice for breakfast).

God Bless and take care,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED 3.5 years

Jim M.
                                          Participant

Hi Michele,

Whole grains, colorful vegetables, dark leafy greens, legumes, fruit, soy, and healthier nuts such as brazil nuts, almonds and walnuts are foods that naturally work to alkalize the body. Books that I'd recommend are: "Challenge Cancer and Win", "Foods to Fight Cancer", "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" and "Anticancer, A New Way of Life". I've bought PH strips ( or testing tape) as a way to measure my alkalinity. You dip the end of a strip in your saliva and it will turn a certain color which corresponds with how alkaline/acidic your body is. You can also buy a bottle of unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar( the kind that has cloudy stuff floating in the bottle). A teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in water each day is another way to alkalize the body. Sorry but I don't have any medical information/ websites to give you about this. I learned about this technique from an old thread on the former MPIP website. I don't do this technique much anymore but just stick to nutritious foods.

I read a book on macrobiotics and decided it wasn't for me. Some foods the authors recommend are very high in salt content. They also tend to limit some nutritious foods such as fruit. I do agree that brown rice at most meals is important( I don't do brown rice for breakfast).

God Bless and take care,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED 3.5 years

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics