The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anyone had this after a CT scan or MRI?

Forums General Melanoma Community Has anyone had this after a CT scan or MRI?

Participant

My husband was recently diagnosed with stage IV melanoma which has spread to his lymph nodes.  So far he has felt just fine (physically), and treatment will start next week.   However, the day after an MRI (with compound) two weeks ago, his arm where the IV was became extremely sore as did the areas where the tumors are near his armpit, chest and neck.  His forearm was red and swollen.  This lasted about 3 days and slowly subsided.  I googled and read about extravasation which is a problem that occurs when contrast leaks into the tissue around the vein with the IV was placed.  An article I was reading said it was rare but it happens, and it described his exact symptoms.  We assumed that’s what had happened.   Than late last week he had a CT scan and it happened again.  He was in agonizing pain all weekend.  Saturday you could tell through his shirt that his peck muscle on that side was swollen.  Sunday that was gone but there was swelling around his neck and shoulder.  Today he is starting to feel better.  He just thinks it’s the cancer; the tumors starting to cause pain.  I think it’s pretty odd that it happened each time after those two tests.  However, I researched and was unable to come up with any information that MRI’s or CT scans caused this kind of discomfort, and I know the same compound is not used in both tests.   I’ll ask his Dr. at our next visit, but meanwhile I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I know we have more serious things to worry about down the road, but I am just wondering if all this pain is from the cancer or from the test.

Thank you

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        CindyJ
        Participant

Where my mother goes for labs (and prior infusions) two nurses talked her into getting a port for this very reason (leaking) and because her veins are so weak. So it does happen. Just wanted to share what we experienced. Best Wishes.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics