The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anybody suffered from Fibromyalgia following multiple treatments?

Forums General Melanoma Community Has anybody suffered from Fibromyalgia following multiple treatments?

Participant

I have had interferon, biochemo, TIL, and Yervoy.  I am blessed to still be here since I have had unresectable Stage IV melanoma since 2009.  Now they tell me my chronic pain is probably due to fibro.  Has anyone else had this happen?

I have had interferon, biochemo, TIL, and Yervoy.  I am blessed to still be here since I have had unresectable Stage IV melanoma since 2009.  Now they tell me my chronic pain is probably due to fibro.  Has anyone else had this happen?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MaryD
        Participant

Oh yes – I sure have and thought I was the only one!  I actually was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 20 years ago but it was well under control and I barely thought about it.

In 2001 I was DX with melanoma (all my recurrences were resectable) and over the years did one year of Interferon, a vaccine clinical trial, radiation, Ipi, and a 6 month course of pulsed IL-2.   The great news is that I have been NED for 4 1/2 years now (thank God every day!) – the bad is that the pulsed IL-2 caused an ongoing bad flare of fibromyalgia which I'm still fighting.   I did tons of research and found that there is documentation that cytokine therapy can trigger or aggravate it.

Given all the treatments you did , I don't doubt that is was has caused the fibromyalia.  If you're like me, no doubt you've tried a lot of meds and in fact I'm just getting ready to try Topomax.   It really is a difficult condition to manage because it tends to wax and wane – and is unpredictable.    I do hope though that your melanoma is under control and that you are doing well otherwise.

Know that you're not alone with either of those situations!

Mary

Theresa123
            Participant

Thank you so much for your answer!!  The Doctor is putting me on Norpramine.  I have been in a lot of pain lately.  The IL-2  info was interesting since I have been on it so much. 

I am under control with my mel.  I think. 

take care!!!

Theresa123
              Participant

Thank you so much for your answer!!  The Doctor is putting me on Norpramine.  I have been in a lot of pain lately.  The IL-2  info was interesting since I have been on it so much. 

take care!!!

Theresa123
                Participant

take care!!!

MaryD
                Participant

Oh yes – I sure have and thought I was the only one!  I actually was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 20 years ago but it was well under control and I barely thought about it.

In 2001 I was DX with melanoma (all my recurrences were resectable) and over the years did one year of Interferon, a vaccine clinical trial, radiation, Ipi, and a 6 month course of pulsed IL-2.   The great news is that I have been NED for 4 1/2 years now (thank God every day!) – the bad is that the pulsed IL-2 caused an ongoing bad flare of fibromyalgia which I'm still fighting.   I did tons of research and found that there is documentation that cytokine therapy can trigger or aggravate it.

Given all the treatments you did , I don't doubt that is was has caused the fibromyalia.  If you're like me, no doubt you've tried a lot of meds and in fact I'm just getting ready to try Topomax.   It really is a difficult condition to manage because it tends to wax and wane – and is unpredictable.    I do hope though that your melanoma is under control and that you are doing well otherwise.

Mary

MaryD
                  Participant

Mary

Colleen66
                    Participant

Hi Guys.

I have a thought for you to consider.  Fibromyalgia seems to be a catchall for inflammation, achy joints, brain fog, stomach issues and such.  Kinda of like the IBS umbrella.  

I don't know if you have ever heard of celiac disease but it is an autoimmune disease.  It can start at any point of life.  It can be genetic or start after a sickness, pregnancy,  any traumatic event.  Some people can have digestive issues while others don't.  If can effect any part of the body or most parts.  

Celiac disease, like melanoma, is not curable but Celiac can be easily controlled.  A gluten free diet is all it takes.  In celiac, the gluten grains start the reaction and things go haywire from there.  

People with Diabetes and Autism can also benefit from this diet, there are on-going studies in this area.

A gluten free diet is easy to follow.  Three grains you can't have are wheat, barley and rye.  The easiest way do do this is to shop the perimeter of the store.  Fresh foods, etc.  Stay away from processed foods and dont try to substitute gluten free food for the regular version with the exception of bread and pasta.  Gluten free processed food inherently has more sugar.  

If you want to try it, give it a full month to eat gluten free and see if some symptoms are fading, that will tell you whether gluten has become an issue for you or not.  Also make sure your thyroid is functioning correctly as it usually goes hand in hand with celiac and other autoimmune diseases.

If you would like more information, shoot me a message.

Best of luck,

Colleen 

Theresa123
                        Participant

Thanks for the info, Colleen!!

Theresa123
                          Participant

Theresa123
                            Participant

Colleen66
                            Participant

Hi Guys.

I have a thought for you to consider.  Fibromyalgia seems to be a catchall for inflammation, achy joints, brain fog, stomach issues and such.  Kinda of like the IBS umbrella.  

I don't know if you have ever heard of celiac disease but it is an autoimmune disease.  It can start at any point of life.  It can be genetic or start after a sickness, pregnancy,  any traumatic event.  Some people can have digestive issues while others don't.  If can effect any part of the body or most parts.  

Celiac disease, like melanoma, is not curable but Celiac can be easily controlled.  A gluten free diet is all it takes.  In celiac, the gluten grains start the reaction and things go haywire from there.  

People with Diabetes and Autism can also benefit from this diet, there are on-going studies in this area.

A gluten free diet is easy to follow.  Three grains you can't have are wheat, barley and rye.  The easiest way do do this is to shop the perimeter of the store.  Fresh foods, etc.  Stay away from processed foods and dont try to substitute gluten free food for the regular version with the exception of bread and pasta.  Gluten free processed food inherently has more sugar.  

If you want to try it, give it a full month to eat gluten free and see if some symptoms are fading, that will tell you whether gluten has become an issue for you or not.  Also make sure your thyroid is functioning correctly as it usually goes hand in hand with celiac and other autoimmune diseases.

Best of luck,

Colleen 

Colleen66
                              Participant

Hi Guys.

Best of luck,

Colleen 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics