The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Happy New Year: Status Update

Forums General Melanoma Community Happy New Year: Status Update

Participant

It has been a long time since I have posted here but my life has been touched by people dealing with melanoma several times in recent weeks and I thought I'd share my status.   

I received the "standard" protocol of TIL at NIH in May of 2012.  I had an amazing response to treatment and was declared NED about a year after that.  My wonderful NED status has continued without a bump in the road.  Because things had progressed so well following treatment, my wife and I (being encouraged by my doctors saying that I should expect to be around awhile) decided to try to a second child.  We welcomed a beautiful baby boy into our family in early November. 

Almost every day I think about my time dealing with melanoma -along with all those dealing with it today.  I wish you all the best year in whatever phase you are in: Having it sucks, loving someone who has it sucks and getting over having it isn't easy either.  And to all those who are supporting someone out there – you rock! 

Happy 2015.

Troy

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Troy, congratulations–and thanks for the message of hope!  You are truly living the dream.

Mat
          Participant

Troy, congratulations–and thanks for the message of hope!  You are truly living the dream.

Mat
            Participant

Maureen038
                Participant

Congratulations Troy for still being NED and more wonderfully for having another child!! I don't know if you remember me and my husband Bill, but you were kind enough to visit us when my husband was going through the TIL trial. It meant a lot to us! Bill is back at NIH and is about to have VATS surgery on one nodule not responding to Opdivo. They will take the tissue and make TIL cells and freeze them in case he needs them again. I've seen on the news that Dr. Rosenberg has changed the process of making TIL cells somewhat so it is more personalized to that person. There will be a PBS show coming on in the spring on cancer where his work will be highlighted. 

We are wishing you the best!! Please keep checking in because you give all of us hope!!

Maureen

TSchulz
                  Participant

Maureen, 

Of course I remember you both. I am sorry to hear you are still struggling with this stuff. It sounds as if you are close to getting a handle on it though.  Thank you for the update and the info about the pbs program – I'll look for it. All the best to you both. Troy 

TSchulz
                    Participant

Maureen, 

Of course I remember you both. I am sorry to hear you are still struggling with this stuff. It sounds as if you are close to getting a handle on it though.  Thank you for the update and the info about the pbs program – I'll look for it. All the best to you both. Troy 

Maureen038
                      Participant

Thanks Troy!! We feel we are in a good place finally! After surgery, Bill will continue his infusions with Opdivo and hopefully we won't ever have to use the frozen TIL cells. Give your beautiful children big hugs and enjoy and cherish each day!! 

Maureen

Maureen038
                        Participant

Thanks Troy!! We feel we are in a good place finally! After surgery, Bill will continue his infusions with Opdivo and hopefully we won't ever have to use the frozen TIL cells. Give your beautiful children big hugs and enjoy and cherish each day!! 

Maureen

Maureen038
                          Participant

Maureen

TSchulz
                            Participant

Maureen, 

Maureen038
                              Participant

Congratulations Troy for still being NED and more wonderfully for having another child!! I don't know if you remember me and my husband Bill, but you were kind enough to visit us when my husband was going through the TIL trial. It meant a lot to us! Bill is back at NIH and is about to have VATS surgery on one nodule not responding to Opdivo. They will take the tissue and make TIL cells and freeze them in case he needs them again. I've seen on the news that Dr. Rosenberg has changed the process of making TIL cells somewhat so it is more personalized to that person. There will be a PBS show coming on in the spring on cancer where his work will be highlighted. 

We are wishing you the best!! Please keep checking in because you give all of us hope!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                Participant

Maureen

Happy_girl
                                Participant

Thanks for sharing ! You are right that it just sucks all the way around, but I think I have definately learned to be thankful and love others most of all!  My daughter  will turn 1 in February- I was actually diagnosed when she was 6 weeks old( hello emotional rolls roaster). Loving every minute with my daughter! Sounds like you are doing the same with your son! 

Happy 2015

oh… Go bucks!

O-H! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy_girl
                                  Participant

Thanks for sharing ! You are right that it just sucks all the way around, but I think I have definately learned to be thankful and love others most of all!  My daughter  will turn 1 in February- I was actually diagnosed when she was 6 weeks old( hello emotional rolls roaster). Loving every minute with my daughter! Sounds like you are doing the same with your son! 

Happy 2015

oh… Go bucks!

O-H! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy_girl
                                    Participant

Happy 2015

oh… Go bucks!

O-H! ๐Ÿ™‚

DZnDef
                                      Participant

Congratulations, Troy, on your NED status and the expansion of your family!  It is so nice to hear of people like yourself enjoying a healthy and full life after a melanoma diagnosis.  I wish you continued good health and happiness.  Thank you so much for sharing your status with us.

Cheers!

Maggie

tschmith
                                          Participant

Thank you for sharing your all around good news!   You are truly blessed!   

Happy 2015!

Terrie

tschmith
                                            Participant

Happy 2015!

Terrie

tschmith
                                              Participant

Happy 2015!

Terrie

DZnDef
                                              Participant

Congratulations, Troy, on your NED status and the expansion of your family!  It is so nice to hear of people like yourself enjoying a healthy and full life after a melanoma diagnosis.  I wish you continued good health and happiness.  Thank you so much for sharing your status with us.

Cheers!

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                Participant

Cheers!

Maggie

jenny22
                                                  Participant

Wonderful news…..congratulations on your new baby!!!!

There are SO MANY emotional highs and lows of this awful disease.  Your good news would defiinitely count as one of the high points.

Again, congrats…on your continued NED status and the new baby!

jenny22
                                                    Participant

There are SO MANY emotional highs and lows of this awful disease.  Your good news would defiinitely count as one of the high points.

jenny22
                                                      Participant

Swanee
                                                        Participant

Hi Troy!

What a lovely night to see a post from you and especially followed with such wonderful news, continued NED and another beautiful baby…..Congratulations!

It is so important to read these uplifting posts to know that there is hope and melanoma can be  overcome and life goes on with new determination.  My heart is light hearing this news and I'm so happy for you and your sweet wife!

I'm hoping we will see you again at SCCA, perhaps we can have a bit of reunion in May! 

Best of everything to you Troy and your lovely family!

Swanee

Swanee
                                                          Participant

Hi Troy!

What a lovely night to see a post from you and especially followed with such wonderful news, continued NED and another beautiful baby…..Congratulations!

It is so important to read these uplifting posts to know that there is hope and melanoma can be  overcome and life goes on with new determination.  My heart is light hearing this news and I'm so happy for you and your sweet wife!

I'm hoping we will see you again at SCCA, perhaps we can have a bit of reunion in May! 

Swanee

Swanee
                                                            Participant

Hi Troy!

Swanee

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics