The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Had 1st Yervoy Infusion on Wednesday

Forums General Melanoma Community Had 1st Yervoy Infusion on Wednesday

Participant

Hi All:

I had posted a couple weeks ago that I was going to go the immunotherapy route instead of the CLND of the right groin.  Okay maybe on the fence on what to do.  Well no turning back now.  Did the first treatment on Wednesday.  Did not know it would be 4 hours long, I guess I assumed it was 2 hours.  So far no side effects.  Went to work the next day.  I work in retail and on my feet for 8 hours.  I still have swelling of my right foot/let, I am thinking from the SLNB.  That is one of the reason I did not want to the CLND cause I am prone to swelling.

My oncologist still brought up the CLND that morning.  He does understand my decision.  I told him if I was diagnosed a year ago then that would of course been the decision.

I will keep you all posted on side effects.  Next infusion is Sept. 7th.

Be Brave!

Donna, TX

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jon M
        Participant

Hi Donna,

Im getting ready to decided what to do as far as if i want to do a CLND or start immunotherapy route. I just had my wide excsion done along with a skin graft and SLNB 2 weeks ago and got my results yesterday that the did spread to the SN. Im really unsure of anything at this point i dont know what i want to do. I go back on Moday to meet with the doctor to get my options.

Jon M
          Participant

Hi Donna,

Im getting ready to decided what to do as far as if i want to do a CLND or start immunotherapy route. I just had my wide excsion done along with a skin graft and SLNB 2 weeks ago and got my results yesterday that the did spread to the SN. Im really unsure of anything at this point i dont know what i want to do. I go back on Moday to meet with the doctor to get my options.

Jon M
            Participant

Hi Donna,

jennunicorn
              Participant

Hope it goes smoothly with little side effects for you! I have gotten used to the long infusion days, but it is a bit misleading when you hear the infusion only takes 90 minutes. But, like for me, I wake up bright and early for the 45 minute drive to the hospital, get blood drawn, see my onc an hour after the blood draw so she has those results first, then after I see her I usually have 30 minutes before I check into the infusion clinic, then once inside the infusion clinic the long wait for the drug to be made and brought upstairs, usually 45-60 minutes, THEN the infusion starts for 90 minutes, then another 15 or so for the flush and THEN I can finally go home! It takes quite a bit out of me, and certainly not something we get informed much about before we start this thing. I get my second maintenance dose on Monday, so my long day is coming up 🙂

All the best,

dmturner
                  Participant

Thanks, Jenn!!  My husband did not know about the maintenance doses, till this past Wednesday.  Oops.  Insurance, of course, starts over again 1st of the year. 

Besides not knowing the length of time, my oncologist was running over 1 1/2 hours late.  So, we were thinking we would be home a bit after 12 but was home after 4:30.  Dang Dallas traffic.

Best, D

dmturner
                    Participant

Thanks, Jenn!!  My husband did not know about the maintenance doses, till this past Wednesday.  Oops.  Insurance, of course, starts over again 1st of the year. 

Besides not knowing the length of time, my oncologist was running over 1 1/2 hours late.  So, we were thinking we would be home a bit after 12 but was home after 4:30.  Dang Dallas traffic.

Best, D

dmturner
                      Participant

Best, D

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Ah, yes, always great when the docs are running late! 

Not everyone does the maintenance doses. My oncologist said that not many people make it through all of the 4 main doses, due to serious side effects popping up that makes them have to stop treatment. So, there's probably not too many like me that have gotten this far. And I think some people would rather stop with the main 4 even if it went fairly well. Probably just a personal choice at that point…. my thinking is if it's going well for me then why stop earlier than I need to. Get as much of it in me to make sure I don't deal with this stuff again! 

jennunicorn
                          Participant

Not everyone does the maintenance doses. My oncologist said that not many people make it through all of the 4 main doses, due to serious side effects popping up that makes them have to stop treatment. So, there's probably not too many like me that have gotten this far. And I think some people would rather stop with the main 4 even if it went fairly well. Probably just a personal choice at that point…. my thinking is if it's going well for me then why stop earlier than I need to. Get as much of it in me to make sure I don't deal with this stuff again! 

jennunicorn
                            Participant

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Hope it goes smoothly with little side effects for you! I have gotten used to the long infusion days, but it is a bit misleading when you hear the infusion only takes 90 minutes. But, like for me, I wake up bright and early for the 45 minute drive to the hospital, get blood drawn, see my onc an hour after the blood draw so she has those results first, then after I see her I usually have 30 minutes before I check into the infusion clinic, then once inside the infusion clinic the long wait for the drug to be made and brought upstairs, usually 45-60 minutes, THEN the infusion starts for 90 minutes, then another 15 or so for the flush and THEN I can finally go home! It takes quite a bit out of me, and certainly not something we get informed much about before we start this thing. I get my second maintenance dose on Monday, so my long day is coming up 🙂

All the best,

jennunicorn
                              Participant

All the best,

slh4448
                                Participant

Hi Donna,

I came across your post. I'm starting Yervoy 10mg this Thursday. May I ask what dose you are on? I really only ask because you mentioned insurance in one of your posts.

I just wanted to share that my oncologist has told me that I will be able to get Yervoy 10mg free from BMS. My doctor's office will file any appeal if necessary but he has told me that he has several patients getting the drug for free. Might have to pay for administration cost, etc., but the drug is being offered free by BMS especially for the 10mg dose.

In case you didn't know about this, I wanted to share my experience. Take care,

Stacy

slh4448
                                  Participant

Hi Donna,

I came across your post. I'm starting Yervoy 10mg this Thursday. May I ask what dose you are on? I really only ask because you mentioned insurance in one of your posts.

I just wanted to share that my oncologist has told me that I will be able to get Yervoy 10mg free from BMS. My doctor's office will file any appeal if necessary but he has told me that he has several patients getting the drug for free. Might have to pay for administration cost, etc., but the drug is being offered free by BMS especially for the 10mg dose.

Stacy

jennunicorn
                                      Participant

I am on the same program, it is awesome! I pay $130 for infusion and nothing for the drug, great deal!

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

I am on the same program, it is awesome! I pay $130 for infusion and nothing for the drug, great deal!

jennunicorn
                                          Participant

youngann
                                            Participant

I'll be having my first infusion 8/24 and will be doing 3mg/mL. Until we meet our $12,000 out of pocket cost, our insurance will only cover 70%. Thank goodness BMS agreed to pay up to $25,000 towards the cost of the drug.

youngann
                                              Participant

I'll be having my first infusion 8/24 and will be doing 3mg/mL. Until we meet our $12,000 out of pocket cost, our insurance will only cover 70%. Thank goodness BMS agreed to pay up to $25,000 towards the cost of the drug.

youngann
                                                Participant

dmturner
                                                  Participant

10 mg.  What is BMS? 

Thanks in advance!!

-Donna

dmturner
                                                    Participant

10 mg.  What is BMS? 

Thanks in advance!!

-Donna

dmturner
                                                      Participant

Bristol Myers Squibb

I think we make too much money.  Not much over for 2 person household.  I work in retail and my husband gets SS.

dmturner
                                                        Participant

Bristol Myers Squibb

I think we make too much money.  Not much over for 2 person household.  I work in retail and my husband gets SS.

slh4448
                                                          Participant

I'm not sure about household income in relation to getting free drug. It's my understanding that it doesn't matter. 

slh4448
                                                            Participant

I'm not sure about household income in relation to getting free drug. It's my understanding that it doesn't matter. 

slh4448
                                                              Participant

dmturner
                                                                Participant

Bristol Myers Squibb

dmturner
                                                                  Participant

10 mg.  What is BMS? 

Thanks in advance!!

-Donna

slh4448
                                                                  Participant

Hi Donna,

Stacy

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics