The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Guidance and Help requested

Forums General Melanoma Community Guidance and Help requested

Participant
      My scan showed a brand new 2.5×2.0 CM tumor in my liver. Wasn’t there : months ago. Should I ask for surgery, TVEC or continue on immunotherapy. Thank everyone. Trent
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MelMel
        Participant
          Hi Trent, I know this is extremely difficult but you need to have a bit of patience. You only started infusions at the end of May and oncologists generally expect to see some results in three months. You have some shrinkage in other places. It maybe pseudo progression where small tumors existed and now are enlarged before they shrink. Or it maybe spread but immunotherapy did not fully kick in. As Celeste stated in your previous post, liver can have cysts which have nothing to do with melanoma.
          Instead of thinking the worst, try to remain positive since our minds are powerful in healing us if we only allow them. Either way, you are being looked after at one of the best melanoma centers and as I recall your next appointment is a week from today. I would ask your oncologist if you can have a liver biopsy. I have had one and it was the way they diagnosed my melanoma since I had no primary.
          Best wishes,
          Melanie
            MelMel
            Participant
              Liver biopsy is an easy procedure and painless. You feel an occasional twich here an there but are as good as new within 2 -3 days and this comes from a huge chicken when it comes to doctors and any procedures. In five days, you know for sure what it is.
              THMoore
              Participant
                Miss Mel, you and Bubbles float the moon to me. I had no primary also. Just woke up one day and boom, my neck had a golf ball in it. I haven’t talked with the oncologist yet, just the primary doctor, which I love. I was wanting to get all my ducks and questions in a row before we met. Really didn’t want a biopsy because I know it’s melanoma. It wasn’t there 2 months ago. I truly appreciate you listening and input. It’s just me and my wife and it pains me to see her have to take care of me. Love to all. T
              A
              Participant
                What does doctor recommend? What is your doctor assessment of your disease status on Opdivo? Something to keep in mind that Yervoy could be added to Opdivo. The combo has more side effects compared to Opdivo monotherapy, but the response rate is much better.
                  THMoore
                  Participant
                    I don’t see the oncologist until next week. I like to go prepared with questions for different scenarios. Like, is it small enough to remove surgically, can TVEC be used, MDA was trying to avoid IPI because of my physical disability.
                    MelMel
                    Participant
                      I understand since I had wondered and asked the same questions. Initially, I had multiple tumors in lungs, liver and chest lymphnodes. After two combo infusions the lymphnodes returned to normal, all tumors drastically shrunk. My lungs also had multiple nodules which went away. Now, after a year on Opdivo, things are stable but not shrinking. I asked why can’t we remove the liver tumors? My onclogist said that we can after all of the lung ones are gone. I still have two lung ones remaining, all be it small but still there. My understanding is that as long as it is surgically possible and as long as it is isolated to a single organ, they may remove the tumor or even tumors. I think in your case, it is too early because they want to see if the tumors respond to treatment first. The problem is that my oncologist believes that the tumor must be completely gone and not just stable or non active. Liver is a large organ and regenerates so a small tumor can be removed easily however it is also a highly vascular organ with critical arteries and veins passing through and you need to inquire about the exact location of your tumor. Of course, all great questions to ask. I think TVEC is possible but not as first line of treatment but of course ask your oncologist in more detail.
                      THMoore
                      Participant
                        I always appreciate your responses and guidance. Since it is 2.5CM, I am hoping it is in a area that can be removed. I will find out next week after meeting with the oncologist. Thx Miss Mel. T
                  Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics