The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

GSK Mek Great Scans!

Forums General Melanoma Community GSK Mek Great Scans!

Participant

Hi  An update on Brent,  He has been on the trial since Feb.  He is feeling good and is still working with a Local derm on antibiotics and creams to help with the really really bad rash.  The derm here in Bradenton Fl  was instrumental in producing a cream that is being tested in a trial in CA for inhibitors induced rash.  He is really looking better each day. 

Anyway overall 30 percent reduction and no new mets.  

Hi  An update on Brent,  He has been on the trial since Feb.  He is feeling good and is still working with a Local derm on antibiotics and creams to help with the really really bad rash.  The derm here in Bradenton Fl  was instrumental in producing a cream that is being tested in a trial in CA for inhibitors induced rash.  He is really looking better each day. 

Anyway overall 30 percent reduction and no new mets.  

The week before his scans and the week after the scans  we moved out of our house and into a motorhome.  We are going to travel for 2 months.  He was tired but it was doable for him.

We are Blessed.

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        emilypen
        Participant

Awesome, such good news. My  hubby starts the GSK Mek inhibitor in 2 weeks and it's good to hear that its working out there.

Have a great trip.

Emily

killmel
          Participant

Hi Sharmon,

Great news….hope he continues to do well.

Can you tell us more about the cream. I live in CA with my sister & she also has a terrible rash from inhibitors.

Where can she get the cream. Where/who has the trial on the cream? Any info would be sincerely appreciated.

Wish continue success with treatment.

sharmon
              Participant

Hi, 

The cream that is working for him is mupirocin and the antibiotic is dicoxacillin 250 mg  It is one Capsule 2 times a day.

I will more time to locate the trial information.  I found it looking up dicoxacillin clinical trials for mek inhibitors.

sharmon
                Participant

Hi ,  Brent also soaks his face and scalp by submerging in warm salt water.  Derm recommended.

sharmon
                  Participant

Hi ,  Brent also soaks his face and scalp by submerging in warm salt water.  Derm recommended.

Lori CO
                  Participant

Love to see this!! Thanks for posting. Have a great trip.

Lori

Stage IV

Grand Junction, CO

Lori CO
                    Participant

Love to see this!! Thanks for posting. Have a great trip.

Lori

Stage IV

Grand Junction, CO

King
                      Participant

This is wonderful news, Sharon!!!!  Reduction…yeah!  I'm so happy that the travel will be happening.

Stay Strong
                        Kathie

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                        Participant

This is wonderful news, Sharon!!!!  Reduction…yeah!  I'm so happy that the travel will be happening.

Stay Strong
                          Kathie

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

Rocklove
                          Participant

It's so good to hear good news Sharon. I hope You and Brent have a wonderful time together the next few months traveling. Please keep us updated as so many of us are praying for You two.

Rocky

Rocklove
                            Participant

It's so good to hear good news Sharon. I hope You and Brent have a wonderful time together the next few months traveling. Please keep us updated as so many of us are praying for You two.

Rocky

triciad
                              Participant

Congratulations!  Here's to continued success!  Enjoy your travels.

triciad
                                Participant

Congratulations!  Here's to continued success!  Enjoy your travels.

Nurse Pat
                                  Participant

What type of premedications do you take prior to taking the GSK1120212?  Do you take it everyday?   I hear the rash is the worst, but others say leg pains (arthralgias).

PeterS
                                      Participant

Hi,

I am fortunate that my rash is mild (nothing like Jonah's post on http://www.groinstrong.com 

The whole time of the course I am prescribed Doxycycline (2x100mg).  Recently I got Pyridoxine (vit B6) (3x50mg).

Every day I put on Diprobase all over the body  (sometimes twice a day for the parts with rash).  

The hydrocortisone 1% cream didn't have much effect on me.  Now trying Clindamycin although such a small stick for that much surface is time consuming.

About 3 weeks ago I had a rash on my scalp and got Elocon.  That stuff did wonders and cleared up the problem in a few days.  It dries out the skin, so I had to put Diprobase on the days I was treating it with Elocon.  Now that the problem is resolved, I now use Oilatum scalp shampoo and haven't had issues since.

After working in the garden, I had cracked skin on two fingers which had bled.  Even though it was healing, the protocol seems to stipulate that I had to be taken off the drug for a week.  It was also unfortunate that I had two mouth ulcers which I was successfully treating with Bonjela.  It was unfortunate but they have to stick to the rules.  I now cream up my hands with Neutrogena cream almost every time after I wash them, and twice a day I use Corsodyl mouth wash.  The bottom of my feet and heels tend to get dry so I treat it with Scholl Cracked Heel Repair Cream if it starts to get worse, or otherwise with the regular Diprobase.

Just to complete the list, I also use the Oilatum shower gel on my face especially as it is easier to make sure my ears are all greased up.

Peter

PeterS
                                        Participant

Hi,

I am fortunate that my rash is mild (nothing like Jonah's post on http://www.groinstrong.com 

The whole time of the course I am prescribed Doxycycline (2x100mg).  Recently I got Pyridoxine (vit B6) (3x50mg).

Every day I put on Diprobase all over the body  (sometimes twice a day for the parts with rash).  

The hydrocortisone 1% cream didn't have much effect on me.  Now trying Clindamycin although such a small stick for that much surface is time consuming.

About 3 weeks ago I had a rash on my scalp and got Elocon.  That stuff did wonders and cleared up the problem in a few days.  It dries out the skin, so I had to put Diprobase on the days I was treating it with Elocon.  Now that the problem is resolved, I now use Oilatum scalp shampoo and haven't had issues since.

After working in the garden, I had cracked skin on two fingers which had bled.  Even though it was healing, the protocol seems to stipulate that I had to be taken off the drug for a week.  It was also unfortunate that I had two mouth ulcers which I was successfully treating with Bonjela.  It was unfortunate but they have to stick to the rules.  I now cream up my hands with Neutrogena cream almost every time after I wash them, and twice a day I use Corsodyl mouth wash.  The bottom of my feet and heels tend to get dry so I treat it with Scholl Cracked Heel Repair Cream if it starts to get worse, or otherwise with the regular Diprobase.

Just to complete the list, I also use the Oilatum shower gel on my face especially as it is easier to make sure my ears are all greased up.

Peter

Nurse Pat
                                        Participant

What type of premedications do you take prior to taking the GSK1120212?  Do you take it everyday?   I hear the rash is the worst, but others say leg pains (arthralgias).

Nurse Pat
                                          Participant

Nurse Pat
                                            Participant

Nurse Pat
                                              Participant

Nurse Pat
                                                Participant

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics