The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

GSK Dabrafenib and Tranetinib

Forums General Melanoma Community GSK Dabrafenib and Tranetinib

Participant

I have been following you all now since July. My very good friend was diagnosed with Stage IV with no primary in July 2012. By sheer luck, she had a cyst that caused her severe pain and when she had her op. to remove it, they discovered melanoma in her ovary. She was 29 then. I say sheer luck, because otherwise it wouldn't have been dealt with.

I have been following you all now since July. My very good friend was diagnosed with Stage IV with no primary in July 2012. By sheer luck, she had a cyst that caused her severe pain and when she had her op. to remove it, they discovered melanoma in her ovary. She was 29 then. I say sheer luck, because otherwise it wouldn't have been dealt with.

We live in the UK and she managed to get onto the GSK trial. She started on the trial in August and has had two scans. On the first scan, the mets in her lung and hip began to shrink. Her second scan showed that her lung mets were immeasurable and her hip tumour hadn't got any smaller but  it had begun to decay from within.

When we got the original diagnosis, we were all devastated, obviously. I was appointed the role of Researcher in 'Team Helen ' and my greatest source was MPIP. Thanks to all of you for providing me with information and hope so I could feed it all back to her. I think of you all every day and will you on, cheer you on and pray for you all. I shed a tear for Kevin (several) but really appreciate your  bravery, strength and sheer bloody determination.

Thank you all very much. You are pioneers.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

I'm so happy to hear that Dabrafenib + Tranetinib is working well for you friend. I always though it sounded like a good idea (BRAF + MEK inhibitors) but it's great to learn that it is living up to its promise. Thanks for sharing and keep posting. We need input and encouragment like yours!

POW
          Participant

I'm so happy to hear that Dabrafenib + Tranetinib is working well for you friend. I always though it sounded like a good idea (BRAF + MEK inhibitors) but it's great to learn that it is living up to its promise. Thanks for sharing and keep posting. We need input and encouragment like yours!

POW
            Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
              Participant

I have been on the GSK BRAF/MEK trial for 19 months.  None of my are evident any longer.  The only things that show up are a couple of pinpoint areas of enhacement where I had a large bone met (femur).  I hope your friend has a longlasting response live I've had.

Best wishes,

Harry

vicuk
                  Participant

Thanks very much for that Harry! I've passed the message on and I know it will give her hope.

Wishing you a Happy Christmas!

Best Wishes,

Vic .

vicuk
                    Participant

Thanks very much for that Harry! I've passed the message on and I know it will give her hope.

Best Wishes,

Vic .

vicuk
                      Participant

Best Wishes,

Vic .

Harry in Fair Oaks
                      Participant

I have been on the GSK BRAF/MEK trial for 19 months.  None of my are evident any longer.  The only things that show up are a couple of pinpoint areas of enhacement where I had a large bone met (femur).  I hope your friend has a longlasting response live I've had.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

While reports of these treatments don't help my particular type melanoma, they sure help morale and provide info to pass on to others.  Research is getting closer for us all.

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

While reports of these treatments don't help my particular type melanoma, they sure help morale and provide info to pass on to others.  Research is getting closer for us all.

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics