The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

GSK BRAF with randomized MEK trial—then what?

Forums General Melanoma Community GSK BRAF with randomized MEK trial—then what?

Participant

My husband has been on this trial at UCSF for 26 weeks now.  His tumors have been reduced by over 74% and have gone from a total of over 15 cm to slightly over 3 cm.  He has had 3 PET scans, and there has been improvement each time, although it has been less dramatic each time.

My husband has been on this trial at UCSF for 26 weeks now.  His tumors have been reduced by over 74% and have gone from a total of over 15 cm to slightly over 3 cm.  He has had 3 PET scans, and there has been improvement each time, although it has been less dramatic each time.

Although I am thrilled, I am concerned about all of the comments that this treatment causes only temporary results.  What is the plan b?  When do we know that it is time to pursue another course of action?  Is the BRAF/MEK treatment always just temporary?  Since 77% of the patients from the Roche trials are still living, how do we know this to be true?

Thanks for any insite or advice.

Deborah

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Charlie S
        Participant

Try not to overthink a possible problem of tomorrow to the point of distraction of today.

Yes, there is some concern about  durability, but I have learned it is a question of the ability of today with not only melanoma but life in general..

To ease your concerns, have an open conversationn with his doc and ask if their is a plan forward should there be a setback.

Other than a bunch of numbers, do you have any physical reason to think he will not be a responder?   Nothing is true with melanomna..

My suggestion?  Unannounced, ,drag your husband out to some notelll motel for a few hours of  less than holy activity and  afford yourselves a fun day…………..after all, is it not  the day with him you desire?

At least you will have a distraction and can check one another for bedbugs.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
          Participant

Try not to overthink a possible problem of tomorrow to the point of distraction of today.

Yes, there is some concern about  durability, but I have learned it is a question of the ability of today with not only melanoma but life in general..

To ease your concerns, have an open conversationn with his doc and ask if their is a plan forward should there be a setback.

Other than a bunch of numbers, do you have any physical reason to think he will not be a responder?   Nothing is true with melanomna..

My suggestion?  Unannounced, ,drag your husband out to some notelll motel for a few hours of  less than holy activity and  afford yourselves a fun day…………..after all, is it not  the day with him you desire?

At least you will have a distraction and can check one another for bedbugs.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics