The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ground glass opacity and thickening in lungs

Forums General Melanoma Community Ground glass opacity and thickening in lungs

Participant

Looking for info about ct finding ground glass opacity and thickening of lungs. It has been 11 months since the last recurrence. Stage IV. Surgery, radiation and Nivo have followed.  Is this finding concerning? Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Dhva
        Participant

Also tree in bud opacity found. Left lung.

MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Wow, thanks for alowing me to learn these 2 new “Lung lingo” terms! Ground Glass & Tree in Bud terms! Sounds like their both considered non-specific findings wich is scary, id hate a report of that! I to have lung problems, mine is actual Melanoma (both lungs) at stage 4. Im currently taking Opdivo (completed 4 bags of Yervoy in the beganing) and will continue on til further notice..good luck DHVA..
            Jennab0525
            Participant

Hello DHVA!

Have you ever been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis or diagnosed as a carrier?? Many people think that CF is only a childhood disease BUT it actually is becoming more and more common for adults to be diagnosed with late onset mild CF. I know because my brother and I have both recently been diagnosed in our 40’s!

what you are describing is a very common CT finding for CF patients and represents a condition called Bronchiastasis. Not deadly but it can cause upper respiratory issues. The tree in bud nodules are actually small mucus plugs or impactions on the end of the bronchial tubes. 

Anyway, just a thought!!

Dhva
                Participant

No, my son has not been diagnosed with cf.  He is 31.  We saw the np to go over scan results and she said “radiologists overreact and it’s probably an atypical infection, so let’s wait 3 months and see what the next ct scans indicate”.  I’m not comfortable with this, but my son agreed and it’s his decision. Of course, when he developed uveitis, the onc and np said it was seasonal allergies…so, needless to say, sleep will not be my friend for the next three months.

Dhva
                  Participant

Btw, for background,he was diagnosed stage 3b and on ipi when he developed uveitis. Treatment was stopped. He had a recurrence and was re -staged :IV.  He had surgery, radiation and Nivo. He has three more Nivo treatments to go. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics