The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Groin lymph node removal – post op problems

Forums General Melanoma Community Groin lymph node removal – post op problems

Participant

Almost 3 weeks have passed since I've had the superficial lymph nodes removed in my groin.  I had some of my staples removed last Friday and everything looked good.

Almost 3 weeks have passed since I've had the superficial lymph nodes removed in my groin.  I had some of my staples removed last Friday and everything looked good. This morning, I felt a lump just above the suture line which is very painful and even hurts when I cough.  During surgery, they found 1 lymph node positive for melanoma, but I'm still awaiting the results from the other 17 that were removed.  I also had a PET scan that revealed NED.  That being said, could this hardened lump be a recurrence of the melanoma so soon after surgery and if so, is it normal to be this painful?  I've placed a call into my surgeon just to be on the safe side, but wanted to know if any of you have experienced this?   It's hard not to be paranoid about these things when you've been recently diagnosed with Stage 3 Melanoma, but it could also be a bunch of other things that arn't cancer.

Thanks!

Lisa

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I'd think the lump is more likely to be a cyst, hematoma or seroma.  Have your drains been removed?  If so, you are still trying to develop new drainage paths for the lymph fluid.   It often builds up and creates a fluid pocket before it  finally develops a new way to drain.  This can happen at any point during the healing process. Certainly talk to your doctor, but seromas are common after LNDs.  Scar tissue can also cause lumps and pain.  I wouldn't jump to any conclusions because there are plenty of benign common ones more likely than a recurrence at this point.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

I'd think the lump is more likely to be a cyst, hematoma or seroma.  Have your drains been removed?  If so, you are still trying to develop new drainage paths for the lymph fluid.   It often builds up and creates a fluid pocket before it  finally develops a new way to drain.  This can happen at any point during the healing process. Certainly talk to your doctor, but seromas are common after LNDs.  Scar tissue can also cause lumps and pain.  I wouldn't jump to any conclusions because there are plenty of benign common ones more likely than a recurrence at this point.

Best wishes,

Janner

Carver
            Participant

Hi Lisa, I had a lot of pain after my groin lymph node dissection. It's not uncommon for people to have chronic pain after that particular surgery. In my case I had a seroma (fluid filled large mass) which eventually got smaller but I ended up with a hardened area where the seroma was. I also have a lot of scar tissue. I'm 6 years out from my groin lymph node dissection and haven't had a recurrence. You should discuss your issues with your doctor but there is every reason to think this isn't a recurrence. Also, I should mention that I still had surgical drains in at the point you are at and although they were removed at 4 weeks the drains had to go back in. I had them for an unusual length of time but 3 or 4 weeks isn't that unusual in terms of continuing to need drainage. Best of luck, Carver

Lisa13
                Participant

Hi Carver,

I'm meeting with my surgeon tomorrow to discuss the elongated lump above my sutures – she said it could be a glanduloma, but at least she's getting me in ASAP.  I still have my drain in – going on almost 3 weeks. Still lots of fluid draining, so I suspect another 10 days or so.  I should also be receiving my pathology results from my wide excision and the 19 lymph nodes removed.  1 had cancer when they took it out, the others of course are being researched.  Once I know everything, I can start planning treatment which may be radiation, followed by Interferon (1 month) or a clinical trial.

I hope and pray that I can have a success story just like you. Beating the odds and clearing that 5 year mark, must have felt like a huge accomplishment to you – Best of luck to you too! Lisa 

Lisa13
                  Participant

Hi Carver,

I'm meeting with my surgeon tomorrow to discuss the elongated lump above my sutures – she said it could be a glanduloma, but at least she's getting me in ASAP.  I still have my drain in – going on almost 3 weeks. Still lots of fluid draining, so I suspect another 10 days or so.  I should also be receiving my pathology results from my wide excision and the 19 lymph nodes removed.  1 had cancer when they took it out, the others of course are being researched.  Once I know everything, I can start planning treatment which may be radiation, followed by Interferon (1 month) or a clinical trial.

I hope and pray that I can have a success story just like you. Beating the odds and clearing that 5 year mark, must have felt like a huge accomplishment to you – Best of luck to you too! Lisa 

Lisa13
                    Participant

Hi Carver,

Lisa13
                      Participant

Hi Carver,

Lisa13
                        Participant

Hi Carver,

Lisa13
                          Participant

Hi Carver,

Carver
                          Participant

Hi Lisa, I had a lot of pain after my groin lymph node dissection. It's not uncommon for people to have chronic pain after that particular surgery. In my case I had a seroma (fluid filled large mass) which eventually got smaller but I ended up with a hardened area where the seroma was. I also have a lot of scar tissue. I'm 6 years out from my groin lymph node dissection and haven't had a recurrence. You should discuss your issues with your doctor but there is every reason to think this isn't a recurrence. Also, I should mention that I still had surgical drains in at the point you are at and although they were removed at 4 weeks the drains had to go back in. I had them for an unusual length of time but 3 or 4 weeks isn't that unusual in terms of continuing to need drainage. Best of luck, Carver

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics