The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good scans/need advice

Forums General Melanoma Community Good scans/need advice

Participant

My husband is on the ipi/nivolumbab trial in Pittsburg. Since his third infusion the first week of December, he developed hemolytic anemia probably due to Yervoy. He hasn't had any drugs since except steroids which he has been off of for almost three weeks. His hemoglobin level is 11.6 now which is great. His scans were stable. Two lung nodules grew a few mm while two lung nodules shrank a few mm. That's great news considering he's been off the drugs for almost three months. We are waiting to hear if he can start nivolumbab next week which he would receive every two weeks for 48 weeks as part of the phase one trial.

My concern is that Bill has been tested for PD1 expression and it's negative. I know that about 25 percent of people who don't have the expression respond well, but what if he doesn't? We have already been told that it wouldn't be safe for him to have yervoy again. Being Braf wild type, it terrifies me what drugs are left. He has done HD interferon and the ACT at NIH. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your support!

Maureen

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Maureen,

if your husband progresses, you might want to ask Dr. Kirkwood about hd IL-2.

jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Maureen,

jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Maureen,

jimmy b

POW
              Participant

We're beginning to hear more and more good things about antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) which are now in clinical trials. For a nice, simple overview check out: http://www.gene.com/stories/understanding-antibody-drug-conjugates

If he is BRAF negative and has severe reactions to checkpoint therapies, you might check out ADC. Sarah Cannon in Nashville is one location for them.  

Maureen038
                  Participant

Thank you Jim and Pat for your advice! I hate the waiting game. ๐Ÿ™  We already have made appointments with Dr. Atkins and Dr. Venna for advice too. Pat, he is Braf negative. I will be praying that Bill is one of the lucky ones to respond to nivolumbab. Maybe both of you can answer this question for me. When he had ACT at NIH and they grew billions of TIL cells, don't TIL cells have pd1 on them?

Maureen

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

When the T-cells are activated, the PD-1 & CTLA-4 receptors migrate to the surface of the cells. These receptors bind with other proteins to shut down the immune response. The antibodies of the pd1 & ctla-4 block this signaling.

jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
                      Participant

When the T-cells are activated, the PD-1 & CTLA-4 receptors migrate to the surface of the cells. These receptors bind with other proteins to shut down the immune response. The antibodies of the pd1 & ctla-4 block this signaling.

jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
                        Participant

jimmy b

POW
                          Participant

Maureen, to add to what Jim said…

I don't know as much about PD1/PD-L1 as I would like to. I think that  there is a webinar about it on the Melanoma International website that I will watch one day soon.

What I do know is that when PD-L1 (L stands for "ligand") binds to PD1on the surface of  T-cells, the complex shuts down the T-cell. This is how the body keeps any and every immune response from running wild. Some melanomas are able to put PD-L1on their cell surface. When a PD1 T-cell binds to it, the T-cell shuts down. Essentially, the PD-L1 on the melanoma acts like a "cloak of invisibility" to protect the melanoma from T-cells.  

Antibodies to PD1 bind to the PD1 on T-cells and prevent PD1 binding to PD-L1. This protects the T-cells from such shut-downs. Antibodies to PD-L1 bind to PD-L1 bearing melanoma cells and prevents PD1 from binding to PD-L1. This also protects the T-cells from shutting down. That's about all I know. 

POW
                            Participant

I don't know as much about PD1/PD-L1 as I would like to. I think that  there is a webinar about it on the Melanoma International website that I will watch one day soon.

What I do know is that when PD-L1 (L stands for "ligand") binds to PD1on the surface of  T-cells, the complex shuts down the T-cell. This is how the body keeps any and every immune response from running wild. Some melanomas are able to put PD-L1on their cell surface. When a PD1 T-cell binds to it, the T-cell shuts down. Essentially, the PD-L1 on the melanoma acts like a "cloak of invisibility" to protect the melanoma from T-cells.  

Antibodies to PD1 bind to the PD1 on T-cells and prevent PD1 binding to PD-L1. This protects the T-cells from such shut-downs. Antibodies to PD-L1 bind to PD-L1 bearing melanoma cells and prevents PD1 from binding to PD-L1. This also protects the T-cells from shutting down. That's about all I know. 

Maureen038
                              Participant

Thanks Pat and Jim for helping me. Pat, I will look for the webinar on MIF. I'm going to try my best to take a deep breath and try to relax  until I find out more information. Thanks for the support!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                Participant

Thanks Pat and Jim for helping me. Pat, I will look for the webinar on MIF. I'm going to try my best to take a deep breath and try to relax  until I find out more information. Thanks for the support!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                  Participant

Maureen

POW
                                    Participant

Maureen038
                                      Participant

Thank you Jim and Pat for your advice! I hate the waiting game. ๐Ÿ™  We already have made appointments with Dr. Atkins and Dr. Venna for advice too. Pat, he is Braf negative. I will be praying that Bill is one of the lucky ones to respond to nivolumbab. Maybe both of you can answer this question for me. When he had ACT at NIH and they grew billions of TIL cells, don't TIL cells have pd1 on them?

Maureen

Maureen038
                                        Participant

Maureen

POW
                                        Participant

We're beginning to hear more and more good things about antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) which are now in clinical trials. For a nice, simple overview check out: http://www.gene.com/stories/understanding-antibody-drug-conjugates

If he is BRAF negative and has severe reactions to checkpoint therapies, you might check out ADC. Sarah Cannon in Nashville is one location for them.  

POW
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics