The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good news with a twist

Forums General Melanoma Community Good news with a twist

Participant

After my latest MRI and PET, all my lung mets have resolved.  I have no FDG Uptake in my lungs at all.  A half dozen doses of Keytruda after failing the Ipi/Nivo combo have paid off.  Also, the favorite phrase for all of us here, no new mets.  That phrase from the onc never gets old.

Now for the twist.  The tumor in my back is growing.  FDG uptake is up to 13.2.  It seems the Keytruda may be slowing it, but it can't overcome it.  The tumor is causing me considerable pain and is pushing against my spinal fluid.  The tumor is in the bone of my 5th rib and kind of looks like a lollipop sticking into my spine.  After consultation, conversation, and everything else I have decided surgery is the best route.  My Mayo medical teams all say radiation is a bad idea right now.  Even the radiologist doesn't recommend radiation because we already radiated that tumor back in December and it didn't kill it.  This tumor was inoperable back in December.  It is now in a spot where the surgeon feels surgery will help.  The tumor is about 2.5 inches at its widest so there is a bit to remove.

The plan is tumor removal on the 27th or at least as much of the tumor as they can get.  They want to get me back on Keytruda ASAP after surgery in the hopes that it will knock out all the scraps left behind.  They have said radiation is a better option at that point, if needed.  This is the only cancer I have left right now, so I am going for it.  Any experience out there with this type of surgery?  Curious about any thoughts you all might have?

As always, we fight on!

Brad

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Newmanbell
        Participant

Keep these success stories coming, I am overwhelmed with fear for my husband.  Congrats!!!

Casitas1
          Participant

Great news! I also failed ippi/nivo but responded to Pembro right away. My met in jawbone was last to resolve. Doc said bone mets take awhile to respond.

Best, Paul

sister of patient
            Participant

That's a fabulous response Brad, so pleased for you!! Of all the bone mets my sister had, aside from the spine, she felt the rib mets were most painful, so yeah, she can relate! Your plan though of surgery and then back on keytruda sounds excellent. Here's hoping this will rid you of this monster permanently!!!! Best wishes!

Barb

ToddG
              Participant

I hope they knock it all out!  Good Luck!

Todd

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics