The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good news…bad news…another brain surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community Good news…bad news…another brain surgery

Participant
      HI – my husband, Larry, had his quarterly scans and the good news is that there is no evidence of cancer in his body. His brain – always the problem child – is not as clear. The MRI shows an increase in edema and possible met recurrence in the surgical cavity from his March 2018 craniotomy. He’s scheduled for his 4th craniotomy next week to clean out the “stuff”. We thought he’d just have gamma knife but this would be the 3rd time for this spot (first gamma in 2015 and second following the 2018 surgery) and his radiation oncologist was less than enthusiastic given the presence of inflammation. So here we go again….hoping for his usual ability to bounce back but not sure how many times a brain can be withstand this procedure. Assuming he will resume Keytruda/Tafinlar post surgery. One thing at a time – what else can you do! This will also provide the opportunity to do a full genetic assessment of the tumor – maybe we’ll find a mutation that will lead to a new treatment.

Ann.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Good grief!! So sorry you and Larry have to ride this [un]merry-go-round one more time, Ann! But, you two are an awesome team and Larry is one tough customer, so I know the two of you can pull through this one more time. Plus, I do think additional tumor testing could be really beneficial. Glad of the rest of his bod is being dull and boring! Hang in there. I wish you both my best. Celeste
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics