The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good News and a Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Good News and a Question

Participant

I am Stage 3a with micromets to the Sentinel node only.  Had scans 5 months ago showed a couple abnormalities.  I had a follow up brain/head MRI and Chest CT yesterday.  The 2 mm and 3 mm nodules in right lung did not grow  and Onc. Told me he feels that they are granulomas and nothing to worry about.  That being said, he wants a follow up CT in 6 months.  The uptake is still " different" on the top of my head, but he said that they feel it's nothing. Possibly an abnormality that resulted from a head injury when I was a kid.  He won't order another MRI for a year.  All blood work including LDH normal.  Now the question….I am thinking of getting my next CT scan locally because of the distance I have to travel. I live in a smallish town in the U. P.   Would people in this group feel OK doing that? Or should I stick with the scans at U of M?   Opinions requested.  Thanks! 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Now-a-days almost all medical imaging is stored in a digital format and can easily be emailed from one place to another. So as long as you local imaging center has the right type of imaging equipment there should be no problem with having the scans done close to your home and have the images emailed to your oncologist or to the radiologist of your choice.

POW
          Participant

Now-a-days almost all medical imaging is stored in a digital format and can easily be emailed from one place to another. So as long as you local imaging center has the right type of imaging equipment there should be no problem with having the scans done close to your home and have the images emailed to your oncologist or to the radiologist of your choice.

POW
            Participant

tcell
              Participant

I discussed the same with my oncologist. CT scans might be too large to email but you could probably ask them to send them per standard mail on a DVD.

Then there is the decision if you also want the imaging center close to you to have a baseline CT or if you just have them do their first CT without any baseline to compare.

I would probably first ask the U of M if they could email a DVD with your last scans so you could bring them along for your first CT in the new center.

tcell
                Participant

I discussed the same with my oncologist. CT scans might be too large to email but you could probably ask them to send them per standard mail on a DVD.

Then there is the decision if you also want the imaging center close to you to have a baseline CT or if you just have them do their first CT without any baseline to compare.

I would probably first ask the U of M if they could email a DVD with your last scans so you could bring them along for your first CT in the new center.

tcell
                  Participant

G-Samsa
                    Participant

You might want to double-check with your doc…. Scans I had in a hospital in Nebraska were rejected by MSKCC because they didn't match up with the images required by their system.  I don't know too much about the fine points of scan, but I take it  your doctor may need to prescribe a specific staging or resolution?  to be consistent with other imagery.

G-Samsa
                      Participant

You might want to double-check with your doc…. Scans I had in a hospital in Nebraska were rejected by MSKCC because they didn't match up with the images required by their system.  I don't know too much about the fine points of scan, but I take it  your doctor may need to prescribe a specific staging or resolution?  to be consistent with other imagery.

G-Samsa
                        Participant

Thandster
                          Participant

Hi momrn5,

You can do the scan and have them forwarded to U of M. I think in general they prefer to have them done at U of M because they know the people reading them, but I know someone who for a year or so had them done every few months in GR and forwarded to Ann Arbor before his next appointment. 

The other option that this guy wound up doing is to have them schedule the scan in the morning and your appointment with the oncologist (Dr Lao) in the afternoon so you have the scan and get results the same day saving you an extra trip. 

I've had them do that for me before as well.

good luck!

Thandster
                            Participant

Hi momrn5,

You can do the scan and have them forwarded to U of M. I think in general they prefer to have them done at U of M because they know the people reading them, but I know someone who for a year or so had them done every few months in GR and forwarded to Ann Arbor before his next appointment. 

The other option that this guy wound up doing is to have them schedule the scan in the morning and your appointment with the oncologist (Dr Lao) in the afternoon so you have the scan and get results the same day saving you an extra trip. 

good luck!

Momrn5
                                Participant

Thank you to all for the input!

Momrn5
                                  Participant

Momrn5
                                    Participant

Thandster
                                    Participant

Hi momrn5,

good luck!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics