The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good News

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Good News

Participant

I went for screening today, and I am enrolled in a research study of  DPCP at Rockefeller University Hospital.  Dr. James Krueger is running the trial.  

I went for screening today, and I am enrolled in a research study of  DPCP at Rockefeller University Hospital.  Dr. James Krueger is running the trial.  

I go for my first appointment Monday morning; they will do a biopsy on one of my many mets, ultrasound, bloodwork, photography and some other stuff.   At this appointment, they apply the medicine to a spot on each arm and on one met.  this is to see if my skin responds to it (they call it sensitizing) and I'll know if i respond by a rash.  Possibly very itchy and even blister-y.  Who knew i'd ever be wishing for a rash!

According to Dr. Krueger, in studies done in Australia, the  response rate is 50%.  Highest odds I've gotten yet.

I am cautiously optimistic and I feel lucky to be in this small study.  There will be only about 12 other participants.  The drug company, Hapten Pharmaceuticals, is small and does not have the money for a larger study/trial.  It's being funded by a variety of sources, one of which is a private foundation.  

At the same time, I will be part of a larger study (60 people) for something called a Melanoma Advanced Imaging Dermascope (mAID).  it is  new device that may predict if a skin lesion is likely to be cancerous or not.  The goal is to noninvasively predict the prognosis of a lesion to avoid the occurences of unnecessary biopsies.  Good stuff.

I'll keep you guys posted.

karen

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant

Forgot to include:  Study drug is to treat cutaneous Melanoma metastases.  for once, I was just what they were looking for!

karen

NYKaren
          Participant

Forgot to include:  Study drug is to treat cutaneous Melanoma metastases.  for once, I was just what they were looking for!

karen

NYKaren
            Participant

karen

lhaley
              Participant

I'm so glad you were able to find a trial!!!   Hope it shows a rash!!  that does sound so negative but it sounds like that's a thing.

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

I'm so glad you were able to find a trial!!!   Hope it shows a rash!!  that does sound so negative but it sounds like that's a thing.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

Fen
                    Participant

Sounds like all the stars were aligned this time.  Hope it beats the ***% out of your mets.  Fen

Fen
                      Participant

Sounds like all the stars were aligned this time.  Hope it beats the ***% out of your mets.  Fen

Fen
                        Participant

aldakota22
                          Participant

Great news Karen. Praying that you are on the plus side of the odds.Looks like you are going to be occupied with all the testing and so on in this trial.Keep us posted.May The Rash be with You. Beat the Beast.   Al

NYKaren
                              Participant

Thanks so much.  you guys are great.

Al, I love it…May the rash be with you!  Last time i did Ipi, I had absolutely no rash at all! (first time I did, big time) but the colitis more than made up for it.  Seems like we're always dealing with rashes around here.

be well my friends,

karen

NYKaren
                                Participant

Al, I love it…May the rash be with you!  Last time i did Ipi, I had absolutely no rash at all! (first time I did, big time) but the colitis more than made up for it.  Seems like we're always dealing with rashes around here.

be well my friends,

karen

NYKaren
                                  Participant

be well my friends,

karen

aldakota22
                                  Participant

Great news Karen. Praying that you are on the plus side of the odds.Looks like you are going to be occupied with all the testing and so on in this trial.Keep us posted.May The Rash be with You. Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                    Participant

killmel
                                      Participant

Great news Karen…soooooooooooohappy for you.

Could you provide us with some contact info on Melanoma Advanced Imaging Dermascope (mAID) study. I know others might want to participate.

Thanks,

Danny

killmel
                                        Participant

Could you provide us with some contact info on Melanoma Advanced Imaging Dermascope (mAID) study. I know others might want to participate.

Thanks,

Danny

NYKaren
                                            Participant

thanks, Danny

The mAID study principal investigator is Dan Gareau, PhD.  His phone is 212 327 7983.  His email is [email protected]

best,

karen

NYKaren
                                              Participant

thanks, Danny

The mAID study principal investigator is Dan Gareau, PhD.  His phone is 212 327 7983.  His email is [email protected]

best,

karen

NYKaren
                                                Participant

thanks, Danny

best,

karen

killmel
                                                Participant

Thanks,

Danny

shellebrownies
                                                  Participant

Karen, this is fantastic! So glad that you found a good trial to be in! Will keep you in my thoughts! ๐Ÿ˜€

Michelle

shellebrownies
                                                    Participant

Karen, this is fantastic! So glad that you found a good trial to be in! Will keep you in my thoughts! ๐Ÿ˜€

Michelle

NYKaren
                                                        Participant
                                                          Thanks, Michelle
                                                          So good to hear from you.
                                                          Be well,
                                                          karen
                                                          NYKaren
                                                          Participant
                                                            Thanks, Michelle
                                                            Be well,
                                                            karen
                                                            NYKaren
                                                            Participant
                                                              Thanks, Michelle
                                                              Be well,
                                                              karen
                                                            shellebrownies
                                                            Participant

Michelle

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics