The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Going of keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community Going of keytruda

Participant

Hi all

my doctor and I have decided to have a go at stopping keytruda and see what happens. I will try and do 2 more infusions despite debilitating arthralgia/myalgia for which I have been on prednisone since April and trying to wean myself down. Just now on 7.5 mg per day but can't function on less. 

I will have done one year of keytruda when I stop. Has anyone stopped keytruda and had disease progression afterwards. My lung tumour has decreased from 7.9 cm to 3 cm or less with no new mets in this year of treatment and the melanoma in my nodes has disappeared. I am assuming it will take 12 weeks or so for keytruda to wash out of my system. But just wondering when ppl stop it how long has it taken for side effects to go away?

thanks for any info

anne-Louise 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Eileensulliv
        Participant

Hi Anne-Louise, I have no experience in stopping meds yet, but I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck! 

Eileensulliv
          Participant

Hi Anne-Louise, I have no experience in stopping meds yet, but I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck! 

Eileensulliv
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Hey Anne-Louise,

Sorry you have had so many problems with arthralgias.  I didn't take Keytruda…but did take Nivo/Opdivo for 2 1/2 years.  I experienced rashes, painful lesions on my tongue, vitiligo, some wheezing and some arthralgias that waxed and waned…but nothing to the extent that you have experienced!  I never had to take prednisone…just breathing treatments typical for an asthmatic and benadryl.  The arthralgias, oral lesions and rashes came and went pretty often in my first year off the meds…but were never as bad as when I was getting treatment.  They still come and go, but less often and even less dramatically.  At this point I am:  144 months since my original melanoma.  64 months Stage IV.  56 month post my first Nivo dose.  26 months since my last dose of Nivo.  And….knock on wood…remain NED for 58 months now.  Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Jubes
                  Participant

Thanks celeste! You are an inspiration. I hope my results last as long as yours

Bubbles
                    Participant

I'm betting the will!!!  C

Bubbles
                      Participant

Bubbles
                        Participant

Jubes
                          Participant

Jubes
                            Participant

Melaguy
                              Participant

Did your Vitiligo stop spreading after you stopped treatment? Thanks, hope all stay amazing with you!

Melaguy
                                Participant

Did your Vitiligo stop spreading after you stopped treatment? Thanks, hope all stay amazing with you!

Melaguy
                                  Participant

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hey Anne-Louise,

Sorry you have had so many problems with arthralgias.  I didn't take Keytruda…but did take Nivo/Opdivo for 2 1/2 years.  I experienced rashes, painful lesions on my tongue, vitiligo, some wheezing and some arthralgias that waxed and waned…but nothing to the extent that you have experienced!  I never had to take prednisone…just breathing treatments typical for an asthmatic and benadryl.  The arthralgias, oral lesions and rashes came and went pretty often in my first year off the meds…but were never as bad as when I was getting treatment.  They still come and go, but less often and even less dramatically.  At this point I am:  144 months since my original melanoma.  64 months Stage IV.  56 month post my first Nivo dose.  26 months since my last dose of Nivo.  And….knock on wood…remain NED for 58 months now.  Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Hey Anne-Louise,

arthurjedi007
                                      Participant

With Keytruda after the first couple weeks I had almost no side affects except an occasional low grade fever. I also was on it about 12 months. So I can't really say. But after the second dose of nivolumab it knocks my socks off every few days. Been on it since May 11. Kind of weird since they are basically the same medicine. Side affects don't seem to be getting any better either. Maybe worse especially my stomach. So it's a thought if you want to switch to nivo and maybe you'll get the almost no side affects like I had on Keytruda. I dunno. Just a thought.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                        Participant

With Keytruda after the first couple weeks I had almost no side affects except an occasional low grade fever. I also was on it about 12 months. So I can't really say. But after the second dose of nivolumab it knocks my socks off every few days. Been on it since May 11. Kind of weird since they are basically the same medicine. Side affects don't seem to be getting any better either. Maybe worse especially my stomach. So it's a thought if you want to switch to nivo and maybe you'll get the almost no side affects like I had on Keytruda. I dunno. Just a thought.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                          Participant

Artie

Jubes
                                              Participant

Hi artie. Hope you're going well on the nivo. I know I've read it before but why did you change from keytruda to nivo?

tks anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                Participant

Hi artie. Hope you're going well on the nivo. I know I've read it before but why did you change from keytruda to nivo?

tks anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                  Participant

tks anne-Louise 

arthurjedi007
                                                    Participant

They ran out of keytruda one day. So was either come back next day or switch to nivo.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

They ran out of keytruda one day. So was either come back next day or switch to nivo.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                        Participant

Artie

Thandster
                                                          Participant

Hi Artie,

when you say the Nivo really knocks your socks off, what do you mean? And what kind of stomach problems do you have?

I had my third infusion last Friday and have not felt very good since. I've been concerned that maybe this means it's no longer working. I'm not having nausea or anything, my stomach just doesn't quite feel right. 

thanks and good luck with the treatment

Thandster
                                                            Participant

Hi Artie,

when you say the Nivo really knocks your socks off, what do you mean? And what kind of stomach problems do you have?

I had my third infusion last Friday and have not felt very good since. I've been concerned that maybe this means it's no longer working. I'm not having nausea or anything, my stomach just doesn't quite feel right. 

Thandster
                                                              Participant

Hi Artie,

arthurjedi007
                                                                Participant

Some days I just feel crummy. Not quite like having the flu but similar. On those days lots of fatigue. My stomach is like you say just not quite right. Pretty much all the time with the stomach . I'll eat a couple bites and feel full. Have to slowly take about an hour to get a small portion down. It's queezy. But I've only thrown up once which was over a month ago. I'm trying to do the usual several small meals and things like the nurses say. I guess I just got used to keytruda for so long it was like taking nothing for me anyway whereas this has these few sideaffects. Nothing like zelboraf though that was really awful sideaffects for me.

Dont know if it doesn't mean it's not working. I don't think so though cause my head MRI last week was pretty good. No new stuff and the one I have pressing on the brain only grew maybe by point 2 cm in 8 months. either that or it shrank and grew and is about the same. Will know for sure in a couple weeks when my doc gets a copy of the NIH scans. He also said if there was anything of concern in the ct they would have said so will know from him in a couple weeks. Concern would be new stuff or rapid growth so I think it's working about the same or better than keytruda. Just has more side affects for me.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                  Participant

Some days I just feel crummy. Not quite like having the flu but similar. On those days lots of fatigue. My stomach is like you say just not quite right. Pretty much all the time with the stomach . I'll eat a couple bites and feel full. Have to slowly take about an hour to get a small portion down. It's queezy. But I've only thrown up once which was over a month ago. I'm trying to do the usual several small meals and things like the nurses say. I guess I just got used to keytruda for so long it was like taking nothing for me anyway whereas this has these few sideaffects. Nothing like zelboraf though that was really awful sideaffects for me.

Dont know if it doesn't mean it's not working. I don't think so though cause my head MRI last week was pretty good. No new stuff and the one I have pressing on the brain only grew maybe by point 2 cm in 8 months. either that or it shrank and grew and is about the same. Will know for sure in a couple weeks when my doc gets a copy of the NIH scans. He also said if there was anything of concern in the ct they would have said so will know from him in a couple weeks. Concern would be new stuff or rapid growth so I think it's working about the same or better than keytruda. Just has more side affects for me.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                    Participant

Artie

Jubes
                                                                      Participant

That's great artie! Hope it keeps those mets small or gets rid of them! Thanks for your answer 

Jubes
                                                                        Participant

That's great artie! Hope it keeps those mets small or gets rid of them! Thanks for your answer 

Jubes
                                                                          Participant

DianaD
                                                                            Participant

Artie, you may want to give ginger a try for its anti-nause effects.  I find the candy losenges to be very effective.  

DianaD
                                                                              Participant

Artie, you may want to give ginger a try for its anti-nause effects.  I find the candy losenges to be very effective.  

DianaD
                                                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics