The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

going grey

Forums General Melanoma Community going grey

Participant

hi all

Has anyone lost hair from the ipi/nivo combo?  If so, did it grow back?

Also, my eyebrows, eyelashes and other body hair are turning grey – did this happen to anyone else?

Did 7 weeks of ipi/nivo and had to stop 2 weeks ago due to pituitary inflamation 

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aaron
        Participant

Karen,  this is so strange because I have pituatary problems as well and have possible vitiligo coming on as well!  I saw an endocrinologist today. My oncologist dr seems optimistic that I have both pituatary and vitiligo even though he won't come out and say it. Basically that these are positive signs and possible good things.  

Aaron
          Participant

Karen,  this is so strange because I have pituatary problems as well and have possible vitiligo coming on as well!  I saw an endocrinologist today. My oncologist dr seems optimistic that I have both pituatary and vitiligo even though he won't come out and say it. Basically that these are positive signs and possible good things.  

Aaron
            Participant

WithinMySkin
              Participant
                I, too, lost quite a bit of hair during my treatment with Ipi/nivo. My second (and last) infusion was in May, and I’m still losing hair. I’ve also lost half my eyelashes and gained a bit of facial fuzz, probably due to the steroids. I’m very prone to hair loss due to stress as well. Hoping it’ll start regrowing soon!
                WithinMySkin
                Participant
                  I, too, lost quite a bit of hair during my treatment with Ipi/nivo. My second (and last) infusion was in May, and I’m still losing hair. I’ve also lost half my eyelashes and gained a bit of facial fuzz, probably due to the steroids. I’m very prone to hair loss due to stress as well. Hoping it’ll start regrowing soon!
                  WithinMySkin
                  Participant
                    Beehappy
                    Participant

My husband is at the end of a year trial (either Ipi or Nivo) and he has turned noticeably grey.  He hasn't had hair loss, but his hair has grown unusually fast during his treatment.  

Beehappy
                      Participant

My husband is at the end of a year trial (either Ipi or Nivo) and he has turned noticeably grey.  He hasn't had hair loss, but his hair has grown unusually fast during his treatment.  

Beehappy
                        Participant

Patina
                          Participant

My Mom's hair was pure white, but after ipi and gamma knife radiation her white hair has a bit of color and light and dark grey with some black strands too.

She has had very good results with ipi, but is now on Keytruda. Her hair color is becoming more noticeable and she has vitiligo and her results with the cancer have just been amazing.

Patina
                            Participant

My Mom's hair was pure white, but after ipi and gamma knife radiation her white hair has a bit of color and light and dark grey with some black strands too.

She has had very good results with ipi, but is now on Keytruda. Her hair color is becoming more noticeable and she has vitiligo and her results with the cancer have just been amazing.

Patina
                              Participant

CHRISNYC
                                Participant

My ippi/nivo treatment caused my eye lashes and a number of other areas to go white.   The treatment team  explained that it was due to the treatment and encouraged me with the idea that I was responding to the drugs.  For now I have had shrinking and no new mets so I think it's a good thing to have the white stuff happening.     Hope you get the results we all need.  

CHRISNYC
                                  Participant

My ippi/nivo treatment caused my eye lashes and a number of other areas to go white.   The treatment team  explained that it was due to the treatment and encouraged me with the idea that I was responding to the drugs.  For now I have had shrinking and no new mets so I think it's a good thing to have the white stuff happening.     Hope you get the results we all need.  

CHRISNYC
                                    Participant

Maria C
                                      Participant

Hi there – 

Yes, as others here have mentioned, grey or white hair may be a sign of vitilogo which is associated with a better prognosis. My eyebrows, eyelashes, and all body hair has turned white along with skin discoloration on my arms & legs and cheekbones. I was at first bothered by these visible signs of my cancer treatment, but now believe they are a daily reminder that there is hope for me yet!! 

What does your oncologist say about this side effect for you?

Maria C
                                        Participant

Hi there – 

Yes, as others here have mentioned, grey or white hair may be a sign of vitilogo which is associated with a better prognosis. My eyebrows, eyelashes, and all body hair has turned white along with skin discoloration on my arms & legs and cheekbones. I was at first bothered by these visible signs of my cancer treatment, but now believe they are a daily reminder that there is hope for me yet!! 

KAF
                                            Participant

Hi Maria – haven't seen my oncologist since noticing the white hair.  I go back next week.

thanks all for the positive feedback.  I'll take the white hair any day if it takes away the cancer along with the color.

KAF
                                              Participant

Hi Maria – haven't seen my oncologist since noticing the white hair.  I go back next week.

thanks all for the positive feedback.  I'll take the white hair any day if it takes away the cancer along with the color.

KAF
                                                Participant

Maria C
                                                Participant

Hi there – 

Maria C
                                                  Participant

Hi there – 

Maria C
                                                    Participant

Hi there – 

Maria C
                                                      Participant

Hi there – 

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics