The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Going for Surgery 12/3/13!

Forums General Melanoma Community Going for Surgery 12/3/13!

Participant

Hi, folks. I am an infrequent lurker/poster. Many of you have heard my story, but here is the brief summary.

Diagnosed Stage IV six years ago, on Sorefenib for 4.5 years, then a pesky tumor on my right adrenal gland grew to 6 cm. It was pressing on my inferior vena cava and was growing towards my renal arteries. NOT GOOD! Got into the Roche BRAF/MEK Phase Ib trial and have had great results. All tumors now non-reactive on PET scan (adrenal tumor had a SUV of 9 when we started) and the adrenal tumor down to 1.7cm. Only other remaining tumors are a few small lung nodules.

So, my oncologist, Dr. Daud at UCSF, and I decided to have that problematic little adrenal tumor taken out and he amazingly got the drug company ok to do so and leave me on trial. Scheduled for what we hope is laparoscopic surgery on Tuesday, and if all goes according to plan I will be back to baseline in one to two weeks. That way, when the BRAF/MEK combo stops working won't have that adrenal gland tumor to worry about.

That's my update. Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving/Chanukah!

With lots of love and gratitude,

Eileen from San Francisco!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Congratulations, Eileen! It sounds as though you have made a number of smart decisions over the years and you are beating this beast one battle at a time. You go, girl!

I really like your plan of having the adrendal tumor removed now, while it is small. Very smart! Are you planning to contiue the BRAF/MEK or are you thinking of moving to some other treatment soon?

I hope your surgery and recovery go very well and that you have a wonderful holiday season. Please do let us know how things work out for you.

POW
          Participant

Congratulations, Eileen! It sounds as though you have made a number of smart decisions over the years and you are beating this beast one battle at a time. You go, girl!

I really like your plan of having the adrendal tumor removed now, while it is small. Very smart! Are you planning to contiue the BRAF/MEK or are you thinking of moving to some other treatment soon?

I hope your surgery and recovery go very well and that you have a wonderful holiday season. Please do let us know how things work out for you.

POW
            Participant

MaryD
              Participant

Hi Eileen . .wow – that is great news!   Now you can finally be done with that annoying thing  ๐Ÿ™‚

Wishing you good luck on 12/3 and it was good seeing you at the symposium awhile back in SF.

Enjoy the holidays and keep on traveling!

Mary

MaryD
                Participant

Hi Eileen . .wow – that is great news!   Now you can finally be done with that annoying thing  ๐Ÿ™‚

Wishing you good luck on 12/3 and it was good seeing you at the symposium awhile back in SF.

Mary

MaryD
                  Participant

Mary

kylez
                    Participant

Eileen,

How did the surgery go? Did you  have to stay in the hospital or could you go home the same day?

The drug combo sounds really powerful. It must be a huge relief to take the adrenal tumor taken out, and a great plan with Dr. Daud that lets you do this.

Heal up soon!

– Kyle 

kylez
                      Participant

Eileen,

How did the surgery go? Did you  have to stay in the hospital or could you go home the same day?

The drug combo sounds really powerful. It must be a huge relief to take the adrenal tumor taken out, and a great plan with Dr. Daud that lets you do this.

Heal up soon!

– Kyle 

kylez
                        Participant

Eileen,

Heal up soon!

– Kyle 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics